THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overwhelming feeling of something 'more' but struggling to define

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by matt87
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Case in point, I was sitting on my patio on a sunny afternoon looking down the garden to the fields in the distance. For whatever reason, the reflection of the sun on my glass got me interested and I spent a while just gently turning and tipping it to watch the reflections change. I got totally zoned out by this and then sat back to look down the garden again.
    Yes, I'm sure that many people have similar experiences, and they are life-enhancing and free, by golly. I sometimes have to avoid giving my brain time to engage with landscape, movement, etc because I could spend hours studying and getting absorbed into it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sex
    Female
    It feels like a voice you can barely hear,a stirring of the senses,a silence and stillness of complete focus.A feeling of something about to happen,poised,ready.I like walking in the moonlight in the wild places. I feel it strong then.Maybe its the universal consciousness or maybe not.Maybe its the primeval drive of instinct and intuition and utter here and now focus.I feel certain modern society has corrupted our ability to truly see ,but we still do have it in us all somewhere.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by cricket
    It feels like a voice you can barely hear,a stirring of the senses,a silence and stillness of complete focus.A feeling of something about to happen,poised,ready.I like walking in the moonlight in the wild places. I feel it strong then.
    That too, at full moon, and even then you can step on stuff.

I feel certain modern society has corrupted our ability to truly see ,but we still do have it in us all somewhere.
    We live among lounge dwellers. I think the rot started with TVs, fitted carpets and frozen food.

I think many now life is so disconnected, almost isolated in what ever little bubble. Initially I could not think why frozen food would affect that change. But of course it has changed the way we shop, and how we cook or not. Perhaps modern society has robbed us of a sense of self, and a spiritual experience gives us that.
    ďIn the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.Ē Ė

Sex
    Male
    I sometimes sit back and look at people milling about doing things and, I don’t know, I feel detached - like it’s all superficial and, crucially, missing some very important point. Likewise, when I’m walking, have the wind in my face and look back over stunning scenery I feel more connected than ever to, well, something. I don’t know, I guess ‘it’ is some sort of meditative expression of the world that I feel the everyday world and its pleasures kind of overlooks.
    You've summed it up in one for me. I'm not a people person, dislike towns with their 'dead' crowds of shoppers especially this time of year where and I avoid going in unless I have to. Yesterday was one such occasion to stock up on meds and perishables. Whilst dodging the trolley surfers and peeps who didn't have a clue on what they wanted I overheard two lots of shoppers, one in the chilled food area and the other in the booze area both say ' it's only for one day'. I bit my tongue wondering what they did for the other 364. (but thanks to them holding me up by blocking my way I saw / picked up a reasonably good sounding 'mushroom nut roast' and some stilton, yummy in lots of things and my only indulgence.)
    Society has set it's 'norm' and people just work themselves into the ground to maintain it at whatever cost to their lives financially and mentally. The latest gadgets, convenience food, tv, the new car ect,. Not my world.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Sex
    Female
    mine either mate!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    It's an odd thing. By all accounts, the last few years have been pretty awful for the world, and yet I have felt an overwhelming optimism. It feels to me to be on the brink of something wonderful. The nearest that I can describe it, is like when you are a child at this time of year and you are looking forward to Christmas, or birthday or holiday. That's not it exactly, but the best I can do with words.

Things that would have in the past worried me, now just seem inconsequential.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Transcending
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    It's an odd thing. By all accounts, the last few years have been pretty awful for the world, and yet I have felt an overwhelming optimism. It feels to me to be on the brink of something wonderful. The nearest that I can describe it, is like when you are a child at this time of year and you are looking forward to Christmas, or birthday or holiday. That's not it exactly, but the best I can do with words.

Things that would have in the past worried me, now just seem inconsequential.
    I feel a bit like that, Parrot, probably not overwhelming optimism but I do kind of feel that I'm strong enough to cope (most of the time, anyway). I do feel as if the current way things are done is dying and that the negatives we are seeing are almost like the old ways fighting frantically to hold on. Can't really explain it very well, I do seem to meet/know more and more people who want to change but don't quite know how, I don't know if that's because I feel like that I sort of cross paths with those sort of people more or if there are more of them about but it does feel different, in some way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow