Thread: I plan to busk

I plan to busk

I had my first harp lesson yesterday, which went very well. (Although the guy thinks I need a new harp that will set me back about 800....). My plan is to busk and do a few handfastings (pagan weddings). I already play the tin whistle but people can find that really annoying, so it's not a good busking instrument. I'm learning guitar and ukulele, but I'm really shit and will never be good enough to busk with those - especially given that competition is very high. I reckon the harp is my best bet. Most people find it really good to listen to. It's relaxing, pretty and inoffensive.

Do I need a licence to busk? If so, will I need a separate licence for each borough I busk in? Are there any rules and stuff I need to know or can I just rock up on the street with my harp outside Waterstones or whatever? Can I busk at retail parks or in shopping centres?

Any tips and hints will be appreciated!

Heavenly Creature
    There is something about watching and listening to a woman playing a harp that really makes my primevals stir.

Seems to massage the third eye and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Saxophones too

James

Well that's gotta be worth a quid or two then
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    It's a lovely instrument to play because the sound board leans against you so the sound resonates through your whole body. A bit cumbersome to be lugging around the streets but I have a plan involving an IKEA trolley....
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Sootyfoot

Morning
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I looked this up on the internet some time ago and I'm sure it said you need a licence for each area if you're in one spot but it's ok if you're peddling your wares on the move. Get some wheels for your harp?

love this guy's playing

paul
    PⒶUL

Thanks Treemeister, I've had a look around and it seems some places you need a licence for but others you don't... although some councils have a code of conduct for buskers.

Aman - wow that guy is awesome! I've a long way to go... I've only had one lesson so far!

You play a multitude of instruments very well indeed. You also have a beautiful strong singing voice. All of these skills and attributes will assure you a prosperous busking career.

Originally Posted by Okifolki

Do I need a licence to busk? If so, will I need a separate licence for each borough I busk in? Are there any rules and stuff I need to know or can I just rock up on the street with my harp outside Waterstones or whatever? Can I busk at retail parks or in shopping centres?

Any tips and hints will be appreciated!
    Would you want to sit in a retail park all day?

I find penny whistle works well at Xmas and the winter months.

City centres may be different, but I find it hard to believe a town would ask a harp to move.

Heavenly Creature
    Okifolki!! Somebody on Gumtree is giving away a harp!!

Any good to you? I can collect if so.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, treestump

you should pm her VW..she might get sent a phone notification about your msg
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    Good point NRT. Done!

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Oh I love the harp, I think doing weddings is a fantastic idea. Good luck with it. Will you post videos of your progress etc?
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Okifolki!! Somebody on Gumtree is giving away a harp!!

Any good to you? I can collect if so.
    I dunno .... you offer to do really nice things for folk and then they cant be arsed to answer the thread.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Noobie
    was buskin in York centre this halloween around 10pm and cop cars crawled by a dozen times without hassle and no issue re license - btw best to make pennies between pub chuck out and clubtime and mebbe take some diy percussion stuff (peas in plastic bottles etc) to encourage punters to join in/hang around/dance...
    good luck
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Originally Posted by dreamerden
    was buskin in York centre this halloween around 10pm and cop cars crawled by a dozen times without hassle and no issue re license - btw best to make pennies between pub chuck out and clubtime and mebbe take some diy percussion stuff (peas in plastic bottles etc) to encourage punters to join in/hang around/dance...
    good luck
    Hey dreamerden, what were u busking?

And Oki, how are your harp lessons going?

Tree

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    No idea about busking, but you're amazing!

Legendary chill out around the Derby campfire. So pleased you'll be sharing that experience with more people.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Thank you! How kind of you to say so! Thanks for the advice dreamerden - good ideas! Harp lessons are coming along nicely thanks, but I wish I could learn as quickly as I used to when I was younger lol. It takes more time and effort these days.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Noobie
    hello, I know for a fact you won't need a License to busk in bolton, because i used to busk in bolton about 10 years ago,
    As I remember there is only about 4 places within the town centre your allowed to busk, WHSmiths and outside marks and spencers and also the Tunnel which is next too some pound shop. You are usually ok busking without a License in most towns and cities unless you try it in London and then defiantly you will need a License. Anyway Good Luck its a tough life busking

Noobie
    Dub FX got famous and a career in music from busking

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    I have asked in Edinburgh with the Harp
    It was good money especially because I had a really unusual instrument
    Are you still come home with 50 quid minimum a Day but it was hard going
    If there are any mistakes in my posts it's Apple dictation's fault

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    It was fun but tiring
    If there are any mistakes in my posts it's Apple dictation's fault