THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Greyhound racing banned in NSW.

Do you know how these dogs are kept,what happens when rhey lose,how they are disposed of?We were pleased the racing ended south of gloucester.The losers were often thrown out of vehicles on the motorway.It is usual also to cut off their ears before dumping thenm so the strays/corpses cant be id and traced back ti their owners.Healthy indeed.I have one here on his sofa.He was saved from being hung as a pup in Ireland.Even so he has a broken rib and tail.I dont think greyhound racers are morons at all they are.............
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, treeboy

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cricket
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Do you know how these dogs are kept,what happens when rhey lose,how they are disposed of?We were pleased the racing ended south of gloucester.The losers were often thrown out of vehicles on the motorway.It is usual also to cut off their ears before dumping thenm so the strays/corpses cant be id and traced back ti their owners.Healthy indeed.I have one here on his sofa.He was saved from being hung as a pup in Ireland.Even so he has a broken rib and tail.I dont think greyhound racers are morons at all they are.............

There are plenty of people who abuse animals in this world who are not connected to the racing world. Animal cruelty is not just a racing problem. As I said before my uncle raced dogs (it was a hobby). They spent all their life as pets on a farm regardles of whether they raced or not. I don't consider my uncle a moron but a responsible pet owner that pandered to this particular breeds innate dislike of long walks and a preference to a mad sprint. I think the problem is that people who have it in them to be cruel to animals don't usually need an excuse such as racing.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

im sure your uncle is a lovely person and his hounds sound lucky to have been with him.I was not making a personal slight against your uncle ,but nor do I retract anything i said as its all true.Greyhound racing big time is a lucrative industry,the hounds are merely commoditys that are generally disposed of quickly as cheaply as possible when they are not bringing money in.Being thrown out on the motorway is very cheap indeed.To avoid detection when dumped their ears are cut off if tatooed.When this awful indus
    try is closed down,the suffering will end for the untold thousands who dont make it to be winners and those who stop winning.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami

im sure your uncle is a lovely person and his hounds sound lucky to have been with him.I was not making a personal slight against your uncle ,but nor do I retract anything i said as its all true.Greyhound racing big time is a lucrative industry,the hounds are merely commoditys that are generally disposed of quickly as cheaply as possible when they are not bringing money in.Being thrown out on the motorway is very cheap indeed.To avoid detection when dumped their ears are cut off if tatooed.When this awful indus
    try is closed down,the suffering will end for the untold thousands who dont make it to be winners and those who stop winning.
    BOLLOCKS , just plain bollocks you speak there.

too dark to see keyboard at the moment and I cannot really be asked to elaborate by torchlight to your very biased views.

talk to greyhound rescue organisation or other online fact finder.rspca etc.you can tell them the truth is bollocks.google greyhound disposal for yourself.

I am well aware that animal abuse happens , why you are choosing to pick on greyhound owners is not so clear , maybe you read an article and decided to jump on the band wagon ?

Have you ever been in or around the kennels, dogs or owners /trainers ? ,no I thought not.... let me educate you.

Firstly dog racing is not lucrative , the gambling that occurs around it may be but trust me the owners get very little in prize money , certainly not enough to cover housing . feeding, vets bill, travel etc etc , they do it because they like to watch their pets run faster than someone elses. what the 'lucrative' side does is to ensure fair play by testing and checking the dogs and their kennels , any discrepancies and the owner losses their licence.

As for disposal let me tell you about my mothers last retired racer , the one I mentioned earlier... JJ was a racer for about 7 years then a house pet he lived to be 14 I believe and when he died it was 8pm on a sunday evening at loca vets, his back legs had been weak for a while .incontinance had set in and we think he went a bit senile wandering around randomly barking , on this sunday ma called me in tears 'JJ has fallen and is bleeding badly from his mouth'', i turned up in my bus and had to lift him in . he emptied his bladder on the bus and wiped blood everywhere , vets charged about 120 quid for the injection , another 80 for being 'out of hours' and another 70 for disposal , AT NO POINT was it even considered that i hit him over the head and chuck his corpse in a layby to save the cash , reason is WE LOVED THAT HOUND.
    HOW DARE YOU TAR ALL OWNERS WITH THE SAME BRUSH , get back off ya high horse and discuss this more when you actually have a grasp on what you are saying !!

