THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A conversion with no knowledge, but with the best of intentions.

Turning On

A conversion with no knowledge, but with the best of intentions.

So it begins! We have now officially started our conversion! Will try and keep this updated and show any progress we make. But I suspect that most of my posts on here will be questions and to ask advice as I've no idea what I'm doing.

We didn't actually get much done today, we threw a few bits out, noted what we will pull out and sell, had a quick clean and pulled up some of the rubber matting. But then the sun got it's shine on, so we decided to go for something to eat and a drink instead . With this kind of work ethic we will be finished in no time!

We are planning on perhaps selling the horse partitions, the oven, the hobs, the fridge and possibly the water heater (can't seem to get that working).

The floor under the matting looks to be wooden sheets (about an inch thick) mounted on top of what looks like thicker railway sleeper style planks. As I've said before, I am really no expert and I am going into this a bit blind....but is this normal? I was expecting some kind of metal sheet under the sub floor. In terms of the state of the floor beneath the rubber matting, about a 1/4 of it needs replacing, but I wanted to replace the whole lot anyway so it doesn't matter too much. And perhaps the sleeper too, but it seemed pretty solid and uncorrupted.

We've done a few quick layout designs and know roughly where we want things (my girlfriend wants the kitchen sink by a window so she can look out when she does the washing up....which is funny as it's usually me that does it!), but when you have that ramp down and can bring the outdoors into your space, that is something we have to incorporate somehow.

Anyway, here are a few photos of today's small progress .

Heavenly Creature
    No steel sub floor then?

Is it a gas oven, and is it a combined hob sink?

You're certainly not going to be short of room in there

Damn...that is Mahoosive!

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

What a fantastic project
    You can have rooms in there so when you have an argument you can slam doors and everything.

When I have an argument and slam the door I find myself outside in a field wearing just me socks

Paul
    PⒶUL

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    No steel sub floor then?
    Well at not in the back end at least. Is this a good thing? I feel like it's a good thing as I didn't want to be pulling out loads of rusted metal. And could I put my own metal sub floor in if I wanted too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Is it a gas oven, and is it a combined hob sink?

You're certainly not going to be short of room in there
    It's a gas oven, but we need something we can mount out of the reach of little arms (we have a 1 yr old son that is very mobile). And it's a separate hob and sink, but they are both too big for us. We only really need a small sink and 2 burners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    Damn...that is Mahoosive!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    It's just shy of 8m in length, I think each panel on the side is 1.1m. With the ramp down it seems a bazillion times bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    What a fantastic project
    You can have rooms in there so when you have an argument you can slam doors and everything.

When I have an argument and slam the door I find myself outside in a field wearing just me socks

Paul
    The doors will most likely be sliding doors, the slam they produce just isn't very satisfying .
    Last edited by Danbot; 29-08--2016 at 09:37 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, marshlander

Slide it then kick it a couple times...makes a good amount of noise then...😂😂😂

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cornwall87, Danbot

I may be interested in the oven danbot, depending of course on where you are!

Turning On
    We're in the south Berkshire / north Surrey kind of area of that's any good to you?

Wow, that's big!

Looks like a very good canvas to me :-)
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbot View Post
    We're in the south Berkshire / north Surrey kind of area of that's any good to you?
    Sorry it'd be more in diesel than the ovens worth! Thanks anyway

Turning On
    Quick update!

Slowly pulling everything out and have now totally decimated what was the old living area. Removed all the cupboards, removed carpet on walls (why do people carpet walls? It is truly dreadful!), pulled out the electrics, laminate flooring gone, fridge and cooker gone. All we pretty much have in there now is half a seat, the sub floor and the plywood walls with the polystyrene insulation. This will all come out too in time, the walls are a bit rank...could stay but I'd rather not take any chances, the sink had no drainage and basically the waste water would just drop out and leave the vehicle via a hole in the sub floor...so the floor is also a bit dodgy in the front end.

Next job is to finish any little jobs in the front, remove the partition walls and get the shower/toilet out. Then it'll be time to take on what has been my nemesis of the whole build so far, a large metal beam that was used to hold the old horse partitions in place. The thing is riveted in place from underneath with giant bolts about an inch and a half thick. I'll need some kind of laser to cut it out!

I'll pop up some photos later to show the damage we've done .

An inch and a half thick bolts? Not even chassis are bolted to boxes by bolts that mahoosive.
    Happy grinding.

Why do people carpet walls? To stop the condensation. As far as I know it's the best thing for it which is why I've lined all my cupboards with it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Carpets spart from veing decorative wall hangings,are great insulators thats why tribal people use them in yurts for one and why thryre used in benders and tents.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Turning On
    I knew there must be some kind of logical and practical reason for it, but the stuff we pulled off looked like old 90's office flooring.

The biggest challenge to date is getting the time. We have a 1 year old son that is already one hell of a climber, fiddler and explorer....no way we could concentrate on what we are doing if he was around on site. So we are doing it in shifts and using up all the baby sitting promises we accrued through my lady's pregnancy .

Anyway, here is the mess we've made so far...

The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, essexcamper, fiddledeedee, kiwikid, marshlander, NomadicRT, Rick69, Wulfie

Plenty of fuel for nonfire night then
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danbot

Not Quite a Noobie fiddledeedee's Avatar
    I had one of those in my box. I plugged the holes with fluff and built up the floor around it! I've got a couple of inches of floor insulation so it more than covered it. Those compressed foam sleeping mats are great for padding miscellaneous gaps
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddledeedee View Post
    I had one of those in my box. I plugged the holes with fluff and built up the floor around it! I've got a couple of inches of floor insulation so it more than covered it. Those compressed foam sleeping mats are great for padding miscellaneous gaps
    I would leave it there if I could, but it's butted up right against the wall where the horses rear end was facing. And that wall is riveted in across the bottom. I was thinking that the floor is coming out anyway so I could cut around it and just get it out that way?
    The following users think this post is groovy: fiddledeedee

Turning On
    Hi again! Conversion is still coming along nicely and a few big steps have been made.....mainly with the help of a angle grinder and a huge crowbar.

What I have discovered so far is that our biggest problem isn't time, money or knowledge.....it's finding a regular babysitter for our boy.

Haven't updated in a while due to moving to a new temporary address, having a big bust up with the ex landlord (which totally re-enforces our reasons for doing this) and us both being swamped at work. We have gutted 90% of the horsebox interior, removed as much rust as we could, put a few layers of red oxide on. We've also started damp proofing, turning the horse box into a GOTH BOX!!

While it can be both frustrating and stressful, finally getting past destroying and getting around to creating is very uplifting.

And a quick floor plan I did at work whilst trying to look busy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, kiwikid, marshlander, Rick69, Sootyfoot, ursus, Wulfie

Sure you want to sleep in the Luton? Quite claustrophobic and it's good to be able to at least kneel in bed if you catch my drift

Not Quite a Noobie fiddledeedee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subgenre View Post
    Sure you want to sleep in the Luton? Quite claustrophobic and it's good to be able to at least kneel in bed if you catch my drift
    I second that!! Loads of space under the bed but plenty of room to play on top!

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddledeedee View Post
    I second that!! Loads of space under the bed but plenty of room to play on top!
    Just relocate the roof hatch.

Signed, former Fiat 500 owner.