THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelming feeling of something 'more' but struggling to define

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male

Overwhelming feeling of something 'more' but struggling to define

Hi everyone,

I donít know if anyone will relate to what Iím saying and Iím kind of worried I might come across as a loon writing it all out as Iíve never spoken this way before, but here it goes.

In recent times Iíve had this nagging feeling that Iím missing out on something very important Ė itís not people, itís not things, itís, well, something bigger and much more fundamental than that. I really donít know what it is; itís just an overwhelming feeling I have.

I sometimes sit back and look at people milling about doing things and, I donít know, I feel detached - like itís all superficial and, crucially, missing some very important point. Likewise, when Iím walking, have the wind in my face and look back over stunning scenery I feel more connected than ever to, well, something. I donít know, I guess Ďití is some sort of meditative expression of the world that I feel the everyday world and its pleasures kind of overlooks.

I just wish I could hold on to and fully embrace whatever Ďití is. Anyway, from a person whoís writing about something theyíre completely struggling to define, I hope you can make some sense of my ramblings.

Best wishes
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Levey, parrotandcrow, pebbles, wurzel, zendaze

I know exactly what you are trying to describe. I think it's a common feeling actually. For anyone who takes the time to step outside of the rat-race and think for a moment, anyway.

I really think it's up to you to work out what that feeling means to you. Some people seem to easily describe the connection and emotion that they feel. They interpret it as a connection to God, or nature, or a cosmic consciousness, or whatever it is. I am not saying that any of those interpretations are wrong, just that none of them really work for me.

It's frustrating actually. I often feel like some of the most vast and important feelings of my life are completely inexplicable and indescribable. I try not to get too hung up on it. But know that you are not alone
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, matt87

Sex
    Female
    This makes complete sense, and you are very definitely not alone. Depending on what you read, its called 'the shift'. The starting point of a spiritual awakening, transcending the distractions of modern life, and yearning to be connected to consciousness.

I think there's more and more people feeling like something is missing, or that they are waiting for something momentous to happen, and they cant quite put their finger on it.

I often feel strange, like I'm waiting or expecting something, or missing something that will make the whole thing click into place and make sense 😊
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, matt87, r3ubs

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Thatís a brilliant response guys! So glad to hear others feeling the same
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its vagueness is frustrating but at least itís reminding me of the beauty in taking pause - to just be in the environment and properly experience/feel it. See, historically, Iíve been pretty energetic, both outwardly and inwardly, so Iíve certainly fallen foul of hurrying through life. I guess that, now Iíve learned to slow down a bit and adopt a more mindful approach, the feeling of connection to my environment can be, at times, very intense and compelling.

Case in point, I was sitting on my patio on a sunny afternoon looking down the garden to the fields in the distance. For whatever reason, the reflection of the sun on my glass got me interested and I spent a while just gently turning and tipping it to watch the reflections change. I got totally zoned out by this and then sat back to look down the garden again. I donít know what it was but I felt almost drunk or drugged (I wasnít in the slightest I must stress) and really drawn in by whatever I was connecting to Ė like a painting you wish you could step in to. Indeed, I got up and just walked down the length of the garden, through the archway to the little stream on the other side. I stood watching the sun flicker through the trees and catch on the water. I was totally Ďdrunkí mesmerised the whole time like I was dreaming. It was amazing but really quite bizarre.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, zendaze

Sex
    Male
    Makes perfect sense its like we are all crazy ants who just do we dont know why we just do, you cant fight it we have to do or i am afraid society would collapse, no point trying to make sense of it just think as everyone including yourself as an ant somehow at some piont we make ourselves however small have a purpose,

The green scenery is nice but to enjoy it we have to be ants, you stand on a mountain you see roads cars things all in rows moving along you know what they look like.....

Or in the great words of Moby We are all made of stars.

