THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Project van begins - NomadicMissionary

Heavenly Creature
    I like the roof, much brighter than wood all round
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989

very nice

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's getting there little by little.

I'm also pleased with the roof vanwoman, it was a lot of work joining the sheets with routered out batons but it's finished it nicely.

You can't see the floor clearly for rubbish but I drew lines across the ply with with a marker, used some wood dye on it and then a coat of varnish and it looks just like floorboards. Will just want a good rub down and and a couple more coats of varnish when I've finished everything else.

So the seating is almost finished. The bench will function as extra seating when needed, a table when raised up on a pole, or a cover for the hob/sink when not in use.

I brought a memory foam mattress and underestimated just how heavy foam can be... It's rather thick (need a ladder to climb on top it, 10 inches thick!).
    I may need to find a way to slice it horizontally. An electric bread knife just about did it the other way but to slice it thinner may prove trickier.

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Blimey! 10" is a bit OTT... I've got 3" foam for my bench seats, and 4" for my mattress!!!

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    Blimey! 10" is a bit OTT... I've got 3" foam for my bench seats, and 4" for my mattress!!!
    I think the lady I bought it from nearly shed a tear when I told her my intentions for her prized kingsize sleepshaper mattress! It was local and cheap but yes far more OTT than expected. I wondered if I could separate the top memory layers from the bottom foam, the memory foam seems heavier and denser and I suppose there would be little support with no regular foam underneath it.

Bet it's well comfy though!
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, Sootyfoot

A bit more on the seating area. A hatch to slide the water tank in/out if necessary.

Work commences on the kitchen:

After shaving the foam down a tad Christina has done wonders with the cushions. (Old quilt cover from a charity shop put to good use until we can get some decent fabric, but I quite like it!)

When we bought our oven and hob from a local caravan breakers the bloke said they don't disconnect the pipe work neatly but break the pipe to prevent DIY attempts at an install going badly. I asked whether the pipe would be joined with a new length and he said 'No the casing needs to be opened, old pipe removed and a new length of pipe connected professionally', does that sound right?

Heavenly Creature
    That's just mean! Imagine if breakers did that with car parts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy