Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Project van begins - NomadicMissionary

Heavenly Creature
    I like the roof, much brighter than wood all round
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989

very nice

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's getting there little by little.

I'm also pleased with the roof vanwoman, it was a lot of work joining the sheets with routered out batons but it's finished it nicely.

You can't see the floor clearly for rubbish but I drew lines across the ply with with a marker, used some wood dye on it and then a coat of varnish and it looks just like floorboards. Will just want a good rub down and and a couple more coats of varnish when I've finished everything else.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

So the seating is almost finished. The bench will function as extra seating when needed, a table when raised up on a pole, or a cover for the hob/sink when not in use.

I brought a memory foam mattress and underestimated just how heavy foam can be... It's rather thick (need a ladder to climb on top it, 10 inches thick!).
    I may need to find a way to slice it horizontally. An electric bread knife just about did it the other way but to slice it thinner may prove trickier.

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, patchypete, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Blimey! 10" is a bit OTT... I've got 3" foam for my bench seats, and 4" for my mattress!!!

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    Blimey! 10" is a bit OTT... I've got 3" foam for my bench seats, and 4" for my mattress!!!
    I think the lady I bought it from nearly shed a tear when I told her my intentions for her prized kingsize sleepshaper mattress! It was local and cheap but yes far more OTT than expected. I wondered if I could separate the top memory layers from the bottom foam, the memory foam seems heavier and denser and I suppose there would be little support with no regular foam underneath it.

Bet it's well comfy though!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, jonathanh1989, Sootyfoot

A bit more on the seating area. A hatch to slide the water tank in/out if necessary.

Work commences on the kitchen:

After shaving the foam down a tad Christina has done wonders with the cushions. (Old quilt cover from a charity shop put to good use until we can get some decent fabric, but I quite like it!)

When we bought our oven and hob from a local caravan breakers the bloke said they don't disconnect the pipe work neatly but break the pipe to prevent DIY attempts at an install going badly. I asked whether the pipe would be joined with a new length and he said 'No the casing needs to be opened, old pipe removed and a new length of pipe connected professionally', does that sound right?

The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    That's just mean! Imagine if breakers did that with car parts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy

Project van begins - NomadicMissionary

I can see their point, after all a gas leak in a van is basically a bomb...ever seen the damage a gas explosion can do?
    After all a pipe is cheap to replace and it is best to have gas appliances fitted properly or at least by a peep who knows what they are doing.. just my 2p worth
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, cricket, jonathanh1989, ma bungo, patchypete

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    I can see their point, after all a gas leak in a van is basically a bomb...ever seen the damage a gas explosion can do?
    After all a pipe is cheap to replace and it is best to have gas appliances fitted properly or at least by a peep who knows what they are doing.. just my 2p worth
    and welcome back to the forums mate
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, Sootyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by patchypete View Post
    and welcome back to the forums mate
    Cheers Pete..

The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Kitchen's coming along now.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, julianthegypsy, kiwikid, patchypete, Rick69, Sootyfoot

No real updates yet. We now have the hob and oven up and running, just want to get the gas checked over by someone with more experience than myself before we are using it regularly. I trimmed the bottom of the door off and fitted a proper threshold which has resulted in a much smoother closing, and hopefully more watertight, door.
    We are excitedly awaiting a stove to be made and fitted by a somewhat notorious stove maker!
    I may make the most of the heat after work this evening and paint some of the back wall with some Teamac enamel to see how it takes.

We are off to a Christian music festival next weekend, in the van! It will be the first time we've slept in it, exciting times

Next big job is to start on the shower area/toilet (I'd been putting it off but everything else is almost done now).
    I have a fiamma water tank and a want to attach a submersible pump and exterior fill cap. Do I attach hose from it using jubilee clips like I would with gas hose?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Miss_bee

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Ahem. The steel has arrived!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

All ready for our first night in the van!

Gas all completed minus a door. There are 2 floor vents, one underneath the bottle and one behind with cutouts in the ply to let any escaped gas down to them.

