THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Toddler tantrums

Free-spirited mammy nataliejay26's Avatar

Toddler tantrums

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted anything in here. Anyway my little girl is 2 and 1/2 now, she's happy, loving and confident however her tantrums have become something else over the past few months, I don't believe in smacking or time out. What else can I do to try and calm her down when she's gets so wound up that she turns red and practically growls at me ? Lol any advice would be amazing. Thank you in advance. Xx

Ignore her completely. It's quite hard to do as you get sucked in to the emotions but just titally blank her. Walk away if it's safe to do so. Kds have no fun 'performing ng' if they haven't got an audience........
    The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets

I'm just getting a taste of these (tantrums) ok she is only 17 month old. But I'm finding it hard to avoid giving in. It's usually because she wants to hold, touch things & saying no to her is not what she wants to hear. I will just stand my ground and not over react. Seconds pass (seems longer) and she soon moves on to her next thought process. I can understand the frustration with her communication difficulties and any separation anxieties. Your daughter is looking to you for answers, sometimes you don't have them. I would and do play it exactly like groove says. Just like clearing the screen on a etch a sketch toy. Let your frustration fall down your face from fringe to chin. Your daughter will hopefully learn that it's not the best way to get mums attention.
    My daughter screams, goes red in the face, closing her eyes she arches her back before throwing herself backwards all rigid. She has been known to bang her forehead against things to, but I think she realises this hurts her, so it's not that often. I'm dreading her doing it in a supermarket or restaurant. But hey oh, kids will be kids and we have to navigate with them. Good luck, hang in there, your doing a wonderful job and like you say, she is a happy and confident child, so you can be proud of yourself and your parenting.

Free-spirited mammy nataliejay26's Avatar
    Thank you for your replies. I will try to ignore her when she kicks off! To be honest when she was 18 months we went through the temper tantrums but once she could speak it for better for a while, she started nursery for a few hours at the beginning of the year and I'm just wondering if she could have picked up some of this behaviour from other children? Normally she's quite chilled and happy but there part few months have been difficult. X

Ohbyes absolutely to nursery, they learn all sorts of things!
    Best way is not to change your approach, she will push the boundaries but you need her to know that the boundaries have not moved.

Yep, just carry on as per normal and totally ignore...and remember NO eye contact even!