You are not a loon, you are just opening your eyes to the stupidity of the world we live in. Most people dislike their jobs and life because they are not doing what their heart desires them to do. Greed has taken over our world, big houses, cars etc and people have forgotten what it is to be simple, free and happy. Doing a job you love and were meant to do is the way to hold on to the feelings you experienced when you were out in nature.

Spiritually there is a shift/awakening coming, people are waking up, life is meant to be simple, we are meant to be happy and we need to remember what that is.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, matt87

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Thank you for taking the time to comment gee and dollybassett

Gee, I understand the Ďantí analogy and, yes, sometimes, people can feel like a drop in the ocean. But, actually the feeling Iím expressing doesnít do that to me; itís a bit like everything is cast aside and Iím connected to something simple and profound - whole if you will. Indeed, itís a very happy, peaceful moment for me. As I said, I think it manifests itself out of taking pause, casting aside all distractions and managing to intimately experience oneís environment.

Dollybasset, I think youíre right when you talk of a hunger for simplicity, freeness and happiness. Personally, Iím a very happy individual whoís always having a good laugh over something but, as much as I desire them creatively, the same levels of freeness and simplicity are harder for me.

In fact, freeness is one of the qualities that brought me here and to the hippy lifestyle in the first place. I love people that are open enough in their minds to question and discuss all matters Ė instead of just drawing all manner of lines in the sand because thatís what they believe society or whoever wants them to do. As a thinker and a learner interested in all manner of things, I see this attitude as only beneficial to individuals and communities growing in an enlightened and compassionate way.

Admittedly, though freeness in mind is one thing, similar levels of freeness in the world is quite another and, as with simplicity in a world full of elaborations and contrived ideas, these things are hard to embrace in the totality. I guess thatís what I feel when I strip everything back and experience my environment, a moment completely free of modern distractions that is simple as possible.

Never know, maybe what Iím feeling is some sort of creative yearning for an even freer, simpler approach to life...who knows. Thank you all again for your thoughts.

Sex
    Female
    What a lovely and articulate thread. This has been a real joy to read.

Matt87, I think its wonderful that you can take such pleasure from the moments you find yourself in. I'm sure that's akin to meditation of some form, being present and centered in yourself. Finding joy and beauty in marvels like reflections on water, and being in nature etc.

I think this is why we often feel discomfort when we are expected to function in a world that is actively trying to distract you, make people feel separate and apart for financial gain. I think human beings have a great need for acceptance and connection, and that's what is being sold back to us, in a strangled and corrupted way. If you are finding this connection in yourself, it can only be a good thing.
    Especially as its becoming such a commodity, to find your centre on your own is no mean feat.

Keep heading where your headed, its definitely moving in the right direction 😊
    The following users think this post is groovy: matt87

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Thanks whitepoppy for your supportive reply
    I have to say the following words of yours touched a nerve.

Originally Posted by whitepoppy
    I think human beings have a great need for acceptance and connection, and that's what is being sold back to us, in a strangled and corrupted way.
    See, Iím going to be honest and say that, for a long time, whilst outwardly very confident and happy, my self-esteem was pretty poor. That need for Ďacceptanceí you speak of drove me towards a self cast not in my own image but of others, namely the conventions of society that I felt best accorded with my family and peer groupís desires.

Most telling of this was at the point I was transitioning from college to uni where Iíd felt pressured to take particular course due to Ďsolid job prospectsí. Although more than capable in my chosen area, my persistence with the subject came not from a passion within me but from my teachersí and parentsí praise. Once I was all by myself at uni and became just one in a great number of fresh-faced students, that previous motivation vanished and I found my interest vacuous.

I was left feeling a mixture of emotions at this stage with one being to feel passionate again and the other to divest myself of all the Ďbaggageí I had accumulated. However, in both cases I adopted perversions of these goals with the first involving an innocent idea that routed me in to big business Ė which, sadly, ended up exploiting me Ė and the second in to a mass-marked lifestyle of Ďpurityí and health. I did have a lot of fun during this time and, even after it came to a head, I still managed to look back on the time in a positive light because, well, Iím a very optimistic person. But, that said, the realisation that the actual issue throughout all of this was a lack of self-esteem in the face of those around me and, of course, society was an important moment for me, and what has ultimately brought me to here to the hippy lifestyle - something which I see as fostering self-acceptance and self-expression.