Started work on the shower area/toilet.

The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, cricket, Danbot, Offgrid hero, realnutter, wanderingwill

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanh1989 View Post
    All ready for our first night in the van!

Gas all completed minus a door. There are 2 floor vents, one underneath the bottle and one behind with cutouts in the ply to let any escaped gas down to them.

Started work on the shower area/toilet.

I have exactly the same porthole mirror! Except needs new mirror as it broke.. if you want a second one I have one

The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, Miss_bee

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    I have exactly the same porthole mirror! Except needs new mirror as it broke.. if you want a second one I have one
    It's actually not mirrored, it's a glass opening one. I paid a fortune for it only to discover it opens the wrong way to be of any use where I wanted it, so I've used it here to draw some light in from the shower room. My wife has mentioned the need for a mirror on numerous occasions so may be interested in yours, have you got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanh1989 View Post
    It's actually not mirrored, it's a glass opening one. I paid a fortune for it only to discover it opens the wrong way to be of any use where I wanted it, so I've used it here to draw some light in from the shower room. My wife has mentioned the need for a mirror on numerous occasions so may be interested in yours, have you got a pic?
    It's at home in Durham, pm me your email and when I'm back home I will take pics n email you, you can have it for postage..

Dirty Roof:

Clean Roof:

Painted Roof:

Lesson learnt:
    Acrypol is rather gloopy, to use a roller is a bad idea unless you're going for the AstroTurf effect!
    A brush spreads it quite well but doesn't have the reach of a roller on a pole so I brushed what I could reach and bodged the rest with a roller. On reflection I should have got up on top and done the lot with a brush. I also wish I'd painted it before I fixed the solar panels in place last year - I can't get to the bolts holding them in place so have had to paint around them.

Newest addition to the family, thanks to the wonderful Fireweaver Julian!

Water tank all connected:

Window finished off:

Cabinet Doors nearly completed:

A bit of storage with a sliding door:

Shower tray in, framed and braced with baton, still not sure about the strength of it but time will tell:

Slide out wardrobe well on it's way to completion:

The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, cricket, realnutter, Rick69, Sootyfoot

With a week off work I planned to paint the van but the rains preventing that at the moment.
    We had a couple around yesterday evening who have been living in a van for 4 years now, they were full of useful knowledge and mentioned a local chemical plant has a weigh bridge so I paid them a visit today.

3 ton 20kg, much better than expected. That was carrying 4 hefty lengths of timber (easily covering the weight of the little battens/ply required to finish everything off), a long ladder, spare wheel and 1/3 tank of fuel. 200kg for ourselves and some water, a few more kgs for a full tank of fuel leaves us with a payload of around 250k. Yes I realise 250kg will soon go and food/clothes/belongings all weigh but I'm just relieved the van itself with us in it isn't overweight!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Now you know its there it shouldnt be too much bother to go back once its completed. All sounds a bit tight though! I believe you are allowed to be a little over before they start fining you, might be worth checking out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Now you know its there it shouldnt be too much bother to go back once its completed. All sounds a bit tight though! I believe you are allowed to be a little over before they start fining you, might be worth checking out...
    Weight wise it's basically there already. A bathroom & wardrobe door, couple of small cabinet doors, few bits of wood for the toilet and a few bits of trim and it's done. The Ladder and timber I was carrying more than made up for it.
    My main concern was the van itself coming in at 3.5 or more and being unable to shed anything to make it legal, not even like I could get it re-registered as 4.5, not without getting a new license. If our stuff ever did take us over at least we could ditch the water and throw away what was necessary, swallow the fine and go on our way.

I believer you get 5% grace which actually gives us an extra 175kg to eat into at a push.

Heavenly Creature
    You can be overweight on the axles as well as the gross. Some picky white hats might weight your axles individually.
    You could try shoving a generator in the bathroom, say you work the fairgrounds and re register as Special Vehicle. that way it can weigh whatever and still legally be driven on a car license.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, cricket, jonathanh1989, Miss_bee