THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Hunted"

lone wolf survivalist.

"Hunted"

Thursday's Channel 4, 9PM.
    second episode of the new series.
    anyone watching it? what do you think?
    from a purely survival angle I can think of 3 things, but i'd like to hear the general consensus before I put in my 4P worth.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Watched some of the first series, was OK , but they are carting a camera crew around ? Of course if there was no camera crew , and you had half a brain cell , I don't think it would be an impossible .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

lone wolf survivalist.
    I think they've changed the rules for the second series, and all the participants started from a central point, a warehouse in Birmingham, not from their homes.

I enjoy it as a piece of entertainment but it is all a set up because people would be a lot more serious about not getting caught if there was a hundred grand at stake.

These people have gone through application and selection so they must know well in advance that they are going to do the show. They would have time to place caches around the area and get all there gear sorted and stowed in different places. First thing I would do is post my phone to a friend miles away with a note to say "use occasionally and then pass on to next in list". Then I would just disappear and pretty much stay put for a month. i would not be contactable and I would not contact anyone in that month.

But that would not make very good TV

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: 4scoreand20, Daisysmum

I love it!! I want to apply. I'd hide in my attic

Posted via the UKHIPPY Tapatalk Mobile App

lone wolf survivalist.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I love it!! I want to apply. I'd hide in my attic

your home is the first place they search.

lone wolf survivalist.
    anybody got any thoughts as to where the contestants are going wrong? why it is they get caught?

Originally Posted by hagrid
    anybody got any thoughts as to where the contestants are going wrong? why it is they get caught?
    Using a phone or being around people they know and staying in areas where they are friends with people.

Originally Posted by hagrid
    your home is the first place they search.
    yes but not every day :/

I think the main reason is it is a scripted set up programme designed to condition the population to think that they cannot get away with anything without the government knowing about it.
    Secondly the contestants are chosen for their flaws and r their entertainment value.
    If you want to talk about what they should be doing to not be found I would say don't go into towns, throw your mobile, don't discuss anything with anyone before or during your time on the run, don't contact your family or friends, keep travel to a minimum, change your appearance, blend in(difficult to do when you have a film crew following you) so don't go running around looking suspicious with a huge rucksack on your back.
    Like I said before. Stow your gear in several caches spread across an area of countryside you know well. Find several locations where you can wild camp where you are unlikely to be discovered but if you are discovered just look like a homeless guy. Stay put unless you position is compromised.
    Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Muninn

lone wolf survivalist.
    okay, here's my take on it:
    first-
    1. leave the phone at home, if you cant take part without phoning home then you wont last long, TPTB can plot your location from your phone, same with credit and debit cards.
    2. get off the roads!!! the "hunters" are all in cars so they have to use roads, travel by cycle paths, green lanes, bridle paths, droves and public footpaths. you can use electric pylons, rivers and railway lines to navigate your route, stay off the skyline.
    3. trust no one. once they introduce the reward for "information received" no one is your friend. say little, don't give out information, and move on rapidly.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer

Good point about the cars Hagrid.

Try to be as far away from roads and drivable tracks as possible. They don't have time to be walking for miles. Another idea may be to be somewhere where you know there is no phone signal. They will find it difficult to coordinate their efforts if they don't have phone contact and the public will not be able to report you straight away without a signal.

Paul
    PⒶUL

lone wolf survivalist.
    I keep shouting at the screen " get off the bloody road!!" when you see them panicking and running along a road with their packs on their backs, that the first thing they should do, once they've got out of the urban centre, not the last.
    as for no phone signal, that'll be The Lizard then!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer

I missed the 1st series.I can see your point about staying off roads etc,but I guess it would take too long for contestants to gain some distance by just walking.Taking a train or bus would probably create too much attention with the camera crew filming.Must be quite nerve racking though at times!
    If you discovered someone from the show on "the run"would you grass them up for money?

lone wolf survivalist.
    most of them eventually take to the countryside and wild camp or take to camping sites or caravan sites, the ones that last that long that is.
    isn't it better to take to the countryside and travel slowly off road than to take to public transport or asking some lorry driver for a lift?
    that what I would do, at least in the countryside you've got a fair chance of spotting a stalker, if your keeping your wits about you, but on the roads they are on top of you before you know it.
    stay off the phone, in fact don't take it with you, and stay out of towns and places with cctv, small village shops probably wont have cctv, if they have security camera's they will be on closed circuit not linked up to the national system.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I would steer clear of too smaller village shops , they know all their customers and a hub off gossip , if you felt the need for essential supplies I would look for small towns as they see more traffic . Also areas where you do not stand out like a sore thumb with a back pack (though some of previous contestants stand out from there sheer clueless ness !) ie,Snowdoni, Lake District etc, these sought of places always have a lot of new faces found the place and a good network of paths/ and freedom to wander of paths with out arousing suspicion .

Do they have an extraction point Like on last seasons where they had to reach that air strip n get on plane ?
    If not I could disappear for ages on the land

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes I think there is an end point, but that hasn't as yet been mentioned as its only about half way through the series.

It would be better without one

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes, just lie low for the 28 days. I would make my way back to the area I know and then just lie low.

Me too that would be my plan, I would have stashed things all over so I could travel light as well

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes, most of the packs they carry seem to be huge, cut the load down as much as possible, carry a tarp instead of a tent, carry dehydrated food instead of tins, carry a small backpacking gaz stove or a homemade hobo stove. one guy on the last series had to dump half his gear because it was so heavy he couldn't carry it all.

Yeah just the basics I'd try to live off the land as much as possible but have food staches all over just in case

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes, however controlling those "caches" is the problem, if they aren't somewhere you can control who comes and who goes you may find them missing when you most need them.