Therefore, whilst the progress is still slow, itís an exciting prospect to be finally unbottling a lot of thoughts and feelings that are actually my own instead of others. Admittedly, with all this still new, thereís somewhat of a tension sometimes between the sorts of compelling experiences I started this thread talking about and the lifestyle and attendant temptations I grew up with; indeed, the former is thrilling but largely unknown whilst the latter is safe and nostalgic. How I decouple myself from not just the past but many current things too is a challenge and Iím hoping further conversation with similarly open-minded people will hasten it. To be honest, my only regret at the moment is that Iím not discussing this with such people face-to-face over a table as, boy, do I have a lot to talk about lol

Best wishes

Originally Posted by matt87
    Most telling of this was at the point I was transitioning from college to uni where Iíd felt pressured to take particular course due to Ďsolid job prospectsí. Although more than capable in my chosen area, my persistence with the subject came not from a passion within me but from my teachersí and parentsí praise. Once I was all by myself at uni and became just one in a great number of fresh-faced students, that previous motivation vanished and I found my interest vacuous.
    Wow I feel like you just described my whole university experience. Choosing a subject because everyone around me thought it was a good idea. But I'm still stuck here

Itís an exciting prospect to be finally unbottling a lot of thoughts and feelings that are actually my own instead of others.
    I think this is really powerful. Actually working out what you think and feel and teasing out which parts are authentic to you, and what is stuff thrown in there by society and other people that you've carried on doing unthinkingly. Living mindfully and deliberately is something we should all aspire to

I too know what you are taking about. It is a feeling of complete presence in the moment which connects you to the sheer beauty and awe contained in every moment. Iv been spending more and more time in this place trying to be conscious in everything I do

I don't think your missing anything. I think in these moments that the feeling of something being missing is brought about by seeing reality and this experience for what it truly is and what its all about.

When you start to recognise yourself getting lost in these moments of bliss with nothing more then the world around then you have begun to make a fundamental shift in how you perceive the world that will snowball into a completely different ways of living

I too am on this journey and have been for quite some time. My understanding has grown but there are no words for the realm I speak of. There is just intuition and feeling. And it is through this that I know there is something more to all of this- something far beyond human comprehension

Posted via the UKHIPPY Tapatalk Mobile App
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, matt87

Sex
    Female
    I must say I too found and find this topic both very beautiful and interesting as well ....Simply because of your words in the way you describe this feeling you speak off and the very true beautiful words of the other uk hippy members replies to this and their beautiful words of how they see it and feel it and understand it in their beautiful own spiritual way and it as said it is and was very pleasant to read all your views and their views too.

My own say view or beliefs of this is in one simple word to describe this is "Peace" ...Yes Peace....But in a Very Beautiful Spiritual Way ...
    You Say And Speak Off When You Go For Walks And The Wind Blows In Your Face and You Feel Connected In Some Way .....
    To Me And For Me ...This Is What I Would Say In English "Spiritual Peace " ...It happens when you take yourself off away from crowds..cities..noise etc....And your Inner Mind ..Body ..Heart ..Spirit Clears Itself Of All The Lifes Clutter Of Emotions..Thoughts ..Over Thinking ..Lifes Troubles And Worries Of Things We Want And Wish We Were Doing ..And Things Trapping Us Or Holding Us Back That Like An Endless Ticking Clock ...That Tick Tick Ticks Away Churning And Turning Our Minds Clutter Over And Over Filling Our Minds Thoughts Up Like A Continuing Over Glowing Cup ....Giving Us No True Relielf Or True Peace As That Cup Continues To Overflow And Fill Us Up With Our Minds Clutter Of Thoughts We Keep In There ..