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=cricket;1495920]im sure your uncle is a lovely person and his hounds sound lucky to have been with him.I was not making a personal slight against your uncle ,but nor do I retract anything i said as its all true.Greyhound racing big time is a lucrative industry,the hounds are merely commoditys that are generally disposed of quickly as cheaply as possible when they are not bringing money in.Being thrown out on the motorway is very cheap indeed.To avoid detection when dumped their ears are cut off if tatooed.When this awful indus
    try is closed down,the suffering will end for the untold thousands who dont make it to be winners and those who stop winning.[/QUOTE

I agree with Shroom - racing is not lucrative and the joy comes from seeing the dog enjoying a sprint around the track. It was also a great place to meet other greyhound enthusiasts. Most of the people I met were very responsible pet owners. I'm sure there are and have been horrific stories of cruelty but as I stated before these are not limited to racing. It takes a particularly nastiness inside you to be cruel to an animal and this type of person exists in many places in our society that isn't just limited to racing. In a nutshell 'racing' a dog isn't cruel - it's something the dog loves and it's amazing to see how excited they get. The cruelty is associated with living conditions, feeding routines, lack of care and so on, which lets face it this happens in many different places and circumstances. By banning this activity it will force it underground where there will be a real problem. Best heavily license it and conduct spot checks.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

another point to note is that its in the owners interest to keep the dogs in top condition , under fed poorly housed and abused dogs are simply not going to run as fast as ones that are well fed and kenelled , add to that the trackside vet will be examing every dog before is admitted to the back track area's , any sign of mange/ticks/kennel cough etc etc and they aint admitted . Even the people that walk the dogs on the track prior to the race have to be licensed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ThreeMoons

google rspca ,greyhound rescue,greyhound disposal.I have had greyhounds and other rescued dogs all my life,been around a lot ,am getting old.Very emotional defensive responses are not objective takes on reality.Perhaps if you google it you will get a less personal take on it.A simple maths equation ,how many dogs are bred for racing,how many dogs are not selected to race out of those bred,what happens to the surplus and the losers?

i could say EXACTLY the same things about crufts dog show, difference being that on show are mostly inbred unhealthy 'pedigrees' being rated on how fluffy their tails are or other such cosmetic shite.

you keep quoting RSPCA , well all the begging ads i see on tv seem to focus on domestic dogs maltreated being chained in a concrete yard with no shelter /food etc , never seen a greyhound on them though ....

you are online now to access this site what did you find when you googled greyhound disposal? yes crufts is awfull.Cavalier kingcharles spaniels bred with skullsd to small for brain,drives them mad,boxers cant breath with bred shortened snout.Someone i know bought a "posh"very expensive mastiff from a breeder.After much surgery thousands on insurance payouts and many operations on hips and legs,plates pins etc she was put to sleep aged 3 years after what i see as a life of torture.Then this person bought ANOTHER from a breeder ,same issues but less intense aged 2 he now can hardly walk.She wont sue though.I think the vet should have reported the breeder for cruelty.Wherever there is a buck to be made hey.I dont have a "high horse"3 legged lame donkey is closer to the mark.

you are online now to access this site what did you find when you googled greyhound disposal? yes crufts is awfull.Cavalier kingcharles spaniels bred with skullsd to small for brain,drives them mad,boxers cant breath with bred shortened snout.Someone i know bought a "posh"very expensive mastiff from a breeder.After much surgery thousands on insurance payouts and many operations on hips and legs,plates pins etc she was put to sleep aged 3 years after what i see as a life of torture.Then this person bought ANOTHER from a breeder ,same issues but less intense aged 2 he now can hardly walk.She wont sue though.I think the vet should have reported the breeder for cruelty.Wherever there is a buck to be made hey.I dont have a "high horse"3 legged lame donkey is closer to the mark.
    and you choose to pick on racing dog owners ? , you think battersea and all the other pounds are filled with ex racers ? , you are right there are greyhound sanctuarys and charities , our local one we supported heavily with carboot-able stuff from our house clearance business and all towels etc for the dogs ,also re homed 2 from there.

by the way i have no intention of googling anything to do with animal abuse especially related to a breed that i am particularly fond of.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

BTW shroom, i think "groovy" is not the best way to respond to your post above, but its the only choice i have...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Shroom

you could always try bingo.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Well, if it is banned the breed will probably disappear. What will replace a night at the dogs, a bag of chips and a little flutter?

So i had a valid opinion on a thread started by another person,then you for some reason have a hissy fit about my opinion then refuse to look into the unbiased reality that i am on about?Far out.Head in sand warm breeze up ass?

