THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Greyhound racing banned in NSW.

Sex
    Male

Greyhound racing banned in NSW.

I think we would all agree that Greyhound racing is an activity for morons. In NSW the Liberal (conservative) State Government has now banned greyhound racing and the legislation was opposed by Labor.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Duckman
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I think we would all agree that Greyhound racing is an activity for morons.
    I thought it was an activity for racing dogs .............

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Actually, moron racing. That's a good idea!

Banning greyhound racing, that's another good idea. In the short term I worry it will mean the end for many healthy dogs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ThreeMoons

Way past the outer rings Change's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Greyhound racing is not an activity for morons. Maltreating dogs is an activity for morons.

Nothing wrong with greyhound racing itself. Perfectly healthy life for a dog.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Shroom, Sootyfoot

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    greyhound racing was always the sport of the working class, hence "going to the dogs" of a Friday night.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Change
    Greyhound racing is not an activity for morons. Maltreating dogs is an activity for morons.

Nothing wrong with greyhound racing itself. Perfectly healthy life for a dog.
    It's a very short working life though. Even the best don't get past five on the track. Greyhounds live to over fourteen.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Fire-Tree, Rick69, treeboy, wurzel

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Well, if it is banned the breed will probably disappear. What will replace a night at the dogs, a bag of chips and a little flutter?

Sex
    Male
    The breed won't disappear they are used for hunting and crossing with others to create a lurcher as you are probably well aware, but even if it did cease it is better that for the thousands of individual dogs that have a life of misery after the track days are over, than humans being upset because they can't have a beer and a bit of scran trying to win a few bob, you could always come up with something else to pass the time.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Fire-Tree, FriedOnion, Rick69, treeboy

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by wurzel
    The breed won't disappear they are used for hunting and crossing with others to create a lurcher
    exactly my point. They would disappear into the lurcher population, not a bad outcome IMO.
    you could always come up with something else to pass the time.
    I'm trying to give it up, dammit!
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    Honiton is full of greyhounds, just walk down the high street and you'll see loads, I wonder if there is a greyhound rescue place near there? or maybe greyhounds are just "in" at the moment.

This website

Says approx 8000 dogs retire every year and they have rehomed over 75,000 dogs since they've been in business, and that's just the uk.

What about the dogs that don't make it as far as the track...how many are there and where do they go?

I don't think we should be breeding animals for sport. Then again I don't agree with GM dogs to fit into breed specifications, the concept of 'pets' (even though, hypocritically, I'd love to have a companion animal) and many other things that I generally keep to myself because no one wants to hear it and I just alienate myself from the majority of the populous.

I don't agree that the breed would disappear, how many breeds do we have without using them for sport? People still have ridgebacks and they're not hunting lions.

Just because 'we' have always done something doesn't make it right.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, FriedOnion, treeboy

Sex
    Male
    I have more than a little knowledge of the whole industry that stems from my mother running off to live with a guy that owned/trained and kenneled racing dogs when I was about 7 years old, she lived with him for next 30 odd years in a large detached house , the rear garden of which was almost totally block built kennels and 4 small paddocks that were used throughout the day to exercise the dogs on a rota until evening time when they went for either a few miles walk on a lease or occasionally taken to a fairly remote field to run wild.
    The dogs there were a mix of stepfathers own racers (usually about 4 or 5),dogs being kenneled for other owners (maybe a dozen or so as the stadium was literally a 3 minute walk away) and the rest were retired either through being too old or to slow or sometimes just too unpredictable , ie could sometimes leap out the trap and beat anything with 4 legs and sometimes just sit there licking its nuts as the gate opened ...... ALL of the dogs were treated with the same high level of respect , care and comfort . My Ma would be up at 5am EVERY morning 365 days a year in all weathers handing out their breakfast bowls (cabbage,dry mix soaked in warm water and minced boiled horse meat )and warm milk with honey,they always got a digestive biscuit when finished ,sometimes the trainers would wonder why the dogs were heavier than they would like , Ma cared more for the hounds than their trainers .
    One dog sticks in my mind , kennel name was Benjie and one evning on the track he went down on a corner badly breaking his front leg , officials and stadium vet wanted him put down track side , my mum was having none if it 'I have seen lots of dogs with 3 legs' , sure enough the leg was amputated at the shoulder and they both spent a horrendous few weeks with mum sleeping in the kennel alongside him most nights as the bleeding was heavy but random , Benjie recovered and lived another 8 years or so as a family pet, Iused to walk him loads when he only had the 3 legs but he did still want to go fast so i would run with him then suddenly his one front leg would let him down (literally let him down on his chin) so he had a constant road rash from that but his smiling face when the lead came out was priceless , he would actually put his remaining front paw on my shoulder when i reached for the lead