So This "Peace" that I Speak Of ...Is This Feeling Of Emptying The Clutter Overflowing Mind Thoughts And Emotions ...And Opening Up Your Mind And Letting Your Spirit Free ....Connecting With Your Spirit And Truly Seeing And Feeling For The First Time In Many Years True Spiritual Peace ....As Your Spirit Reaches Out And Connects With All The Beautifulness Of Nature Surrounding You And Flooding You With Its True Beauty And The Feeling Of Peace As Your Mind Heart Body Spirit Are Set Free And Freeing You From All The Clutter Of Lifes Never Ending Thoughts You Keep Trapped Inside Your Mind ...Making You Feel Free Of Lifes Judgements By Others And Your Need For Acceptance By Others And Needs To Please Others As That Is What They Expect Or Want From You ...As Do Many Others Too Do Also ...Like Doing Things And Following A Path That Makes Others Happy And Makes You Feel More Accepted Etc But These You And Many Push Deep Down In Your Mind That It Is Not What You Really Want But You Go Along With It To Please Others And Be Accepted And To Fit In Etc Etc .

So This Feeling Of Something Missing Is For Me And Many The Yrie Feeling Of "Simple Peace" ....As Everything Is More Clearer ..More Beautiful .And Simply Peaceful ..And You Feel Truly Free For The First Time In Such A Long Time ....Your Heart Mind Body Spirit Feels Totally Free And At Peace ...Your Mind Is Clear And You Are More Focused And Lighter And Brighter When You Feel This True Beautiful Releasing Of Your True Inner Spirit.
    So That Is The Feeling Of Something Is Missing ...
    Because Your Heart ..Mind ..Body ..Spirit Has Been Missing
    True Peace And Free Spirit ...As It Has Been Trapped And Pushed Down Deep Inside Your Overflowing Never Ending Thoughts And Emotions Of What You Truly Want To Do And Be But They Are Also Trapped In The Cycle Of Wanting To Please Others And Needs Of Acceptance And What Is Expected Of You By Others Of What They Want You To Be And Do ..Etc .....Etc...

So Just Simply Walk Free Sometimes To Clear Your Mind And Empty That Ever Flowing Cup Of Cluttered Trapped Thoughts And Open Up Your Mind And Let Your Spirit Run Free And Find True Simple Peace In Heart Mind Body Spirit And Truly Be Free ...
    To Be You ..Truly You...And Not Live The Life Of Others Or Needs Of Acceptance By Them ....As When You Walk With Spirit ..You Become Spirit And See The Real You....Not The "You Others Want You To Do Or Be " ....And You Finally Have Acceptance And Peace ...Meaning You Accept And Embrace Who The True (You ) Is ..And What Path The True You Wants To Walk Along ....As Then You Do Not Need That From Others ....Because You Are At True Spiritual Peace With Yourself And Your Heart Mind Body And Spirit ....
    )

Well if that all kinda makes sense what i see as the missing feeling you speak off
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Sex
    Female
    And ..hahaha ..now i have no doubt confused you and others as i said its hard for me to put in english or explain something that i have been raised all my life to be like ...and to be able to do ....
    But the Key Word To Open The Lock Is
    "TO Live Life Simply"...
    If Others Do Not Accept You ..(SO BE IT)
    As There Will Always Be (Others) Who Will.
    And If Others Do Not Like What You Want To Do And Be..
    And Try To Change You And That Path You Want To Walk
    So You Make Them Happy And Not Yourself Simply To Fit IN..
    (WALK AWAY) ...From Them
    For You Will Never Be Happy Living Life To Please Others And Not Yourself ..As Your Heart Mind Body Spirit Will Be Trapped And Never Free...(AS A CAGE IS A CAGE NO MATTER HOW GUILDED THAT BE)
    Always Be Open Honest And Truthful With Yourself And Others..
    And You Will Never Have The Feeling Of Something Is MISSING ...
    Because You Are At Peace In Heart Mind Body And Spirit
    And You Will Walk With Spirit And Become Spirit And See And Touch Taste Smell And Connect And Call Upon All The True Beauty Of Natures Beautiful Great Spirit ....
    ))

Sex
    Female
    Danann, can I ask where you hail from? As you say, you are hard to understand, but your sentiments are beautiful, even if lost in translation somewhat...... Xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Sex
    Female
    Matt, its lovely to connect with people going in the right direction. I am trying to be a better human every day. I meditate, I try and fall asleep consciously, in every endeavour I try to be nice. And sometimes I wonder, for what? And then I connect with people like you, and I think, this is why!

