THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What saved your life ?

What saved your life ?

What saved your life? doesnt have to be literally - though might be - but what thing or things saved you from living a life of depression,alcohol or drug addiction,eating disorder,self harm,unfulfillment, tedium, ravages of illness or injury (you dont have to say what it was you were saved from if its personal)..anything you consider 'saved' you from living a life you were stuck in , didnt like or hated or might have even taken it,had you not discovered this thing or things that 'saved'you ,either immediately or had a big bearing later in life.

For me it was 3 things that i discovered about the same time...
    my love of reading books ( - there was no internet-
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

which opened my eyes to my second thing- my lifelong love of nature

and the third was discovering whacky humour (at the time the Goon Show,Monty Python but later anything completely bizarre and off the wall.)

All have had a huge part in my life and undoubtedly saved me from 'the dark side' on more than one occasion and kept me going when i could easily have given up.

What saved you?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Oakley, Roamer

Turning On
    At my lowest point, when suicide was a daily thought and a very real possibility
    , good music kept me going up to a point. Ultimately is wasn't enough and I binged on soluble aspirin. Didn't particularly want to die, but didn't much feel like living either, just needed to escape the emotional pain and abject misery I was going through. Ultimately I think knowing some people cared about me saved me,and knowing some didn't gave me the strength to say'fuck you',you're not going to destroy me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, WREKAGE

My little rescue staffy Peppa saved me from hanging myself last year...eight years ago it was my father who literally cut me down and gave me CPR while the ambulance arrived.
    Being Bipolar is a bastard!

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, watershed

Turning On
    I like you! Whether were duelling on 3 word story or being more serious about stuff, we think alike. Always a good sign!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Three things in the following order:

Our old dog Bill

my husband

being taken off my the epilepsy drug I was on for 18 months.

I sat in the house pouring all the paranoia out to Bill and he sat and listened. My husband all though he couldn't directly discuss me did make my doctor the great 'we'll keep you on them for another month' see reason.

When the drugs were changed my husband said it was like getting his wife back. It wasnt a nice time in my life.

I do notice that lately the 'suicidal ideation' warning on this particular drug is much clearer
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 25-08--2016 at 11:00 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

I was disabled with fibromyalgia a few years ago. I was housebound most of the time, could only really go out in a wheelchair, and was bedbound a lot of the time. I was in a lot of pain and on a cocktail of pharma painkillers. I started eating paleo and it cured me. I'm now completely able bodied again. It's amazing!

I don't know what saved me from suicide. My spirit, I think? Fate maybe? Or luck? I dunno...

A couple of years ago I had an operation under general anaesthetic. The op was only about an hour long, but they couldn't wake me up afterwards. I was in the best ever state of pure bliss and I didn't want to come back. I could hear them all telling me to wake up, come back, breathe etc ... but I didn't want to. I liked it where I was. Then, after 2 hours (apparently... it only felt like a few seconds to me), one of the nurses really shouted at me like she was telling me off...... and in a split second I just found myself doing what she told me... and I woke up. It was her matronly manner that saved me. Although to be fair I wouldn't have minded too much if she hadn't. I was in the best place ever!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Duckman

Transcending
    Mmmm, interesting question, Nomadic. I still feel quite stuck in a life I don't want, to be honest, so I think I'm on the path of escape rather than being out of the woods yet.

There's so many different things in my life that I've done that were really damaging for me. I sort of feel that somewhere inside me there is a real me who wants to get out but all my 'stuff' sort of keeps her covered up. Over the years I've found that trying to keep an open mind and trying lots of different ways of improving or healing myself seems to be chipping away at the things that aren't good for me.

My son's been the biggest turning point in my life. I was absolutely determined that he wouldn't have the sort of childhood that I did which meant I had to be a good, responsible parent. That in turn meant a lot of my habits had to go, as have a lot of people in my life. Sadly, cutting contact with my family was the best thing I ever did.

Counselling's played a huge part in sorting things out for me. I'm seeing someone at the moment who uses a technique called Lifespan, which involves reframing traumatic memories so that you effectively go back as an adult and rescue yourself as a child. I have been blown away at how well that's helping me at the minute.

Other than that, reading has always been an escape for me; I don't know how I'd have ever got through without books. Similarly my little cluster of friends; angels from heaven they are, they have got me through some rough times and they love it when things go well for me. It's taken me a long time to appreciate them, to be honest, and to understand the difference between a friend who is genuinely on your side and one who wants to be around you for as long as it suits them. That's been a really big lesson and one that was hard to learn.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    nearly drowned-in a swimming pool-trying to learn to swim when I was 12 years old, got pulled out by two girl lifesavers from the same school as I was literally going down for the 3rd time, I haven't been swimming since, now the only water I go in is the shower.

Transcending

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    nearly drowned-in a swimming pool-trying to learn to swim when I was 12 years old, got pulled out by two girl lifesavers from the same school as I was literally going down for the 3rd time, I haven't been swimming since, now the only water I go in is the shower.

