THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Badger cull

Badger cull

As some may know the badger cull has started again and has been extended this year and is now happening in ten areas in Gloucestershire, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Herefordshire. They plan to kill a minimum of 10,000 badgers over the next 6 weeks or so and remove at least 70% of the population in these areas.

If you disagree with the governments policy and want to save some of these badgers then there`s loads of ways you can help and lots of different groups that desperately need you. Will put some links below..the league against cruel sports page has lots of links to the different groups and info about the cull itself..

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

we have been very involved with this over the last few years but have moved far away from zones which is awful as we know whats going on and how, but feel powerless up here.Before dawn and after is when we had very little support and the shooters knew it.some badgers were left in traps for many hours until being shot.The violence towards us peaceful one by guns and hangers on was appalling.Even if people dont want aggravation ,to just be in the area driving about reporting "events"is helpful and a carload of "muddled lost" persons just cruising about slow fed speed round the lanes.I dont think most folk know the cruelty and what is really going on in the zones.i am sat here trying not to weep for the setts we helped over the last years.Also if anyone at all can get to zones please gen up on maps,you must know where you are going,have a recording device of some kind on you at ALL times and dont go alone.Out of zone brock are not safe either.Guns get them where they can.All defra want is a dead badger count.Origins are rarely checked if ever.Somewhere to stay is there if you ask the organisers,all you need is a small tent and sleeping bag,warmth waterproof clothes,tough boots and a serious intent.love and blessings to all in the field tonight.x
    The following users think this post is groovy: emmadilemma

lone wolf survivalist.
    i'd just like to say, I don't think we need a badger cull, I see more than enough dead badgers on the roads of the south west, I saw another one this morning.

Dead badgers on road get there in several ways.possibly... hit by a vehicle and fatally injured....possibly shot and dumped...possibly baited and dumped.Dead badgers vanishing off a road may have been...taken sensibly by welsh authoritys for Btb testing...be put on the verge by compassionare persons...in cull areas most likely taken to be in the body count for the Defra bounty if there is still a payment per corpse..None of these possibilitys is fiction.All of these possibiltys have been documented.

i will get a good telling off soon as this is barred as a discussion zone.Sorry.I am new and a very sorry wretch.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by cricket
    Dead badgers on road get there in several ways.possibly... hit by a vehicle and fatally injured....possibly shot and dumped...possibly baited and dumped.Dead badgers vanishing off a road may have been...taken sensibly by welsh authoritys for Btb testing...be put on the verge by compassionare persons...in cull areas most likely taken to be in the body count for the Defra bounty if there is still a payment per corpse..None of these possibilitys is fiction.All of these possibiltys have been documented.
    all the dead badgers I see are "roadkill", and there is a lot of them.

Well, well, well!

Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

lone wolf survivalist.
    the hounds got TB because they were fed meat infected with TB, known as "deadstock". I think its only hoofed animals that get "Bovine" TB, cows, deer etc, badgers don't suffer from it they just carry it.

When i lived in west Wales 30+ yesrs ago the cattle had TB spreading through herds then.Non of the local badgers had TB..The nearest badgers tested positive for TB were in England so it was obvious then there was another mechanism of spread.Poor bio-security the most likely one...apart from the movements of livestock themselves,theres the movement of contractors on and off farms some of whom travel to several farms across the country in one day.Farm deliveries/collections.Cattle scanning,vets,ministry inspectors,hunting,theyre all sources of potential spread but the industry has a totally blinkered view of the world and its got to be badgers-cant be anything else.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 13-03--2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, Offgrid hero

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    When i lived in west Wales 30+ yesrs ago the cattle had TB spreading through herds then.Non of the local badgers had TB..The nearest badgers tested positive for TB were in England so it was obvious then there was another mechanism of spread.Poor bio-security the most likely one...apart from the movements of livestock themselves,theres the movement of contractors on and off farms some of whom travel to several farms across the country in one day.Farm deliveries/collections.Cattle scanning,vets,ministry inspectors,hunting,theyre all sources of potential spread but the industry has a totally blinkered view of the world and its got to be badgers-cant be anything else.
    for once I agree with you there.