We are all going through internal struggles, and it seems others cant or wont comprehend, but this is why we, as small groups of hope, will perceiver, because we are the human mind and heart, beating on in the face of adversity.

And its nice to connect. I've had some wine, this may not make sense, but it felt real important to say x

Sex
    Female
    Persevere is definitely spelt wrong
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Sex
    Female

Danann, can I ask where you hail from? As you say, you are hard to understand, but your sentiments are beautiful, even if lost in translation somewhat...... Xx

Hehehehe I defo get lost in translation as you say hehehehe...
    And I find it hard as i say to put into words what is more of spirit ..and connection through using all senses that many forget and that lay sleeping within them lost from times of long ago ....and which runs through my blood of my blood and teachings of spirit..earth...winds seas...skies...nature etc etc ...which there be no books to read and learn like in schools as it be teachings of
    Mind..Heart...Body..Spirit ...Makimg Us (One) .....One With The Great Spirit ..One With Mother ..One With Nature ..Etc ....
    We See And Read Beautiful Symbols And Signs ...A Bit Like The Old Ways Symbols Of ..(Earth Wind Fire ) Etc ....Because To Us ...
    "Everything Is And Has A Beautiful Symbol and Sign " Rather Than Words ....We See These Symbols In Our Hearts Minds Body Spirit
    All Life And All Things Are A Beautiful Symbol And Sign Instead Of Words ....So That Causes Me To Find It Hard To Say Things Sometimes As It Be Hard To Make Beautiful Sign And Symbols Into Words Which Many Or Most Find So Easy .....I Use All Senses And Signs And Symbols In Life ..And See And Feel The Hidden Words And Hidden Language In Life Too ....Meaning ..I Naturally Read And Trust Somebodies Body Language And Spirit Symbol/Colour Etc And Feel Them In My Spirit Mind As My Spirit Connects And Reaches Out To Them I I Naturally Without Meditation Open My Mind And Feel Sense Scent Look Etc Etc As They Speak ...As There Ae Hidden Ticks And Hidden Scents And Hidden Giveaways That Makes Me See And Feel Them The Real Them On And In A Deeper Level As Most People Only See The Outside Wrapper But I See And Feel What Is Deep And Hidden Inside Their Wrapper ....And This Is And Just Comes Naturally And With Ease In All Things I See And Do In Life ....Like Say Just Simply Walking My Bubaz Dog ....I Just Do Not Walk Him I Connect Feel Sense See All Things ...I Hear Every Bird Singing From Type Each Is Naturally Singled Out ..Like Say Finely Tuned To Each One ..I Natural Scent The Air And Seperate Each Scent From Fresh Grass To Rotting Leafs To Foods Cooking In Houses As I Walk To The Foxes Of The Last Night And Sweet Various Flowers Blowing Upon The Beautiful Winds To Rain To Sun Everything Has A Seperate Scent Blowing Swirling Through My Mind And Senses Just As My Hearing Is Heightened To Seperate Each Sound From The Crunching Of Leaf To The Drip Drip Of Trees To Far Off Cars Buses Dogs ..Cats ..Etc Etc As Most People Hear As Just One Single Humm Of Sound And All Is One Sound Or They Focus On One Sound Like Rain ..But If You Focus And Look And Open Your Mind You Will Hear The Other Sounds Within The Rain ......To Most This Little Bit Of What Is Naturally Done And Easy For Me To Be Like Just Like Breathing Is Natural To All Others .....Even Though I Think People Must Think It Sounds Exhauating hahaha ....It Truly Is Not ..It Is Natural And Beautiful To Walk Life In Say Full Blown Colour ...Seeing Feeling Sensing All The Beautiful Symbols And Signs Of Life And Great Spirit Because I Was Raised To Use ..Finely Tune ...All Our Senses As Many Are Forgotten As Said ....Aa Most Just Use
    Sight..Hearing..Touch..Taste..Smell...Et c ....But Once You Finely Tune Those Soooo Many Others Are Say Unlocked And You Truly Then Walk In Peace With Spirit And Become Spirit ...And One With Beautiful Nature ....So whitepoopy that is why i find it muddling to put some things into words as words are not my main language as said ..beautiful symbols and signs and sensing and feeling etc are really my main language ....and sometime there are NO WORDS That Say What A Symbol And Sign Is ...It Just Is What It Is Without Words As It Is A Sense/ a inner spiritual Feeling etc ..
    Rather Than Mans World Words ........if that kinda make sense too hehehe
    )
    And In Answer To Your Asking Words ...
    I Was Awakened Deep..Deep Within The Beautiful Co Wicklow Mountains .And Her Lands ....We Were Hidden Away From The People Of The Lower Lands And Towns As Not Understood Us ..
    Then due to mans world iggnorance and beliefs in stupid man made legends we were say like hunted and so fled our beautiful mountain to the beautiful mountains of Alberta Canada Where We Lived Aling Abd In Peace With Beautiful Native Americans The Cree And Then Later Moved To Lower Lands Of North America In The Desert Land Along With In Peace The Beautiful Navajo Native Americans ..
    So BOTH My Language And Heritage And Cultural Spiritual Beliefs And Teaching Are A Very Colourful Beautiful Spiritual Life .....And Ways ...hehehe And So Why I Get So Muddled With Words hehehe xx

