THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What have you given today?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Now you're talking, that's giving alright! But how do the animals communicate their wishes? Do you draw the line at invertebrates? Old men with whiskers?
    When I work with animals I sit quietly and use my intuition, I have also worked with a few old men with whiskers
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    Sounds as if we should all be looking in the bazaar. Maybe we need a UK Frippy section.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I m pretty sure in this instance LV was referring to a giveaway with no physical form and of dubious use . it made me smile anyway..
    It was, about the giving away of worthless opinions.

thought so
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    It was, about the giving away of worthless opinions.
    that's your opinion.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

I gave lots of my time today to a friend who has lost his job and needed someone to talk to and listen to his worries.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, dollybassett, GivingItThought, hagrid, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Nothing but my time, still surrounded by *stuff* and not liking it. But tomorrow, ah, great plans...
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought, nicklincs

Transcending
    Time's a very precious thing to give, so's love, understanding, compassion, they're all things that mean so much and that you can't put a price on. In terms of stuff, virtually everything in my house has been given to us; someone I know redoes their whole house constantly, a room at a time, so everything gets replaced every 3 - 5 years and I get all their old stuff
    I do tend to clear things out fairly quickly so generally I take things to the charity shop if it's in good condition; not so good I'll put it on Freecycle or down the tip (where they resell and/or recycle). I think making people presents is a lovely thing to give - it's the time that goes into it that makes the difference
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Turning On

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    I looked up freegle. It's pretty much like freecycle.
    I'm in favour of ANY site that helps to reduce landfill. There was a kerfuffle with Freecycle a while back and the Reading group split away from them - never understood nor was interested in the details. Local groups significantly reduce fuel costs so make a heck of a lot of sense (my stuff only travelled 6 miles). I get emails nearly every day with both wanted and offered stuff (usually 20 - 40 items) as well as local community events etc. that only take a few seconds to read.
    Gumtree doesn't seem to be quite so locally focussed, but I'll check it as well from now on so thanks for your comment.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    Time's a very precious thing to give, so's love, understanding, compassion...
    Yup, time especially precious at my age! Of the others, understanding is the hardest to come by, maybe giving away *stuff* is a proxy for love, compassion, etc. But who needs it anyway, we came here naked and might as well leave naked. Actually i'm mostly naked. Joke! No I'm not! Honest!

Can't agree with you about presents. I hate having things for which I have no use but cannot discard because it would offend someone. The best gifts are for immediate consumption... or socks!

I dont do Christmas or birthdays or cards...its all part of the moneygoround machine...i make things for people i know theyll like or pay for them to go somewhere for a treat.Most of my own stuff comes from charity shops

My time this morning was given helping a young lad get his tractor out of a ditch -which hed obviously never done before bless him.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Electrikgypsy, GivingItThought

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by pencs
    I'm in favour of ANY site that helps to reduce landfill.
    The sight of my bank statement helps considerably!

Transcending

Yup, time especially precious at my age! Of the others, understanding is the hardest to come by, maybe giving away *stuff* is a proxy for love, compassion, etc. But who needs it anyway, we came here naked and might as well leave naked. Actually i'm mostly naked. Joke! No I'm not! Honest!

Can't agree with you about presents. I hate having things for which I have no use but cannot discard because it would offend someone. The best gifts are for immediate consumption... or socks!
    Home made jam! Or cakes! Or maybe jam socks?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

I used to make Christmas or Birthday cakes for people or jackets or dog coats...my friend had an old wheelback carver chair she intended getting renovated but never did..i nicked it out of her garage one day,renovated and gave it her back for Christmas.She thought id bought it her till i told her it was hers...she didnt stop crying for ages -which wasnt in the plans -but i felt it was more use than buying some pointless junk.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, ma bungo

Heavenly Creature

..i nicked it out of her garage one day,renovated and gave it her back for Christmas.
    If that was me I would have had my collar felt for nicking the chair. Or maybe she put the chair away because she hated it? That could explain the tears!

I have given myself a headache today, I have a major decision to make and I am no good at making decisions

If that was me I would have had my collar felt for nicking the chair. Or maybe she put the chair away because she hated it? That could explain the tears!
    It was a chair given to her by an aunt and always intended having renovated but couldnt afford to at the time,it sits in her lounge now not the garage...if she doesnt want stuff its in the skip -even new stuff.

Heavenly Creature
    I gave some T shirts and some shoes to the lads in the cars

Heavenly Creature
    @dolly, what if you spun a coin? Would that be ridiculous, or would it be at least as good as your (sweated) decision? Are any of the consequences of the alternatives illegal or immoral, and if so do you care? If you asked 100 people to make that decision, which outcome would they choose? Would you respect their choice? If it was 1 million people, would that make a difference? What would your mother do? Would she be right? Should you be trying to make a decision with a headache? It's already late, the brain should perform better in the morning, though that depends on your medications.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature

It was a chair given to her by an aunt and always intended having renovated but couldnt afford to at the time,it sits in her lounge now not the garage...if she doesnt want stuff its in the skip -even new stuff.
    Just joshing m8, no offence meant!

no worries..i wasnt sure you had a sense of humor...

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    my money in exchange for diesel
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought, NomadicRT

Transcending

I used to make Christmas or Birthday cakes for people or jackets or dog coats...my friend had an old wheelback carver chair she intended getting renovated but never did..i nicked it out of her garage one day,renovated and gave it her back for Christmas.She thought id bought it her till i told her it was hers...she didnt stop crying for ages -which wasnt in the plans -but i felt it was more use than buying some pointless junk.
    Ah that's nice, Nomadic, I think it's the thought with pressies, isn't it, when you know someone well you know what really matters to them and it means such a lot. I'm not much into stuff but the bits I have got are either pressies from friends or little things I've bought when we've been somewhere nice so when I look at them it reminds me either of the person or the nice time we had and that always makes me smile

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    I have given myself a headache today, I have a major decision to make and I am no good at making decisions
    It can be so difficult can't it, I hope the answer comes to you soon, Dolly
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

not today, but last month, when I emptied my house, I gave a mate a pair of leather chesterfield sofas. a 3 seater and a 2 seater.
    he aint got much and he's now chuffed to have these in his quite small council flat.

james