THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: This forum needs donations to survive!

Maybe we could have a one off or annual fund raising thing to try to get a bigger sum in one go. Like offer goods or services in exchange for a donation to the site....like an auction? Dunno just thinking aloud....but it might take the pressure off a bit financially.

I've got some nice dresses/scarves/woolly hats that I would put up for auction and am sure lots of people would have crafty/arty things they would sell..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT

Could we not do something at dovedale? Or a quiz 1 a go the winner wins something :/ at dovedale someone do a basic walking map with clues to look for, 2 a map

A raffle of some sort

Cake stall :/

OK. So now the banner has gone I don't know how to donate. I don't visit here very often these days as I don't have access to the internet but if I do and I ask a question and I get help then I like to bung some money in the pot so how do I now do it?

And Paul, you're going to have to take up advertising. All this is only putting off the inevitable. I understand your reluctance but you need real help if you want to keep it going. I'd be reluctant too but times change, people change and what you resist persists. Said with love. J

ETA - I found a link in the email you sent. Thanks.
    Roughing it smoothly...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT

Paul,

I've had a further thought on this. I stated in my post that I didn't come here very often because I don't have access to internet so much. This is true, especially when I'm on the road, but when I do have internet - like now, when Im staying with a friend for a couple of days, I feel kind of bad looking in knowing you're struggling so much and knowing there's not much more I can do to help. I know someone said you were nagging and I agree that you're not nagging and that you've rarely asked for help, but that banner running every time I logged in made me feel hellish guilty and that too has stopped me posting. I even thought of deleting my bookmark and not visiting here again ever as I felt kind of like I was part of the problem and not the solution. I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

Anyway - I'm only saying this to give you an insight into why someone who used to post a lot now doesn't post so much and to repeat that I think advertising is the only sustainable way forward.
    Roughing it smoothly...

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    The banner is still there, I just temporarily changed its look for a while, but I do hear you - the problem is, whatever I do will create an objection somewhere, and as such I'm trying to think of the best way to create as few objections as possible. Advertising creates objections, paypal creates objections, banners create objections and mail-outs create objections -- I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

However, this site can thrive; we just had a year of everything being paid for, which was then followed by three months of struggling again - and as such the donation system can work. I just need to find the way to nudge people without alienating anyone who has their own important issues to contend with.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, marshlander

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MrsP
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Paul,

I've had a further thought on this. I stated in my post that I didn't come here very often because I don't have access to internet so much. This is true, especially when I'm on the road, but when I do have internet - like now, when Im staying with a friend for a couple of days, I feel kind of bad looking in knowing you're struggling so much and knowing there's not much more I can do to help. I know someone said you were nagging and I agree that you're not nagging and that you've rarely asked for help, but that banner running every time I logged in made me feel hellish guilty and that too has stopped me posting. I even thought of deleting my bookmark and not visiting here again ever as I felt kind of like I was part of the problem and not the solution. I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

Anyway - I'm only saying this to give you an insight into why someone who used to post a lot now doesn't post so much and to repeat that I think advertising is the only sustainable way forward.
    Just to.be clear i didnt accuse Paul.of nagging directly,I meant that the Nag screen.panels youre referring to that appear.everywhere have that effect....I feel the same way about them and although Paul did say just ignore them they do tend to make you feel bad about being unable to help and DO have the effect of discouraging participation..though to be fair there have been.other issues here im not going into that have added to my desire not to spend much time here.

I still think that chucking money in the beer kitty now and then -though it may work- is not the best financial model for a long term sustainable site but not my decision to make,ive just tried to offer some solutions.....I suppose even discussion on the subject keeps the subject current and perhaps helps with cashflow.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-07--2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

A smaller donation choice would work for me. I think the reasoning behind the 7 pound start has been explained, but well, smaller would be better.

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    A smaller donation choice would work for me. I think the reasoning behind the 7 pound start has been explained, but well, smaller would be better.
    I'm going to do this now to see how it goes.

So, the minimum donation is 5 for a while, but I may increase it again depending on the results.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Someone just made a donation without being logged in - and their email doesn't match any account on here.

If it's you, and you don't have the +40 posts full access, then please let me know and I'll fix it

Turning On
    What about having a section where you can watch video advertising. You know the sort that you see on youtube or in free mobile phone games. I don't know how much traffic you get through the website per year or month but lets take your known figures there is 18k members if each one watched 1 video per year at the minimum rate of $0.03 then a revenue generated would be $540. I'm sure there is plenty of members that probably wouldn't mind taking 30 seconds out of their day to watch 1 video through to the end. You wouldn't have to watch it, just put it down and walk away.
    When you log on to the website its mandatory (unable to skip) 1 video every time you come to the home page .... or something down those lines.
    If people feel how mrsP does then this could be a viable way forward.

I would like to know if the website is still financially ok or if it is back in arrears? I do really want to help im just wondering what the best way to do it is.

I can't remember off hand but I think we get between 3 and 4 million hits a month, hence our need for a powerful server.

I'm away from a computer for a couple of days and don't know the full stats offhand - and yes there is still a backlog, although nowhere near as much as a year ago.

I'll respond about this and the video idea as soon as I'm back.

-- Posted from the
    --