The only person you can be is you regardless of what 'society' thinks, also most people just don't get this, you are not here to be liked or to be accepted, the only person you have to measure up to is 'you'

The only person that stops you from living your best life is 'you', if you are doing a uni course that isn't right for you change it or leave and figure out what it is 'you' want to do, you don't get brownie points for sticking something out that you hate.

Life is very simple if you allow it to be, first work out what you want to give to this world what comes from the heart, you could be an artist, a poet or writer, or a carpenter or healer like me, find the passion inside of you then let the universe guide you to where you need to be.

Only when you find out who you really are and you work from your heart, you will realise there is no need to struggle because you have worked it out and those feeling of being overwhelmed don't exist, because you are connected to a world that supports you

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Wow, I've just been reading through all these new comments and I have to say I'm really quite moved by a lot of what has been said. I'm going to take a moment to think about things before getting back as there's a lot to digest. Thank you all for continuing to post
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ghotay

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Ghotay
    Wow I feel like you just described my whole university experience. Choosing a subject because everyone around me thought it was a good idea. But I'm still stuck here

I think this is really powerful. Actually working out what you think and feel and teasing out which parts are authentic to you, and what is stuff thrown in there by society and other people that you've carried on doing unthinkingly. Living mindfully and deliberately is something we should all aspire to
    Hi Ghotay, great to her from someone that can so closely relate to my uni experience – I’m sure there are many other students in the same situation.

This notion of “teasing out which parts are authentic to you” is very exciting but also very difficult when so much else muddles everything. I’ve now decided the easiest way to do this is to strip everything right back to my core beliefs and write down what I want to believe most fundamentally about myself and the world. Once I’ve got these beliefs in place, I’d like to generate new meanings in life and, in turn, new values and behaviours that reflect me and no one else. I’m hoping when I fully view myself and the world through this particular filter not only will I begin to feel the level of self-acceptance and expression I desire but I’ll also feel connected and whole with my environment.

