Thread: Free books/exchange libraries in public spaces

Free books/exchange libraries in public spaces

Anyone seen any of those free book services/exchange libraries in public places? People leave books they've read and no longer want in places like phone boxes or bus stops, and then other people can come along and take something to read. The idea is that you replace whatever you've taken with another book so that there's always something new there for people to read. I love the idea of this, and I'd like to think that it would work in our local communities! Anyone seen any of these in operation?

There are a few stories about this in the Daily Mail. Here's one:
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    What a great idea, and it might be a good way for me to 'lose' some of the too many books I have.

Sounds a great idea, i'm not in to having possessions but i do find it hard to let go of books.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    We have one in a decomisioned phone box in our village, it seems popular
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Me too, Nicklincs. I have a lot more books than I can even store in my wee cottage. I inherited my mum's library and there are so many books stacked wide and deep that I cannot actually even catalogue them. If anyone reads in German, a lot of novels here free to a good home.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

I don't think that would work where I stay. Too many disrespectful people around. I was a member of a book swap group online many years ago, can't remember the name. The only problem was you had to pay postage.

Posted via the UKHIPPY Tapatalk Mobile App
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.

Yeah i`ve seen red phone boxes filled with books in sleepy villages and country places but can`t imagine it working in bigger towns. All that paper is just asking to be set alight

Seen quite a few in marinas/boat yards,always a good turnover of books..uj had quite a few he d done with tho,put them in a bag with a "freebooks,help yourself"sign,left them on the site we re on...no takers xx

More bookish adventures are at:-

Where I have seen some of my books travel around the world (and back)

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer