THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nora the LDV; build thread...

Nora the LDV; build thread...

Well, Lots of work has been done, and now I'm pretty certain this van is a viable base for a home.... The biggest question that needed to be answered was, Is the engine ok? After my epic 8 hour, 140 mile trip home, with basically no cooling system, I was a little concerned about it..... but after today, I can say I'm totally happy!

Two issues cropped up... while replacing the water pump, I noticed some corrosion in the waterways of the block... to the point that the water pump gasket surface had almost disappeared in a couple of places.... A mate advised that I get some JB Weld, and build up the areas with that.. so I did:

Once set, I trimmed the epoxy smooth, and fitted the new water pump, with copious gasket goo either side of the gasket....

With new cam belt and tensioner in place, the rebuild went fine, and held water cold....

I struggled to find the correct alternator belt... the internet says it's 1520 long, but that was too long (anyone need one that length?) 1483 fitted the bill, so I was in a position to start the engine...

And start she did..... Settled in to a nice even tickover.... and everything looked good.... until the girlfriend spotted dripping from the left hand side... I scooted underneath and looked up.... the drip was coming from the frontmost exhaust manifold bolt... Bugger I thought... head gasket has blown... but sharp eyed gf spotted a weep from the thermostat housing, and sure enough the thermostat had been fitted without its rubber ring...

Another trip to the autofactors, and all is sorted... she idled for 40 minutes today, with no water leaks, and sounded as sweet as a nut!!

All I have to do is find someone to weld the lacework that is the cab floor, and then the build can commence!!!

Matt
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw, essexcamper, kampaman&Tracy, kiwikid, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, ursus, wanderingwill

Good work, hope there's been no damage from the lack of cooling.

Heavenly Creature
    Remind me, is this a banana DI? If you had done some damage you would know by now.

No banana coz it has a turbo, but same basic engine.... purrs like a kitten, so I'm pretty sure I've got away wit hit...

Heavenly Creature
    You can get a TDI, same base engine. What pump have you got? Epic?

Epic?

Posted via the UKHIPPY Tapatalk Mobile App

Heavenly Creature
    Is it an electronically controlled Lucas Epic pump or a Bosch with a throttle cable?

I'll have a look later... Have taken a day off from the van to enjoy the weather at the nudist beach...

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Is it an electronically controlled Lucas Epic pump or a Bosch with a throttle cable?
    It's a Lucas.... black cover on it, with a big multi-way plug going into it... no throttle cable in sight....

Heavenly Creature
    Oh dear. Fine when they work, but notoriously unreliable.

IF you have problems with the epic pump you can change to a bosch pump if you wish...its been done on Transits with the same engine its a bit of work but simple enough.A mate had probs with his epic LDVand converted to bosch.You may have no problems with yours but vanwoman is right they (epic)are unreliable.usually the first you know is the engine management light EML comes on and the unit goes into limp home mode.

Heavenly Creature
    NRT is right. If I were you (and I have the Bosch already) I would collect the parts now. It's far less to keep in the pump, injectors, brackets, cables and I think manifold than it is to buy even a second hand Epic.

I've got more important things to think about at the moment, but will keep my eyes open and grab a bargain if I can...

Quote Originally Posted by realnutter View Post
    I've got more important things to think about at the moment, but will keep my eyes open and grab a bargain if I can...

If you do ever look for one grab one off a 76PS engine apparently theyre the least problem to set up and grab the mounts,cable and pedal too.The injector pipes can be bent slightly to fit the different pump.

To be fair if i was in that situation id spend a couple of hundred quid on a banana and chuck that in. Youll make most of that back selling the ecu, key and pump to some other poor person whos got one thats just packed up...
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, wanderingwill

Heavenly Creature
    Good plan about selling the ECU! The TDI is the same block as the DI, just with a turbo and pistons to match. So changing the whole engine is a bit extreme.

How does the Bosch unit alter fuelling to cope with changing boost pressure? The epic has loads of sensors to measure that sort of thing....

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Good plan about selling the ECU! The TDI is the same block as the DI, just with a turbo and pistons to match. So changing the whole engine is a bit extreme.
    It is and it isnt. It would be quicker to change the engine if youve got all the gear and the space to do it, plus you could then sell the duratorq, either complete or minus ecu and pump, and maybe even end up making money on it. Plus as op has already highlighted hes ran it without coolant and the corrosion issues it would make more sense to swap it.

Heavenly Creature
    How does the Bosch unit alter fuelling to cope with changing boost pressure? The epic has loads of sensors to measure that sort of thing....

You need the 110 PS pump, code ending 451. The rest is done by your right foot!

Thanks for all the advice on the engine front.... A bit of research seems to implicate the wiring in most epic failures, I'm good at that sort of thing, so fingers crossed it won't be too much of a problem... I would like to find a compatible ECU code reader, though...

Took the old girl to my local welder today, to get the cab floor reinstated... Not cheap, and not all of it necessary to please the MOT man, but worth it for peace of mind in the future... At least ten hour's worth of welding needed, so won't see her again til Friday....

I dug out the forum link my mate used on his swap.One of the guys on the transit forum did the work for him.It might help you sometime....though id agree with Rick69 if your engine is cooked it might be a better option swapping the whole unit...only you will know if its worth it.
    http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160612

Wont be a straight swop but the xud9 peugeot pump has boost compensation. Also the xud9 engine complete fits as in the earlier models of ldv.

I've just paid out over 400 quid to have my cab floor welded.... The root cause of the rust was a leaky windscreen rubber, which I have yet to fix...

However, the rust was made worse by LDV's stupid choice of cab floor covering material - some kind of moulded foam and rubber mat. The foam isn't closed cell, so acts as a giant sponge and holds lots of water in contact with the floor.. I want to put it back, for its sound deadening properties, so have tried to seal the underside...

So here it is, with a good coating of liquid latex drying... it'll get another tomorrow, and maybe another on Thursday... Fingers crossed it makes a difference!

Matt

hey realnutter, are you sure that the leak is the windscreen rubber? The windscreen wiper spindles can also leak and appear to be coming from the windscreen, theres also a couple of points behind the dash near the ecu that can leak and look the same. It might save you a load of work if it turns out to be one of those instead of the rubber. Could you get someone to run a hose over the front whilst you look for the water? Of course you may already have done that, in which case ignore the above!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, NomadicRT