Almost drowning is v scary, Hagrid, it does stay with you, doesn't it? Similar thing happened to me when I was about 17; I was a very strong, confident swimmer before but after that experience I've always been scared of the water (I do go swimming with my son but I stick to the shallow end). Lucky there were people about to pull you out. I don't think a lot of people realise how quickly it can happen. There's been quite a spate of sea related deaths over the last few days; people just don't realise how powerful water can be.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    Almost drowning is v scary, Hagrid, it does stay with you, doesn't it? Similar thing happened to me when I was about 17; I was a very strong, confident swimmer before but after that experience I've always been scared of the water (I do go swimming with my son but I stick to the shallow end). Lucky there were people about to pull you out. I don't think a lot of people realise how quickly it can happen. There's been quite a spate of sea related deaths over the last few days; people just don't realise how powerful water can be.
    about 12 people have died in the sea around the British coast in the last week I think.
    many people are unaware about anything to do with the sea, some don't even know the tide goes in and out twice a day! have personal experience of this.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    First time, thought of leaving my kids fatherless.

Second time, somehow finding the strength to walk out of a mutually destructive and irreparable marriage.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by marshlander

Second time, somehow finding the strength to walk out of a mutually destructive and irreparable marriage.
    been there, done that, got the T shirt !!!

I like your 3 nomad. Books, nature & humour. All 3 have helped me too.

I think for me, lonnnnng before I had my daughter, is most definitely horses.
    The horses always kept me going.

Music helped, keeping fit. Competition also. I'm stupid silly competitive but that has been a major plus for me. It kept me focused on good stuff & gave me a backbone.

I'm happy to just plod on these days though. If my girl is happy then I'm happy
    she is pretty much all that matters these days. She rings me everyday with her excited chatter & that is enough for my heart to bust with pride & happiness.

Job done! Pass the slippers

Not that I've ever won anything worth winning
    you'd think I was an olympian with my last post

Idiot

Ahhh I just read all the other posts
    cripes it really really makes me aware of how lucky I am

Love & hugs to you all.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, hagrid

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    What saved your life?
    The realisation that nothing I am likely to do is terribly important!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    My dad told me at 6 yrs old i would never amount to anything so ive never expected to. i thought id add it to my epitaph

'never good enough but i did it anyway'
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Stopping drinking 4 years ago was the big one for me and the best decision i`ve ever made. After about 15 years of partying and heavy drinking i managed to cut down for several years but still was a mess...mostly mentally...so finally made the decision to stop completely. Never say never but i really can`t see me ever going back to that life again. The thought of a hangover terrifies me..

The second thing for me was discovering mindfulness. It`s a work in progress but i`m slowly starting to feel like my thoughts don`t control me anymore...most of the time anyway

More recently, stopping using the internet at home has been a really positive thing for me. Not exactly life saving but definitely life enriching. I can now knit a mean hat
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, GivingItThought, marshlander, NomadicRT

Transcending

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd

I don't agree with that! I think people often underestimate the impact an act of kindness or compassion can have on someone else's life. That chat at the bus stop might be the first time someone's spoken to an elderly person all week. You might be the only person who bothered to make sure your neighbour had groceries when it was snowing and they couldn't get out. The sandwich you buy a homeless man might not only keep him from going hungry for a few hours but it might just make him feel that someone cares about him a bit. Strangers have done things for me in the past and they've no idea of the impact those few kind words or a kind gesture have meant to me - a lot of the time I haven't realised until some time has passed. It's not always obvious in the moment. So I think there are lots of things you might be doing that are terribly important to someone else, you just might not know it
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, marshlander, NomadicRT, Okifolki, Sootyfoot, ThreeMoons, yazz

Transcending

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    My dad told me at 6 yrs old i would never amount to anything so ive never expected to. i thought id add it to my epitaph

'never good enough but i did it anyway'

I think other people often think more of us than we realise, Nomadic
    It's a terrible shame when parents tell their kids things like that (mine were very similar!). Does a lot of damage to development, in my opinion, and can take many years to re-programme the brain to believe something different.

I do think it's interesting as well, as we live in such a material society, that a lot of people equate 'success' with material wealth or positions of power. Imagine the difference in the world if people worked as hard to be kind as they do to earn more and keep getting promotions
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, marshlander, NomadicRT

individual fruit trifle beachcomber's Avatar

Originally Posted by emmadilemma

More recently, stopping using the internet at home has been a really positive thing for me. Not exactly life saving but definitely life enriching. I can now knit a mean hat
    This has become my worst habit. All the things I should be doing, and want to be doing, just somehow get forgotten about while I waste an entire evening mindlessly scrolling facebook or twitter for hours. I really think it's ruining my attention span too. It's like an unhealthy addiction now, so I really have to change it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, marshlander, NomadicRT

What saved my life? The ability to carry on no matter what and my ridiculous talent for always seeing the way forward even when all doors(physical and mental) appear to be closed.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, GivingItThought, NomadicRT, ThreeMoons

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Writing. I turn every negative thought into a positive one, whether it's a stupid poem, a story or just a couple of thoughts. I'm writing a play at the moment.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, marshlander

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar

Originally Posted by hagrid
    about 12 people have died in the sea around the British coast in the last week I think.
    many people are unaware about anything to do with the sea, some don't even know the tide goes in and out twice a day! have personal experience of this.
    Yes I agree, I spent every moment I could at Llangennith beach as I do like a bit of a surf, every year someone drowned. Shocking!