Here’s to trying anyways. Truly, best of wishes with everything and, if things get on top of you whilst at uni, always feel free to say hello

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Tk91 and Danann, thank you for your kind replies. Oh, and by the way Danann, I’m often creatively frustrated by the limitations of language in expressing certain thoughts and feelings that only experience can really do, so you have my utmost sympathies

Tk91, I definitely can see you easily relate to my experience and, yes, that ‘beauty and awe of the moment’ you describe does move me a lot and feels very special, like it's opening my eyes to something new, something better.

Danann, I also agree with you though that I am missing something and the sense of ‘peace’ you described struck a chord with me. See, my mind, whilst very excitable has also been horribly overcluttered with not just endless creative possibilities and impulses but also the fear of consequences (largely emanating from thinking about what others would say/think). Indeed, initially, the fear factor always won out and guided me but as I’ve matured its influence has lessened enough to allow me act in a contrary fashion. That said, I can still feel the worry there trying to ‘correct’ my behaviour and, ultimately, this leaves my body stressed. On the occasions where practices, such as meditations, allow me to slow down and, in a way, escape all this internal turmoil, I do feel a great sense of beauty and relief in the simplicity/peace of the experience.

So, yes, in a way, simplicity/peace is what I’m missing. Indeed, I am currently trying to strip myself back to get rid of all this internal rubbish and understand what’s inherently me. But, that said, when you’ve gone a long time shaping yourself in the images of others, it’s very hard to actually understand what’s you after all. The more I step away from my past self the more my previous interests/passions dissolve leaving me in somewhat of an exciting but scary place where nothing I knew feels right anymore. Moreover, whilst enjoying good company, I feel increasingly distant from people I know in terms of our views on life; hence, one of the reasons I’m talking to people like you on this forum. Indeed, I’m just hoping by talking to like-minded people that I’ll tether myself in place long enough to re-evaluate things and find new direction.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male

Matt, its lovely to connect with people going in the right direction. I am trying to be a better human every day. I meditate, I try and fall asleep consciously, in every endeavour I try to be nice. And sometimes I wonder, for what? And then I connect with people like you, and I think, this is why!

We are all going through internal struggles, and it seems others cant or wont comprehend, but this is why we, as small groups of hope, will perceiver, because we are the human mind and heart, beating on in the face of adversity.

And its nice to connect. I've had some wine, this may not make sense, but it felt real important to say x
    Thank you whitepoppy for getting back to me again
    I’m moved by all these heartfelt responses from people I’ve only just started talking to but already kind of feel a strong connection to in terms of our outlook on life.

As I said in my reply to Tk91 and Danann, even though I feel a bit lost at the moment in understanding myself, sharing this with all of you makes me hopeful that I can continue to grow and move forwards without seeking the easy refuge of my old mindset and behaviours.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    The only person you can be is you regardless of what 'society' thinks, also most people just don't get this, you are not here to be liked or to be accepted, the only person you have to measure up to is 'you'

The only person that stops you from living your best life is 'you', if you are doing a uni course that isn't right for you change it or leave and figure out what it is 'you' want to do, you don't get brownie points for sticking something out that you hate.

Life is very simple if you allow it to be, first work out what you want to give to this world what comes from the heart, you could be an artist, a poet or writer, or a carpenter or healer like me, find the passion inside of you then let the universe guide you to where you need to be.

Only when you find out who you really are and you work from your heart, you will realise there is no need to struggle because you have worked it out and those feeling of being overwhelmed don't exist, because you are connected to a world that supports you
    Society would do well to embrace these words and I'm certainly trying to now, but it's hard for many to act out life purely as they will without concern for how others will react. As I said in my reply to Ghotay, I'm currently trying to re-evaluate my core beliefs about myself and the world in order to find new meaning and new purpose. Indeed, discussions with people on this thread have been a reminder of why I'm doing what I am and also the sort of people I want to be around moving forwards.

Thank you dollybassett for sharing
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by dollybassett

Great words ..you are so right :-)

"The unexamined life is not worth living"