Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This forum needs donations to survive!

That is a great answer - notice I said "evaluated", which you clearly have.
    I noticed a cloud version of something which also severely limited what could be done
    on the grounds of an easy life / "security" maintainability.

Using the latest version of anything is a risk - think Windows 8! How long did
    it take to rollout Windows 10.

Glad the virtual overdraft has been reduced, as for version stick with the stable known version until there is
    overwhelming need to change. It is definitely a benefit to be playing and taking the risks on other projects,
    keeps it simple here!

Tuning In
    I'll be donating every 4 weeks from the 8th of this month
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Paul

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cornwall87
    I'll be donating every 4 weeks from the 8th of this month
    Wow good on you, if one hundred people did that, The forum would be covered and Paul could pay his own rent.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, likahamadoolihan

Bazinga

Junior spoonwhittler VirtualVirgo70's Avatar
    Donated today. x
    Seeking freedom, trapped by reality.

Tuning In
    I love this place and I wouldn't want to lose it even if I'm sporadic here

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Someone made a donation earlier, but because they weren't logged in, and the IP / email address isn't in the system, I can't add it to the total.

Thank you whoever you are, if you have less than 40 posts give me a shout (with your email to verify) and I'll change your access manually.

It's ok, it's our baby playing with my mobile phone. Little bugger ordered a ride on mower off of eBay yesterday. Throw it in the pot. Our Country needs techi babies.

- - - Updated - - -

Na just checked it's only sky she's signed us up to.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cornwall87

just noticed how sad the donation bar looks this far in to the month , had a look around and found a few sheckels under my gas bottle so donated em , but it aint moved much ... , maybe a few more of the 22 members online could push it a bit ?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

Just donated.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    checked the back of me chair and sent the result

Thank you guys
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Not Quite a Noobie
    Coming out of lurk mode! Gonna donate as cannot handle that sad, sad bar on 1st of the month. Am def under 40 posts despite the fact I signed up in 2008 so ought to slap my own wrist really, but um...I've been busy?!! So glad you are still here.

ETA: Humph, bar hasn't moved. Is it like a watched kettle? Talking of which.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Originally Posted by exile1234
    Coming out of lurk mode! Gonna donate as cannot handle that sad, sad bar on 1st of the month. Am def under 40 posts despite the fact I signed up in 2008 so ought to slap my own wrist really, but um...I've been busy?!! So glad you are still here.

ETA: Humph, bar hasn't moved. Is it like a watched kettle? Talking of which.....
    I've sat hours, no days, trying to move that bar by mind power. Smoking joint after joint to hopefully tune myself right in. I thought I had cracked it once when it moved a bit. Then I looked on this thread and several hippies said they had paid in. Bugger me, I made my throat sore and lost a few days.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by exile1234
    I need to process donations manually, which is why it sometimes takes a while. Normally I'm on it within a couple of hours, but I got up late today with the mother of all headaches.
    Anyone who gets up before sunrise, well you lot are just insane
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Colin M, julianthegypsy, marshlander, Sootyfoot

If someone has an gmail address starting in "t" and ending in "3", then please drop me a message as I don't know who you are to confirm your donation. If you'd rather be anonymous then thank you anyway.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I've sat hours, no days, trying to move that bar by mind power. Smoking joint after joint to hopefully tune myself right in. I thought I had cracked it once when it moved a bit. Then I looked on this thread and several hippies said they had paid in. Bugger me, I made my throat sore and lost a few days.
    Lmfao!

Its that time of the month again , donation bar is looking a little sad, I am gonna give it a kick , see if gets motivated
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul, Sootyfoot

How much exactly is a bar worth? I think only Paul can answer this one? If someone dropped 500 in would it hit the end? Would it shoot off onto the following months bar? Or would it be somewhere near where it was before the donation?

I deliberately altered the bar to not reveal anything, in order to discourage complacency - when it was set to a fixed and visible 100 it hardly ever reached more than 50 (often less), not even scraping us through and getting the site into debt.

Now the bar is no longer based on any fixed amount - it changes each month depending on need and as such the donations have improved and I've stopped worrying so much.

I was tempted to do away with the bar altogether, but it seems to act as a motivator, so I'm keeping it for now.

If someone dropped 500 into the pot (yet to happen) I'd make Goddam sure everyone knew about it and probably upgrade the site
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Then why not have a open donation list. Put names next to monthly donations. If 7 is minimum donation it should be easy to manage and we can then openly thank those who show generosity. I preferred it when the minimum limit was not set so high. A few quid was always easy to throw in the bucket. 7 is the difference between this payday and the next for a lot of us. Now we know the bar serves no purpose but to fool us into thinking we are all tight hits. It will have a adverse effect. May as well, get rid of it. Transparency not deception.

It's been covered before, and is within the whole "ethos" of this site

If donations stop the consensus would be that this forum is no longer required - so while things like the progress bar seem to motivate some people (it does state that its arbitrary), it's also within the value system of this site not to grant any special privilege or show any favouritism to anyone who does donate. Currently, the Internet seems to want this website, so for now I'll do whatever I can to encourage it.

For almost 11 years this site survived on a knife edge and regularly ate into my own income - and at the moment, while it's not causing me undue stress, I'm more inclined to leave it be; going by personal memory it's just not worth the risk to chop things around while the system is working. I *think* the debt is about 100 or so away from being clear and the site is paid up to the end of last month - when it's closer to being clear I'll rethink about the way forward.

It's not about ego or income or lack of -- some people have never donated, and they're just as welcome here as people who donate regularly -- it was agreed years ago that there should be nothing that provokes any shame or pride as a result of ability or lack of ability to give.

As a website that tries to be inclusive, we're very aware that money is a big issue for some people and shaming those who have none isn't really fair - so while we push for donations out of necessity, it's also important not to make a fuss about the ones who can't or don't.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cornwall87

I don't think there's a member that uses this site would waste their energy or love shaming any site user over how much or if and when they donate or if ever. In actual fact it would be near on darn impossible to trawl through a random donations list to identify any user who hadn't bothered to donate often, enough or ever, especially if a person could request to remain anonymous. It would mearly show those very generous few who did/do & be more informative to those who worry about funding shortages because a bar really doesn't jump accross very fast or far, if ever, who then do dig into their pockets again out of worry or fear that the site could go away due to lack of funding. After all that's the purpose of this thread popping up from time to time isn't it?
    The suggestion of a list of donators was more for transparency for those who may just worry it's not keeping up and saying good on you fella, sister. Your doing good for the sake of doing good and we applaud it. Long live you and your kind. We don't really know how many 7 donations is needed per week/month/ year to keep the site a float. If it's four donations or ten a week or more. Obviously the more donations the better the chances of upgrades after depts cleared. But since its nowt to do with us how you chose to run or fund the site. I will say nowt na more on the subject.

I love the ebay link. I've managed to train myself to (almost all the time) only buy stuff via the link and I hope it makes a small difference.

Because I access ebay mostly on the phone via the app, I save the bits in the basket and when I've finished the shopping I can go to the browser, go to UKH and then via the link back to ebay and pay. Can't cope with working with ebay on a phone browser.

xx

Just realised - nearly 10 years of using this site.
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well" Mother Julian of Norwich