Originally Posted by Shroom
    and you choose to pick on racing dog owners ? , you think battersea and all the other pounds are filled with ex racers ? , you are right there are greyhound sanctuarys and charities , our local one we supported heavily with carboot-able stuff from our house clearance business and all towels etc for the dogs ,also re homed 2 from there.

by the way i have no intention of googling anything to do with animal abuse especially related to a breed that i am particularly fond of.

I didnt think you would stay civil for long , your sort never do .

You say that you had an valid opinion , but as far as i am concerned your opinion is bollocks, thats my valid opinion of your so called valid opinion , shall we carry on ?
    There are arseholes hurting animals in virtually every walk of life , in my experience (google the word 'experience' as you are so fond of google , compare it to 'opinion') greyhounds are looked after as well as any other well loved family pet .

Originally Posted by Shroom
    I didnt think you would stay civil for long , your sort never do .

You say that you had an valid opinion , but as far as i am concerned your opinion is bollocks, thats my valid opinion of your so called valid opinion , shall we carry on ?
    There are arseholes hurting animals in virtually every walk of life , in my experience (google the word 'experience' as you are so fond of google , compare it to 'opinion') greyhounds are looked after as well as any other well loved family pet .

Heavenly Creature
    For the record, I think the cruelty associated with breeding pedigree dogs should be stopped.
    Greyhound racing is exclusively for fun and on a far larger scale than even the most intensive breeding.
    There must be money to be made, even if some of the good breeders don't see it. The greyhound racing business is there because punters are willing to pay to watch it and bet on it. The dogs are just a commodity and some a by product.
    At lest pedigree (and designer mongrels) mostly get to good homes.
    It's quite clear to me racing industry is far more wasteful of dog's lives, and wouldn't be missed.
    There are still Otter Hounds and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, yes, less now than there was when it was legal to hunt otters and bait bulls, but they are still here. There is no reason the Greyhound won't survive too, if racing became illegal. It's just less will be born, and less will be disposed of.

dogs would still be born and they will still want to run , owners will get joy from seeing the dog run , other owners will be encountered and the dogs run together, its what they love to do , this progresses from letting em chase each other to chasing a pre captured rabbit or other hapless creature and maybe wagering a pint or 3 on the outcome.... , all you will do by banning the sport is revert it to above scenario and send the whole thing back to medieval values , at least it is licensed and controlled as it stands .

Good come back!

Heavenly Creature
    It won't be on the industrial scale it is now though. Very few are going to keep a kennel of maybe a hundred dogs going for the sake of winning a pint or three.
    Yes, the caring breeders will keep the dogs they have until they die, but economics will dictate they don't breed as intensively.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Tell u something, this is a complicated debate, both sides have been quite passionate, wot is the answer to this? I dunno, but never been to the races myself but would not want people to mistreat any animals.

Heavenly Creature
    I can live with hundreds of dogs not ever being born, if it means a few dogs aren't thrown onto a motorway.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Rick69

The answer..the root of all evil, damm money really it is.In our uk society your poleaxed without it,even free roamers need transport of some kind and a van to shelter you from the uk weather,needs oil tyres etc.Apart from money,there are people who are so inadequate that to power up over the less strong gives them a buzz.Throughout many threads on this site,animal welfare, peoples storys of abuse, primarily from when they were disempowered and/or small,the same cruelty is seen, to different persons and in different guises, but cruelty in the extreme nonetheless.Deliberate cruelty carried out with fully aware knowledge of what they are doing and the effect it is having.All i hope to do is draw attention to facts,that i myself have experienced or/and are from credible sources.I do not want to horrify others,or upset others just shine a light on the reality of what i know to be true.The story of the chickens mass fast reared,lab animals our drugs and toiletries are tested on,how the leather on our boots gets from cow to our feet.As for greyhounds,the general rescue shelters are mainly full of staffies no one will ever take home,but there are very many more greyhounds needing homes.Now its the turn of "handbag dogs"out of fashion into rescue.I happen to adore greyhounds because out of all the breeds i have had from rescue they are such spiritual sensitive beasties,with such an ethereal quality at times.We go for "greyhound gatherings" just to be together in mutual admiration,
    up to 300 and they all glide along silently mainly,just being.Get half that many labs and it would be chaos!Gen up on all the facts and come to your own conclusions.
    x

Originally Posted by ayami
    Tell u something, this is a complicated debate, both sides have been quite passionate, wot is the answer to this? I dunno, but never been to the races myself but would not want people to mistreat any animals.