THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Nora the LDV; build thread...

Cut a strip a couple of inches wide of thin plastic/ally, glue to the bottom of the top half of skylight with some stuck out the bottom. When the two halves are mated this should cover the gap, silicone round joint for added sealage??

I've half sorted the skylight... Added some strips of Celotex around the edges of the hole, so the inside part doesn't pull up as far, which has fixed the issue with it flexing the ceiling... I'm going to find some suitable plastic, as Rick suggested to bridge the (now larger) gap between top and bottom pats...

I've been getting on with other things too... the bloody oak trim on the panel edges is now finished!

It just needs the white paint reinstating up to it, but the whole interior will be getting a touch up to tidy up...

I've made the curtains/nets for the other two cupboards:

They need the elastic loops sewing on to keep them shut, a job I can do one evening...

I bought a little hand axe, and decided it should be kept handy near the door... it'll get used quite a lot for much of the year.. so a little work with the jigsaw, and it now lives over the side door...

I had planned to keep the bow saw in that area too, but decided it would hamper access through the door, so it now lives above the stove:

I bought and fitted CO and smoke alarms... it's impossible to follow manufacturers' guidelines on location in such a small volume, so they're highish, and out of the way:

And finally, I've started on my porthole covers... 3 layers of estate agent sign board... little neodymium magnets go in the holes in the middle layer, and stick to the screws holding the potholes together... I'll cover them in purple cloth to match the cushions and curtains...

Talking of cushions, I've just ordered another foam mattress to cut up, and cloth to cover them... That, plus a secondhand towbar, some fire extinguishers, and other bits and bobs hurt my wallet a bit!!

Ouch!
    The following users think this post is groovy: kiwikid, patchypete, Sootyfoot

So far this week, I have mostly been wrestling with veneer! The first side window is nearly done! It's been a slow process, wrapping the veneer into the hole corner by corner, clamping each corner into place while the epoxy sets behind it, before moving on to the next one... Once it was glued all the way round, I could back fill with thickened epoxy, varnish the front with clear epoxy and finally trim and sand the edge... Each epoxy stage takes 8-10 hours to set, so it took all week!, but I think I can be pretty pleased with the result:

Other little jobs have happened too... I can now have a brew,,,

Stack my plates safely... they'll only fall out if I'm hit really hard from behind!

And put out fires! This one's reachable from the bed, there's another by the back door.. Both useful against intruders too!

I've been looking for a nice heavy Maglite style torch to mount up there too.. ideally one that charges off 12V, and clips into its charging base, but there seems to be bugger all out there that suits... Anyone know of something suitable?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, wurzel

A quick google reveals maglite do smaller ones, i haven't looked around the rest of the site but you would imagine if they do a small one, they will also do a bigger one

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/rechargeable.html

Also if maglite are doing them then there must be chinese copies about.

And there is this that i bookmarked some time ago with the intention of getting round to doing mine. Not on a base though, but a lot cheaper

Its still on the to do list though...

http://hackaday.com/2014/02/09/hack-...e-rechargable/
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, realnutter

Thanks for that link Rick.. I want something meaty and heavy, if you know what I mean

That looks like a good approach!

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    Thanks for that link Rick.. I want something meaty and heavy, if you know what I mean
    Would you like me to forward you some of the emails that i keep getting. They seem to promise to deliver what you are looking for
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Not rechargeable, but maglite do some four and five cell battery torches that are er long and er solid......
    I thought about you RN the other day. I saw some new wood veneer on a skip!

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I thought about you RN the other day. I saw some new wood veneer on a skip!
    Haha, thanks VW, but I've had enough of veneer for one lifetime!

Heavenly Creature
    I kind of thought so!

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    Haha, thanks VW, but I've had enough of veneer for one lifetime!
    So the next build will be called " no veneer, in 'ere"?
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, realnutter

So this weekend was mostly spent fitting the towbar....

I'd bought a second hand one from ebay, which was from a flatbed Convoy, so I assumed it would bolt straight on... It didn't!! Using the existing holes on the chassis, put it about 2" too far forwards... the ball interfered with the bumper bar... not only that, but the hole spacing on each chassis rail was wrong....

So after a trip to my favourite tool shop to arm myself with a nice new 12mm drill, 6 new holes magically appeared!!! New bolts all round, and I can now hook up a trailer!!

Having sorted that on Saturday, I spent half of Sunday wiring up the trailer socket.... Not difficult in itself, except for a couple of issues... LDV in their wisdom don't earth the rear lights to the chassis, at least not anywhere close to the back... This meant that the loom had a bunch of thin black earth wires, one for each circuit... I didn't fancy feeding the trailer earth into one of them and overloading it, so earthed the trailer to a new point on the chassis itself.... Then it was a case of crawl under, find the next wire by its colour, stick a sewing pin through it, and wrap the relevant trailer wire round the pin... Then climb out, go to the cab and switch that circuit on and check that the right bulb lit (I had the lighting board sat on the bonnet so I could see it)... then back under, remove the pin, and make the joint properly, before moving on to the next circuit... I must have crawled under the back about 50 times across the weekend!!! I got each circuit right first time, despite LDV's strange colour coding on the wiring diagram... UO for Blue/Orange anyone?

My new towbar step just arrived by courier too, so I'll get that bolted on at lunchtime, and it's another job off the list....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Offgrid hero, wanderingwill

Steptacular!!!

The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, wanderingwill, wurzel

Heavenly Creature
    Those tow steps are fantastic. We have one on our Convoy Hi Loader

You've got a bronze mast step just to the right of your new step, I've got exactly the same on my mast☺️

Quote Originally Posted by TravellerNick View Post
    You've got a bronze mast step just to the right of your new step, I've got exactly the same on my mast☺️
    haha.. it's steel, and worn out.. it won't stay folded... It's coming off tomorrow....

Ok. Surprised it's steel.

Quote Originally Posted by TravellerNick View Post
    Ok. Surprised it's steel.
    You made me go outside and check it with a magnet!!!

Not bronze....

So Nora's nearly finished. to the point that I've slept in her for the last fortnight, and done some cooking too.. This flagged up a minor issue with the kitchen - where to put the kettle when there's a saucepan on each ring of the hob....

So that was easily solved:

In other news, the veneer for the second side window got its final coat of epoxy today:

Mmmmm...shiny!

And the back door got its locking bar... remember the top half has to slide down, before the bottom half will open...

The lovely Yaz is with me again, and busy sewing cushion covers together for the bench seats...

We're going away in her for the Easter weekend - only to my local MAG group's Easter bike show, a mere 8 miles away, but the weather forecast doesn't warrant a trip to the beach!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Rick69, wurzel

You doing the R&S matt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    You doing the R&S matt?
    Nope, won't have a bike soon....

Me neither but if i can swop my weekend ill be going in th van. Be nice to see some old faces...

Tried out the spare bed tonight while we watched a movie... Comfy! IMG_20170420_211412.jpg

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app ---
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, jonathanh1989

Hiya realnutter and yazz.Reading your build has been great.You two are building a fab nest together.I have been watching various pairs of birds recently getting sticks and fluff and stuff to build their nests and you two also are building something very beautifull together.... and Nora! Lots of love and luck to you both.Shouldnt you have some sort of ceremony,break a bottle of something over her tow bar before you sail off into the sunset in her...or splash a bit and neck the rest.
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, Miss_bee, realnutter, yazz