THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: england bound

england bound

i was last in england in 2000 i think it was. since then ive wanted to come back but always found an excuse not too. well i impulsively bought a plane ticket for september and im staying two months. i was thinking of signing up for wwoof but havent as of yet. i plan to mostly head to the southwest but really i have no plan. i have one contact that i havent heard back from and another place i was really wanting to visit near bristol but i think i mucked up that one with a lame email to them. anyway, what should i do? whats to see? i want to stand in ancient places. i dont party too much but will most likely imbibe a drink or two, and proceed to make all sorts of foolishness of myself! im an impulsive traveler and dont do well making plans. i will mostly try and stealth camp and do this camp in my garden site i found. im traveling low budget. maybe a few night in dartmoor nat. park. somerset bristol. anyone have any advice for an american coming to your country??

cheers!

Hi Crow_Dog,

As an English person living in LA I hope I can offer you some good words of wisdom.
    Firstly, temperatures will be in the 40s and 50s and pretty wet, so dress accordingly and get a very good tent and camping gear.
    People will be either friendly or hostile. There are many very open minded, lovely, brilliant people in the UK but there also a lot of racists and that includes racism against Americans. If you experience this, head to the city. Cities are safer for foreigners.
    Some of the oldest ancient sites in Europe are in the Southwest of England, but there are amazing Ancient and Antique places all over. For example, Lancaster Castle, Calanais stone circle, York Minster, Skara Brae.
    Do the wwoff thing, it will help you to meet people. If you are coming for two months that will be really helpful.

well, things aren't shaping up. i have my ticket booked and passport in hand but everyone i have emailed has failed to return a reply. and too boot someone broke into my cabin yesterday and stole my pack and all my funds. so looks as though i wont be traveling, probably just as well with the way things are going. cheers for the reply.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by stuoolong
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hi Crow_Dog,

As an English person living in LA I hope I can offer you some good words of wisdom.
    Firstly, temperatures will be in the 40s and 50s and pretty wet, so dress accordingly and get a very good tent and camping gear.
    People will be either friendly or hostile. There are many very open minded, lovely, brilliant people in the UK but there also a lot of racists and that includes racism against Americans. If you experience this, head to the city. Cities are safer for foreigners.
    Some of the oldest ancient sites in Europe are in the Southwest of England, but there are amazing Ancient and Antique places all over. For example, Lancaster Castle, Calanais stone circle, York Minster, Skara Brae.
    Do the wwoff thing, it will help you to meet people. If you are coming for two months that will be really helpful.
    Haha!
    You'll be getting splinters on that fence of yours

what about a fence??

Crow, get on plane, or regret it for a long time.

England is nice, the people are mainly nice, and you will have a good time meeting people and making friends.

Is easy to worry, but if you worry about styuff to a big extent you will end up never going anywhere or doing anything.

Go for it!
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.

thanks for the advice. getting on a plane for two months with no funds and nothing to come back to scares the pants off me!!!

Originally Posted by Crow_Dog
    thanks for the advice. getting on a plane for two months with no funds and nothing to come back to scares the pants off me!!!
    Take the loan from friends that you mentioned. Keep it a small one & make sure to pay them back.
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. Your not great with sayings so
    Google it.
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face

Just use your head. Be smart.

Welcome to England

I meant Britain
    obviously

i know that one!!

my feelings on taking a loan from friends is that it changes things. my plan was to do england for 2 months then head to a place ive been volunteering for the winter and spring and then move onto somewhere new. i was finally getting out of my life here and with a loan im still tied and still commited and i cant honestly say that i'll have paying work before june. also it feels like there would be more expectation to the trip. and all of this would be still a fresh memory the whole while. ive been struggling with mental health and other things increasingly so and don't know if im even sane enough to pull it all off.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Sorry to hear your pack was stolen. That is really bad luck. Regarding a loan from friends, I would tend to agree with you. Owing money changes the relationship, however much both parties start off meaning well. I used to WWOOF in the early 80s and I found it a great way to meet people and find some way of seeing places as well as being fed and housed. Setting up some WWOOF gigs would shape your trip in a safe way.

sooo....i got a call from another friend today offering financial assistance to get myself abroad. i think im going to take them up on it whatever that means in the end. which means i have less than two weeks til my plane departs and as of now i have no gear to speak of and nothing resembling a plan, both for travel and when i return(if i return???). i have my rent paid til next june(wonderful work trade situation) but i have no car and no winter employment. aside from that i am feeling aprehensive about making that journey with no contacts or no plans or anything. i may still try wwoof but need someone with a card to set my account up. baring that, what should i do???? i thought id head to west country, walk a bit on the trails, spend some time in dartmoor national park, see the ancient sites. but theres places id like to see in the north, and northeast. i suppose bus is the best bet for getting around? rail is too expensive. any gatherings or festivals worth looking into??(i tend towards antisocial and non-party type, should be a grand experiment!) i am a bit dismayed on not hearing back from somone i know over there and not recieving a reply from a site i wanted to visit. i'll mostly be sleeping out of doors in a tent, wild camping and something called camp in my garden and maybe a hostel or two. i'll have sturdy boots, a pair or two of pants,shirts and a solid rain jacket. what else should i expect weather wise?? anything too look out for, avoid, head towards???? im crazy with anticipation and trepidation. ive got a nice gig working on a farm but that ends in november anyhow. life feels so up in the air but this may be my last chance to get over there so i think i should do it. what about pub life? im one who is best avoiding drink but i tend towards being pissed if i do go in. id like a gallon of proper cider somewhere in the journey. any help,advice,suggestions???? aahhhhh

one thing i am really looking forward too is Killing Joke at the Brixton Academy November 4th.!!

The best cider is in Somerset.

Heavenly Creature
    Did you get the wwoof thing sorted? You can get a prepay Mastercard if that's what it takes to set up an account. The States had them years before us.

Crow
    how you doing?

woah, i thought i replied to this.....guess it was sent to ether. thanks for checking in!

i landed in London last Thursday, jet lagged and under slept proceeded to get too pissed too quickly, lost(or spent) too many funds and acted a fool. more or less the same the next day. lost my spot in the hostel so wandered London hungover and delirious from sleep. got a coach to Bristol,landing in Bristol at 9pm. hostels were full(or so i was led to believe....) so wandering around in a daze. foolishly threw down on a motel room(still can't live it down...) been in Bristol for four days, wandering around and not talking to anyone. trying to moderate my drink. loving all the street art but mostly keeping to myself.(i can be quiet and awkward and it's hard to meet people). was into bands from here growing up but i am definitely out of place and realizing many things. so far off to a less than happy start. i finally got a hostel and hostel life sucks. snoring and drunks and vomiting and all that. am so ready to leave!!! tomorrow i walk to bath and from there walk to Glastonbury and then on the Devon and Dartmoor national park. where in somerset or Devon is best place to get a proper pint of scrumpy?? I've been drinking from the off-license except for a pint at the hatchet inn. anyone from the southwest want to meet up for a drink or cuppa or a wander??? i never set up the wwooff. i tried again with a friends card but was declined so gave up on it. so for me it's just walking and hiking and hitching rides. maybe down to tintagel, or up to breacon beacons and then lake district and to york. want to see stonehenge(of course..) before i go. cheers!!!

Heavenly Creature
    Whoa that's a lot of drinking!
    Why do you need a credit/debit card to create a wwoof account?

i don't know. im a luddite at heart. i dont understand these things???? having email is bad enough!!!!

travelling the uk without a mobile, facebook, or any of the other trappings. bring on the old world!!