So to conclude, there are nasty peeps in every aspect of animal 'ownership' but there are also some very caring ,sensitive and sensible peeps and its NO different in greyhound racing.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    It's a very short working life though. Even the best don't get past five on the track. Greyhounds live to over fourteen.
    that is true enough but a lot do go on to become much loved family pets and for good reason , they are great dogs , you have to think that some puppies bought at crimbo as a pet dont make it past 5 months before they make it to the dog pound/motorway or the bottom of the canal ...............................
    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I would not for a minute suggest all trainers dump their dogs on the nearest motorway or knock them on the head when they reach four.
    The kind of people that do that would be off in a heartbeat if racing became illegal. That's what it's all about.
    Like so many things, it's the few that spoils it for the many.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    greyhounds make excellent pets, my late MIL had one for years, watching him "work" a hedge was priceless.
    they don't need lots of exercise contrary to popular belief, they are quite happy curled up on the settee.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Shroom

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Why did it get banned in NSW? Do the same arguments apply here?

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    My uncle owned greyhounds for racing and they retired gracefully as pets. I'm a big animal lover and have a lot of rescue animals but I still enjoyed the track as a kid. Greyhounds are incredibly lazy dogs and really don't like exercise for long periods of time...hence a mad sprint round the track really suits them. I had a saluki that was exactly the same and now I have a podenco (traditionally used for hunting in Spain). Both breeds super lazy and greedy but a mad 5 mins of craziness seems to go down well. I think it's like anything, some people are responsible and some are not.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Shroom

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Greyhounds. 30 mph couch potatoes.
    The following users think this post is groovy: stinkypete1

Sex
    Male
    my Mums last dog was a retired racer named JJ, said dog was laid on the floor once and Earl was loose in da hoose , i put a plate with some sponge cake on the floor next to JJ Earl swooped and they did sharing cake for a while , was quite surreal seeing a big dog doing that lift a head a bit to eat thing and a birdy pecking like mad .....then JJ made the effort to lift his head proper and pick the final big piece of cake , E arl was having none of that and promply stuck HIS WHOLE HEAD in to JJ's mouth to retrieve it , dog just opened his jaws and let him get on ..................
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow, Rick69, wobblyjim

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Why did it get banned in NSW? Do the same arguments apply here?
    A special commission of inquiry found overwhelming evidence of horrific animal cruelty, including mass greyhound killings (68,000 in 12 months) and using live bait. Obviously it's not everyone but that is an awful lot of dogs...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Duckman, stinkypete1

Sex
    Female
    Good news hopefully other places will follow suit. Animals being used and abused for our entertainment needs to be a thing of the past ..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Duckman, frame69, stinkypete1

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Good news hopefully other places will follow suit. Animals being used and abused for our entertainment needs to be a thing of the past ..
    Blimey, better not mention that film I watched last night, the things they did to that goat...

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    [QUOTE=Treemeister;1494295]A special commission of inquiry found overwhelming evidence of horrific animal cruelty, including mass greyhound killings (68,000 in 12 months) and using live bait. Obviously it's not everyone but that is an awful lot of dogs...[/

While cruelty exists in many shapes, forms and places my experience of 'special commissions' is that they produce the results that the people funding them want to put forward. The other thing, is that animal cruetly is the topic that really gets to people (me included!) yet why don't we feel the same outrage when we see people (especially children) locked in entournment camps and suffering horrific conditions?
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by ayami
    Blimey, better not mention that film I watched last night, the things they did to that goat...
    was it perchance ' revenge of billy the kid' ?