THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What have you given today?

Heavenly Creature

What have you given today?

I'm such a lazy fellow, I hoped that someone else would start this thread...

Anyway, what have you given?

Did it make you feel better? Worse?

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    I've given my partner another sleepless night, and it doesn't make me feel better.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youve given your time and skills writing your blog tuition posts..or have you forgotten that bit.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, EnglishLens

Transcending
    Giving always makes me feel better as long as it's to someone who needs something. I don't like the Christmas stuff of buying loads of people gifts they don't really need but I do like doing little hampers for the Age Concern collection or books for the charities that give to kids in care, for example. Don't think I did any giving yesterday, though - unless you count giving the Energy Watch man a talking to and telling him I don't like randoms coming to my door assuming I've not got the sense to keep an eye on my leccy prices and switch accordingly
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Personally I think the best giving is being nice to people, esp strangers as you never know when someone's all alone and might not have spoken to anybody all day. Five minutes chat costs nothing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Youve given your time and skills writing your blog tuition posts..or have you forgotten that bit.
    Thanks for the kind words, but it has helped me to sort out in my head what I want to do with my domain names. Miss-Terry came out of posting in this forum, and I want to start the Vanor House sometime in the next month or so.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    I'm such a lazy fellow, I hoped that someone else would start this thread...

Anyway, what have you given?

Did it make you feel better? Worse?
    given? why should I give away something I have worked and paid for? let them get their own.
    that's sounds very much like a "born again" remark.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by hagrid
    given? why should I give away something I have worked and paid for? let them get their own.
    that's sounds very much like a "born again" remark.
    LOL, you just gave your opinion away!
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Electrikgypsy, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    LOL, you just gave your opinion away!
    Maybe he should have kept it to himself

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

Taking stuff to the tip is giving it away. I prefer to give usable items to a disabled friend, so that he can sell them at a car boot. I don't want to spend time selling at a car boot, and it helps him manage a very tight budget.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, nicklincs, NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    we take usable stuff to a private recycling centre(not council) where they sell it for a small profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by aman
    Maybe he should have kept it to himself

Paul
    WHY? isn't that what forums are for-to voice an opinion??
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs

All our opinions are worth what others are willing to pay for them, and a not a penny more.

Giving away something utterly worthless is really just dumping unwanted crap onto others to deal with,

At least, that is my opinion. Full no quibble refunds are available, just use the ignore user button.

lone wolf survivalist.
    wtf? I think someone got out the wrong side of bed this morning.

Today I given myself in service to any person or animal that crosses my path.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, NomadicRT

Turning On
    A 16yr old 6ft tall Fridge/Freezer and Tumbledryer, both still great condition and working well. Freegle is your friend and it was about bally time I gave as well as received. Feel great that the massive decluttering excercise has finally got underway - now, does anybody want 4 defunct PCs and 4 ancient Macs, 5 defunct printers and an ancient scanner, numerous dead/dodgy keyboards etc etc etc...

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    there is a joke in there somewhere

james

Originally Posted by pencs
    A 16yr old 6ft tall Fridge/Freezer and Tumbledryer, both still great condition and working well. Freegle is your friend and it was about bally time I gave as well as received. Feel great that the massive decluttering excercise has finally got underway - now, does anybody want 4 defunct PCs and 4 ancient Macs, 5 defunct printers and an ancient scanner, numerous dead/dodgy keyboards etc etc etc...

Oi whatcha doing ferreting around in my container store ! I *need* that junk, leave my stuff alone.

James

I need a hug but you are a long way up country

James

Heavenly Creature

Now you're talking, that's giving alright! But how do the animals communicate their wishes? Do you draw the line at invertebrates? Old men with whiskers?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    Giving away something utterly worthless is really just dumping unwanted crap onto others to deal with...
    Sure. So you might use a multi-channel strategy for chattel disposal, starting with eBay or a note in the Post Office window, and ending with the tip. Personally I like to give Freecycle a chance in the mix because it works, mostly**, and sometimes leads to making agreeable contacts.

Anyone else for Freecycle?

**Just remembered, Freecycle turned down my ad for something because it was sharp, but nobody's perfect!

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by hagrid
    given? why should I give away something I have worked and paid for?
    er, because you have no further use for it and reselling is more trouble than it is worth?
    ...that's sounds very much like a "born again" remark.
    What's one of those then?

Heavenly Creature
    I gave to a food bank, just over a ús worth.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

I m pretty sure in this instance LV was referring to a giveaway with no physical form and of dubious use . it made me smile anyway..
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by pencs
    Freegle is your friend

I looked up freegle. It's pretty much like freecycle. I am not so keen on things you have to join, and each group is restricted to a borough in London.
    I still haven't found anything as good as the Gumtree Freebies section.

It's just like any other kind of ad, only the stuff is free. No joining up or logging on.

Originally Posted by wobblyjim
    I need a hug but you are a long way up country

James
    I give great hugs
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, wobblyjim