THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What have you given today?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by dollybassett
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I have given myself a headache today, I have a major decision to make and I am no good at making decisions
    I've always got a couple of dice in my pocket, which I use sometimes to make decisions.

I read a book, many years ago called The Diceman

I've made some quite serious choices by following his method.

In fact I will be deciding on some of my future travel destinations on the throw of a dice.
    eg OK, I'm at Calais right now, do I go north, south, or east, chuck the dice and follow the result to where it leads.. and so on.

Just hope that it doesn't lead me to places where the bullets are flying...
    It won't because I'm lucky.

james
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, ThreeMoons

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by wobblyjim
    I've always got a couple of dice in my pocket, which I use sometimes to make decisions.
    That's the male predicament for you james, in a nutshell, as it were.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wobblyjim

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    @dolly, what if you spun a coin? Would that be ridiculous, or would it be at least as good as your (sweated) decision? Are any of the consequences of the alternatives illegal or immoral, and if so do you care? If you asked 100 people to make that decision, which outcome would they choose? Would you respect their choice? If it was 1 million people, would that make a difference? What would your mother do? Would she be right? Should you be trying to make a decision with a headache? It's already late, the brain should perform better in the morning, though that depends on your medications.
    My medication of choice is a mug of tea in my big guinness mug and I have had plenty of those just lately, I don't take any pills I never have I heal myself. My mother who resides in another dimension would tell me to go for it and not look back, she probably would be right but I am a stubborn cow

I spoke with a really good friend a few weeks ago and he said listen to your heart it always knows what to do and always tells you the truth.

Thank you Bryn

That's the male predicament for you james, in a nutshell, as it were.
    love in his eyes and murder in his trousers
    james

My medication of choice is a mug of tea in my big guinness mug and I have had plenty of those just lately, I don't take any pills I never have I heal myself. My mother who resides in another dimension would tell me to go for it and not look back, she probably would be right but I am a stubborn cow

I spoke with a really good friend a few weeks ago and he said listen to your heart it always knows what to do and always tells you the truth.

Thank you Bryn
    When trying to resolve an issue, the thoughts in your head, the pros & the cons, are simply your right brain having a debate with your left brain, the gut reaction and listening to your heart is your spirit/soul trying to guide you.

James
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

Funny isn't it the things we use to make decisions, I can see the relevance of having a pair of dice, I generally use angel cards and whatever cards get revealed they are always accurate.

Today I am going to give myself the gift of being out in nature taking my sweet doggie Grace for a autumn walk in the woods followed by tea and cake in a new vegan cafe that has just opened in Keswick and then as I have no work today I am going to have a sneaky snooze on my comfy bed in my Dolly van

Funny isn't it the things we use to make decisions, I can see the relevance of having a pair of dice, I generally use angel cards and whatever cards get revealed they are always accurate.

Today I am going to give myself the gift of being out in nature taking my sweet doggie Grace for a autumn walk in the woods followed by tea and cake in a new vegan cafe that has just opened in Keswick and then as I have no work today I am going to have a sneaky snooze on my comfy bed in my Dolly van
    sounds like a plan, hope it stays dry for you, enjoy !

james

Heavenly Creature
    A large chattel, no longer compatible with my lifestyle and a drain on my energy. Quite a relief to see the last of it off.

Next, the broken guitars...

Heavenly Creature
    I'm going right off Freecycle. A few weeks ago I couldn't advertise for a scythe because it might be sharp. Now I can't list a couple of old PCs because my post has TOO MANY CAPITALS - hard to avoid when you are listing IBM and HP PCs!

Given that I have already decided that these items are worthless to me, it is poor psychology and poor design to make it hard to dispose of them through this channel.

The tip isn't far though. Let's burn some hydrocarbons!

Stupid Freecycle.

Heavenly Creature
    Is there a Gumtree site for your local town/city? List them in the freebies section if so.

I'm going right off Freecycle. A few weeks ago I couldn't advertise for a scythe because it might be sharp. Now I can't list a couple of old PCs because my post has TOO MANY CAPITALS - hard to avoid when you are listing IBM and HP PCs!

Given that I have already decided that these items are worthless to me, it is poor psychology and poor design to make it hard to dispose of them through this channel.

Stupid Freecycle.
    Couldn't you have put ibm pc's - im sure that people would still understand.
    Either that or old computers - free for collection.

Failing that leave them in the street with a note saying free please take me.

Its only as hard as you want to make it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    just posted a free fridge on freecycle-no probs.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Its only as hard as you want to make it.
    Thanks Rick, I'll try to remember that one for next time.

Stupid Freecycle.
    Preloved have a freebie section (freeloved)

I did give a shit today. But that's the last time.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I did give a shit today. But that's the last time.
    Yes , I know the feeling, I will charge from now on,especially for the sweet corn studded logs
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Too busy to give owt away, not a great feeling. Am I addicted to disposal?

Chips! I was hanging around outside the chippy debating it (no pea fritters, what to have? Or just cook summat in the van?) and the guy working there asked me if i wanted free chips. Yes I do, thank ee kindly

I was also given some advice today from a lovely lady whilst on a Jurassic Coast boat trip from Exmouth...."just do it". Luckily I was contemplating travelling, not jumping
    it was her 60th birthday and she had spent 18 years looking after her mother and then when she was 'free' at 55 had chronic health problems that meant she was in too much pain to go.

I've just applied for a job in Bristol so if I don't get it I'll take that advice and a-travelling I will go!

A lorry driver a hand loading some digger buckets as his hiab had packed up and hed got to get back to London ...i got a free new acrow prop for the effort which im sure will come in handy ..to sell.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    Failed to donate a couple of old PCs at the tip today - they recycle them. I was told that because they did not have disc drives, which I had removed for physical destruction, they were incomplete and should go in the "metal" skip. So they are still with me until I can find somone who really recycles them - cases, fans, motherboards etc. What a dreadful waste!

Unbelieveable - jobsworths again.

Heavenly Creature
    I understand destroying the hard drive, but why destroy the disc drive?
    I see recycling as taking materials from one item and using them to make another similar item (like cans) or something totally different (like tyres into play surface).
    Sounds like what your tip was doing was just selling stuff.
    Hay ho, as long as it doesn't go to landfill.

I assume he meant hard drives. A lot of people remove them in the belief that others will want to recover their data after scaremongering.

If you boot from a linux usb distro and erase the disk with dd using sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M that should be enough for most people paranoid about people recovering their data.

Transcending

Failed to donate a couple of old PCs at the tip today - they recycle them. I was told that because they did not have disc drives, which I had removed for physical destruction, they were incomplete and should go in the "metal" skip. So they are still with me until I can find somone who really recycles them - cases, fans, motherboards etc. What a dreadful waste!

Brynhyffryd, there's a charity that builds computers for disabled people out of recycled parts, they might be able to use them?

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd