THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This forum needs donations to survive!

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by BigNich
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Donated  Hippies are an endangered species ✌
    You did, they are, and thank you

Sex
    Female
    A few of us donated yesterday, did we hit the spot and make you dribble down your leg?

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    A few of us donated yesterday, did we hit the spot and make you dribble down your leg?
    I noticed and let out a small sigh of gratitude
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Shroom

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Sorry I forgot up to now!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Paul
    Yay! Happy new year

Not Quite a Noobie SparkleDevil's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Just donated, hope it helps and we can keeps this part of the web alive
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Paul, Shroom

Sex
    Male
    welcome and well done you , we all needs to donate occasionally
    The following users think this post is groovy: SparkleDevil

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Paul
    did you raise a leg and buttock to let that small sigh escape ?

I am glad a few peeps took it to heart , thought it would be nice to fill that donation bar in the season of goodwill , then realised its really set at 20k per month ....... and that sigh was more tangible than most
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, SparkleDevil

Annoyingly Positive Editor DaisyDreamer's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Shroom
    welcome and well done you , we all needs to donate occasionally
    I try to donate once a year
    (and I think I get my moneys worth
    )
    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Voltaire
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Lightbringer, SparkleDevil

Have you thought about merchandise, t-shirts or something like that? There are websites that take a good percentage but do all the lifting and you get a cut, without having to invest something (well, time).

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Harbinger
    Have you thought about merchandise, t-shirts or something like that? There are websites that take a good percentage but do all the lifting and you get a cut, without having to invest something (well, time).
    Yeh every bag of fake drugs has a logo on it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, Paul

Sex
    Male
    I would be happy to help out with a few quid but I would need a way to donate anonymously. As I understand it, Paypal provides you with my details?
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
    I would be happy to help out with a few quid but I would need a way to donate anonymously. As I understand it, Paypal provides you with my details?
    The paypal address and whatever name is associated with the account, yes. No home address or date of birth.

Sex
    Male
    That's the problem Paul, my family name is not Smith, it's one of only 2 in Europe and, in any case, I would prefer to remain anonymous even if my name were Smith!

Maybe I can get someone called Smith to donate on my behalf.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
    That's the problem Paul, my family name is not Smith, it's one of only 2 in Europe and, in any case, I would prefer to remain anonymous even if my name were Smith!
    Unfortunately, as has been explained dozens of times (you weren't to know so it's cool), there's no other way.

Firstly, paypal is the only system that full integrates with the site, where I can track everything and keep it separate from my personal banking and "real life" stuff - any alternative and I'd have to mix it in with my business, thus removing the "hobby" aspect and creating legal trickiness around the data protection act. (Don't worry, the data is safe)

Secondly, when a newcomer joins this site they don't get full access until they've made 40 posts, but they can side-step this by donating, which leaves a paper-trail back to the real them -- it's a security thing that's worked great for a couple of years.

Thirdly, even if we could afford the fees for a gateway like Worldpay, there would still be an element of traceability, so hardly any online transaction is completely anonymous anyway.

I don't pass on any data to anyone - of course I would reserve the right for cases of serious abuse etc. but haven't needed to yet.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Red Dragon my PayPal is my company name. Yes, if need be (in the case of illegal activity) it can be traced to me, but in the case of donations to this website you needn't give your name in association to a donation. You could open a new PayPal for donations if it bothers you.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Red Dragon my PayPal is my company name. Yes, if need be (in the case of illegal activity) it can be traced to me, but in the case of donations to this website you needn't give your name in association to a donation. You could open a new PayPal for donations if it bothers you.
    Now that >is< an interesting idea - thank you. Shall now scratch my head a little/lot and see if it would work for me.

- Calvin+Hobbes

A true long term solution is a crypto currency route BUT someone still has to receive the funds - suppliers would need to be crypto currency friendly too if it were to be efficient.

I know that paying remote workers in bitcoin was the only way to ensure the payments were not ravaged by multiple exchange rates and "banking fees". In some countries everyone helped themselves to a cut until the incomimg payments were negligible. Think not of third world corruption it was the big banks - supposedly indemnifying themelves from the risks associated with dealing with the payments.

Is the long term "debt" still 600?
    Are you running the vBulletin 4.2.1 version shown in the <meta name="generator" tag?
    Have the vBulletin connect or cloud options been evaluated?

vBulletin 5 Connect - Includes free forum support for life of vBulletin 5 Connect and one month of ticket support (includes ability to download vB4, which we will no longer sell separately).
    US $249.00

US $209.00
    *Requires log in

vBulletin 5 Connect + Mobile Suite Bundle - Include native iOS and Android mobile apps for your site and get the bundled discount! Providing mobile apps will ensure the best experience for your mobile users, so they'll come back and engage more regularly.
    US $399.00 -

US $359.00 -
    *Requires log in

vBulletin Cloud
    Let vBulletin handle the hosting of your site, along with all the upgrades and server maintenance. Your site will have all the key vBulletin functionality with much less effort and more cost efficiency.
    starting US $19.95 -

starting US $179.95 -

Sex
    Male
    Well , I just noticed its that time of the month again and the bar is only 3/4 full
    , so I just just chucked a handful of loose change in the hat , lets see what happens ................

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    put in tuppence

Sex
    Male
    Theirs a Lifeboat collection box on the reception counter at the local Community Center. I'll see if I can grab it later. The WI are still in the kitchen washing up cups. So they will take the blame.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, likahamadoolihan

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Theirs a Lifeboat collection box on the reception counter at the local Community Center. I'll see if I can grab it later. The WI are still in the kitchen washing up cups. So they will take the blame.
    Should be easy(piece of cake maybe?) , they got previous from when I framed em for thieving the air ambulance monies
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Sex
    Male
    Some of the old dears do it for the kick or Bingo fix.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alt-reality
    Is the long term "debt" still 600?
    No, I need to do some maths, but I think it'll be clear within the next month or two. I want to (and will) add a couple of new features but am holding back until I'm a little more secure

Originally Posted by alt-reality
    Are you running the vBulletin 4.2.1 version shown in the <meta name="generator" tag?
    Have the vBulletin connect or cloud options been evaluated?
    Yes, and VB 5 isn't very good in terms of addons and third party support - because of this I made the decision to skip a version. The problem with their cloud hosting options is that we're restricted in terms of what we can do with the software (i.e. nothing). I've installed VB5 licences on different servers through my freelance work and always ended up reverting to VB4 because it simply doesn't cut the mustard.

Seriously, I do appreciate the input and the enthusiasm of new people, but I am on top of how this site runs, what benefits it and what doesn't (12 years here, but running forums since 2003)