THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Vegan to Vegetarian

Vegan to Vegetarian

Hi I am new here

Just stumbled across this forum as I typed in vegan to vegetarian in Google and it brought me here

I have been a meat eater/dairy eater all my life but last August I decided to go vegetarian and then a month later I turned vegan. Radical change I know but I have made the decision now to start stepping away from veganism and going back to being vegetarian.

I'm not suddenly going out buying and consuming cheese, eggs and milk though, but I am gradually eating products that do contain milk.

Has anyone else made the change such as this ? I feel like I have to justify myself more than ever now, I shouldn't have to right ?

Be interested to hear anyone else's opinion.

Thanks

Sarah

Transcending
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah)1973 View Post
    Hi I am new here

Just stumbled across this forum as I typed in vegan to vegetarian in Google and it brought me here

I have been a meat eater/dairy eater all my life but last August I decided to go vegetarian and then a month later I turned vegan. Radical change I know but I have made the decision now to start stepping away from veganism and going back to being vegetarian.

I'm not suddenly going out buying and consuming cheese, eggs and milk though, but I am gradually eating products that do contain milk.

Has anyone else made the change such as this ? I feel like I have to justify myself more than ever now, I shouldn't have to right ?

Be interested to hear anyone else's opinion.

Thanks

Sarah

Welcome I'm not in the same situation as you but I don't think anyone should have to justify the decisions they make with regard to things like their diet. It's your business and no-one else's. I've tried going vegan numerous times but have always slipped back a bit. I've never eaten a lot of meat anyway so it was only chicken and fish that I cut out when I went veggie but to be honest I didn't think of myself as a vegetarian, I just didn't eat meat anymore, if that makes sense? Recently I've had a couple of times when I've really felt I needed some meat or fish so I have had some. I don't know with me if I have some vitamin deficiencies that make me crave things at certain times but I do believe in listening to your body so that's what I've been doing.

So no, I don't think you need to justify anything you're doing, it's your business and nothing to do with anyone else
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Change is life, it's fine.

I turned vegan at 17 and stayed a vegan for 7 years, then at age 24 my mother in law offered me some Baileys at Christmas (milk in it) and I just didn't feel like saying no that day, and decided on the spot to become a vegetarian. I was then remaining a vegetarian for approx 4 years.

When I got pregnant with my daughter at age 28 the midwife seemed keen for me to eat fish as it was good for the pregnancy she advised, and wanting to be a good parent I started eating fish. I intended it for the pregnancy only, however did not want to stop afterwards and have been a Piscetarian (or however it's spelled) every since (I'm now 43). I think part of the reason I carried on is because I had a bad knee cartilage issue for many years and it really massively improved when I started eating fish (oils).

I'll probably stay this way, but who knows, maybe one day I'll go back to vegetarianism. As I said, change is a part of life, and change is fine.

And as has been said, you have no need to justify your choices, you simply do as you please in life and make the decisions you feel are best.

Amanda

I agree with all of the above, the only person you have to justify to is yourself. I've been vegetarian for about 25 years and was vegan for only one year of that. I feel guilty for eating dairy as I do believe it's as bad as eating meat...probably worse because it goes on for year after year for those poor animals...and yet I still have cheese. I feel really shitty about it but don't seem to be able to stop myself.

I do some good, I do some bad.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treemeister View Post
    the only person you have to justify to is yourself.
    True in an everyday sense, but once we realise or accept the truth about dairy, then surely we have to think of the victims and not make it about ourselves or our convenience?
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    True in an everyday sense, but once we realise or accept the truth about dairy, then surely we have to think of the victims and not make it about ourselves or our convenience?
    To justify myself (!!)...I turn a blind eye to victims all the time, if I didn't i wouldn't be able to function. I do what I can and then I have to live with myself.

Saying that you only have to justify to yourself is perhaps just another way of salving my conscience because it's easier for me. I can shrug and say, 'I'm a hypocrite' as if that puts a blanket excuse over everything. I'm 98% vegan, isn't that enough? I know it isn't, but I live with me, my head and my heart, and so I can only justify to myself and come to my own conclusion about what I will and won't consume. I choose to live with the guilt.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger, Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by vlahakisa View Post
    I turned vegan at 17 and stayed a vegan for 7 years, then at age 24 my mother in law offered me some Baileys at Christmas (milk in it) and I just didn't feel like saying no that day, and decided on the spot to become a vegetarian. I was then remaining a vegetarian for approx 4 years.
    You might be interested to know that Baileys do a vegan version made with almond milk now!

To the OP, do as you feel you want to do - contrary to popular belief most veggies/vegans aren't judgemental. I'm halfway to being vegan, I don't use much dairy but still eat eggs, and I don't get hung up about reading every label on food packaging. So long as you're happy with what you're doing, so be it
    Never Knowingly Understood

As a long time vegetarian (25+ years), I agree we should be what we want to be/eat and that, for me, raises queries.

First up, we have omnivore's teeth and so are, as I understand it, designed to eat anything that crosses our table? However, for reasons I won't go into here, I am a vegetarian and so avoid eating anything that has a face!

Second point, I suspect that the reason I remain a veggie is that I can't ever be sure of the way that any meat was produced because old-fashioned farming, with no hormones, chemicals and antibiotics seems impossible to find and I suspect I couldn't afford it even if I could find it. The reason I say this is that I eat a large number of meat substitutes and enjoy their taste/texture as they remind me of meat from my dim and distant past. Fish will always remain off my menu!

My third point and the reason for this post is that I don't understand why vegans don't ever eat eggs or honey or dairy. Surely, if the eggs are supplied by someone who keeps a few chickens in their backyard there is no exploitation of the chickens? Ditto if the milk/dairy comes from a farmer who keeps cows without hormones and without forcing them to be continually pregnant in order to produce milk. Not sure whether this can be said about wild bees or the apiarist who keeps a couple of skeps?

If there are any vegans who are passing, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain this to me please?
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muninn View Post
    You might be interested to know that Baileys do a vegan version made with almond milk now!
    Sadly it's not vegan - they added honey to it but everyone overlooked this until it was actually released on the market.