Well.it seems rather stupid in my view that all the other serious viral infections the industry has like swine fever,foot and mouth,mad cow,avian flu,blue tongue and Bovine TB itself warrants immediate mandatory bio-security on farms and a halt of movement of stock...therefore they recognise that spread occurs via livestock movements and people coming and going on and off farms,but for some inexplicable unscientific reason in the case of TB its badgers spreading it.
    So once all the badgers are eradicated and its still spreading what do they turn to for an excuse then ? foxes ? walkers? domestic pets ?of course it will be anything but their own lax operating methods.But the ministry never comes down on them and their operations unless theres an outbreak.Its all the small hobby farmers and poultry keepers they come down on whose livestock never moves and no contractors visit and who have to jump through hoops just to have a couple of sheep or pigs.
    Like i said -blinkered.
    The worst part is it can be controlled by vaccine but they wont allow it because it will" damage the industry" -duh!
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 13-03--2017 at 02:28 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Badgers are a protected species. The cull is nothing to do with preventing the spread of BTB, and everything to do with finding ways to kill protected animals. It's a precedent. Kill badgers legally for this flimsy excuse, then you can start hunting whatever you like, no matter the animal's legal standing, on the grounds of farming interests.

The upper classes are into killing wildlife in a big, way; especially the wildlife viewed as competing with their own bloodthirsty interests.

In shooting country you only have to look at the deliberate killing of all predators and raptors, which goes on unpunished, in spite of mounting evidence that it is the employees of the shooting fraternity who do the killing. Just read through this wordpress site, if you doubt that killing any animal, no matter how heavily protected, is anything other than tacitly accepted.

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Yes I know,ivebeen round the farming community and on landed estates most of my life to know what theyre about and why i dont take much notice of them.Theres a few good landowners and farmers who manage their land for the good of themselves and wildlife but theyre in a minority.Theres plenty of plain ignorant ones who wont listen to anyone but most are ruled purely by mercenary instincts and the power of the hunting/shooting lobby.As you say they just want the right to kill anything as 'sport' or because of their perception it conflicts with their commercial interests.Theyll use any PR excuse to push their agenda..in this case its badgers.If they convinced the public that foxes spread disease theyd have a field day killing them all.

Aologies to mods,just noticed this is in the protests thread.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 13-03--2017 at 03:13 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by hagrid
    . I think its only hoofed animals that get "Bovine" TB, cows, deer etc, badgers don't suffer from it they just carry it.
    Not true cats can catch the m bovis strain of Tb..

Deer can carry TB as well, got warned off collecting carcasses from the local forest. So if they can get it what's to stop foxes getting it from eating road kill deer.

Wikipedia, could be crap but.......
    Bovine TB is a chronic infectious disease which affects a broad range of mammalian hosts, including humans,
    , wild
    (
    ) and
    (
    and
    ); it rarely affects
    or

The disease can be transmitted in several ways; for example, it can be spread in exhaled air, sputum, urine, faeces and pus, so the disease can be transmitted by direct contact, contact with the excreta of an infected animal, or inhalation of aerosols, depending on the species involved.
    Not all who wander are lost

lone wolf survivalist.
    i'm sorry but I see prejudice rearing its ugly head.

Originally Posted by hagrid
    i'm sorry but I see prejudice rearing its ugly head.
    Prejudice against who or what?

lone wolf survivalist.
    country folk/ farmers/ land owners.

I had a dairy farmer tell me once that the main problem with badgers (he has a set on his land) is that their tunnels can be shallow enough that if a cow steps above them its liable to collapse usually breaking the beasts leg.

lone wolf survivalist.
    I suppose that's possible but most I've seen are tunnelled into a field bank not in the open field. there were some in Glastonbury that were big enough for kids to hide in.

this was a place called 'wood farm' , the sett was in the copse near the woods but the tunnels and chambers extend into one of the fields that is grazed , I suppose rabbits , hares, and even moles could cause the same problem ?

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Shroom
    this was a place called 'wood farm' , the sett was in the copse near the woods but the tunnels and chambers extend into one of the fields that is grazed , I suppose rabbits , hares, and even moles could cause the same problem ?
    yes I agree, moles seem to be especially prolific this year, loads about.