THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Dead Laptop batteries, 200 plus packs needed

Dead Laptop batteries, 200 plus packs needed

Hi, I am building a DIY power wall and am in need of mountain of dead laptop batteries

Must be li-ion chemistry though as I am after the 18650 cells.

What's a power wall?

Sorry, solar storage battery, after tesla introduced one they tend to get called power walls.

Basically pulls the packs apart, split the cells, cycle and check them individually, bin the dead cells, put to onside the high performing cells for an electric vehicle, weld the rest up into a pack as a trial.

Cheapest source of the cells are dead laptops. New cells are 3 euro each, I will eventually need 3000 of them. Yeah, 3000 in ideally checked cells. But I will start small and add capacity over time.

Anyone who fixes or works on laptops tend to end up with lots of battery packs.

Problem LV is how to get them to you.

The post (and couriers) will only ship them if they are IN the device they power.

Apparently they spontaneously combust and poison couriers, or something. So the international people put them on the list of banned items.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who bought a battery on eBay, it arrived in the post and a month later when I tried to sell it on, because it didn't fit the laptop after all, the post office seized and destroyed my parcel for having prohibited items.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amazon just got fined 65,000 (I think) for sending li-ion batteries by air-freight. Turns out they have been doing so for a long time.
    I agree postage will be a problem. Most of us have a few dead laptop batteries laying about. I have a couple and I have 5 good/used ones too. I was going to advertise those on eBay as spares.

I've not looked or seen inside a laptop battery before.

I learned a neat survival/bushcraft fire starting trick with a unwanted phone battery though, off of Bear Grylls.

Heavenly Creature
    Yes, one of my old bosses in the computer trade - that tight barsteward - used to make one good battery from a few duff ones, stick 'em in a s/h laptop for sale. Not good practice...

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sounds cool LV, I've watched vids before & it looks straight forward. Is this for storage or to power an electric vehicle? Shows us some pics once you get progress.

Heavenly Creature

These are on Gumtree in London. No idea how to get them to you though

Good to make use of an otherwise wasted resource.
    Firealarm -telephone cell towers to name but a few have batteries that need to be changed long before they
    reach the end of their actual service life.

The cell tower batteries are popular in the US in offgrid solar setups as they are compact and designed to deliver quite a high load when the mains to the cell tower fails.

Ah, forgot about this, I have a few dozen packs picked up from local computer repair places, they have been throwing them away. Still small quantities at the moment.

I have still yet to build a battery tester that does more than one at once. Otherwise it takes forever.

My CNC mk2 is about done, just waiting on some parts, then I will get onto this project. Spring is coming, my workshop has no heating, and as it has no insulating no is 6 meters high it is impossible to heat anyway. Hard working in minus 3 or 4 weather and the batteries don't like it either.

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    Ah, forgot about this, I have a few dozen packs picked up from local computer repair places, they have been throwing them away. Still small quantities at the moment.

I have still yet to build a battery tester that does more than one at once. Otherwise it takes forever.

My CNC mk2 is about done, just waiting on some parts, then I will get onto this project. Spring is coming, my workshop has no heating, and as it has no insulating no is 6 meters high it is impossible to heat anyway. Hard working in minus 3 or 4 weather and the batteries don't like it either.
    Yep that is a job for spring - testing would be iffy too if the batteries are close to their working temperature tolerance.

Turning On

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    Hi, I am building a DIY power wall and am in need of mountain of dead laptop batteries

Must be li-ion chemistry though as I am after the 18650 cells.
    how is it going? did you work out how to get them posted to you? Have you tried freecycle etc? good luck

Originally Posted by Ecogirl
    how is it going? did you work out how to get them posted to you? Have you tried freecycle etc? good luck
    Still collecting, some local computer repair shops keep them aside for me, maybe 3 packs a week. I am doing up the truck so this is way low priority for the moment.