THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes 814 advice

Tuning In

Mercedes 814 advice

I'm looking at buying an 814 but there's so little choice available. I've been offered one for 2000 but it has 170k on the clock and plenty of sill and bodywork rust. It's been part of a fleet though so had 6 week checks etc and I've seen proof of this. I'm thinking the money I save buying it will repair the rust? Good idea or bad?

814d (Vario) or 814 Tilt cab?
    I've owned and worked on a few.

i think wizard one love has had a lot of experience with these also

Tuning In
    The Vario Subgenre. I've sourced a place to store it for 30 a month while I work on it.

Tuning In
    ah the 814D, most of the ones I have seen converted are the town bus versions, is it a straight through van or bus body. dont worry about the 170 k on the clock, thats nothing, i would worry about the plenty of sill and body work rust as you describe it, is it shot though with holes everywhere or is it in patches with spreading surface rust, once they start going on these, its a bastard of a job to stop it unless you are prepared to do a thorough plating and or replacing all rusted parts. whats it like round the back door upright pillars, driver/passenger steps, windscreen surround and bulk head,
    if you have the kit and can do it yourself, then it doesnt have to be expensive, just time consuming. 2,000, i'd be wanting to haggle a bit if it needs a lot of body work your not far away, maybe post a pic or three of the worst bits if your unsure how to tackle them.

I live in an 814 tilt cab with an old skool furniture removals body, is the vario your looking at got the pre year 2000 om602 5 pot diesel or the later 4 pot turbo, these have had a few different engines in over the years, the mechanicicals are generally very good but the body work on later mercs are a shambles once they start going and left un-managed

Year is kind of important on various/814d types. I'd consider getting the minibus variety, they are often cheaper and especially Alexander and Plaxton build in Aluminium. Definitely a winner for rot there. Also worth looking at are 709d varieties, the bus built ones are roughly the size of the 814d panel but they are usually cheaper. Less powerful engines and no full air brakes but still enough torque to tow a 30foot Roma through north Wales. Not that I'd recommend that.
    My 709 has more than half a million miles on the clock but still runs fine by the way. Also the only steel parts on mine are the chassis, the front wheel arches and the bonnet and grill. All the wings and bodywork is aluminium and fibreglass.

Yours sounds very nice SG, pics please? Toby Trux.

I'll take some once I tidied a bit. There is also some pictures somewhere on this forum as I offered it for sale/swapsies here once.

Oh yes I remember ! I liked the look of her then ! Possibly still on the bizarre bazare, I'll have a look. I'm not after it mind, just love them!
    The following users think this post is groovy: scargo

Yes, she's still there. If she were for sale, what would your asking price be, perchance? And whereabouts are you, ish of course!

Depends a bit who too. 3500ish to a traveller type+ a bit extra for the burner with a years ticket on her. She's got a big solar rig etc. Southwest ish. Lost the 4 passenger seats in the back and replaced with extra storage mind(a wardrobe and a booze cupboard to be specific) Wouldn't be to difficult to undo though.

Tuning In
    Thanks for the replies! I haven't been to see it yet as its 3 hours away, I'm heading up there Friday afternoon. I have my heart set on a panel van version really.

Not sure if the link will work but here it is. What you think?
    My mate can weld and has access to works Lorry garage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3319849512...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tuning In
    just looked at the van in the link, thats not bad at all, the rust spots in the pics are not at all frightening, she's quite tidy, far from being a rust bucket, well worth sorting that bit out, its just the odd bit really, apart from round wheel arch, but that's a doodle to do. As it's been on 'o' licence, it will have been maintained to the hilt mechanically, which is a big bonus, definitely worth checking it out.

Tuning In
    That's really reassuring to hear, Thankyou! So the main bits to look out for are rust around the rear door pillars and the windscreen/scuttle?

Tuning In
    yes, a good look round those parts are what gets them, and i cant remember if these are independant chasis or not, if not, the out riggers which main support brackets need looking at for holes around the fixing points, they guy should point them out if you ask if need to. smae again, as its been on o licence, ministry will fail it if there's holes and weak metal around these points so they will have had to have been done. looking at the pics, the windscreen surround looks in damn fine fettle, especially being white, you cant hide signs of rust, its stains like buggery as you can see on what is there in the pics if the exhaust is clean running as in no smoke on start up, warming up then warm then its a fair candidate to be a good van. good luck

Tuning In
    Thanks for that. Have you any idea what engine this year 814 will be running?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Butch View Post
    Thanks for that. Have you any idea what engine this year 814 will be running?
    4.2D 4 cylinder rough guess 19-22mpg

probably
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Tuning In
    I can deal with that mpg, just! I've bought John speeds 'travel vans' so now having a read through that. The whole book is based on converting his 814 so hoping to copy a lot of the technical stuff and the layout....

Tuning In
    The more I read the more complicated it sounds. I want plenty of solar/batteries, shower, toilet, hot water, large fresh water tank etc etc... Luckily I have a mate who's a plumber that can sort the water and gas side of things for me. The electrics I'm really not sure on!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Butch View Post
    The more I read the more complicated it sounds. I want plenty of solar/batteries, shower, toilet, hot water, large fresh water tank etc etc... Luckily I have a mate who's a plumber that can sort the water and gas side of things for me. The electrics I'm really not sure on!
    to paraphrase Mrs Beeton...........FIRST find ya van!
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Tuning In
    I guess that'd be a good first step! We'll see what shape it's in tomorrow and if it's to be my future home for the foreseeable future.

It's doing everything in an order that you don't have to undo stuff to do the next step that is troubling my brain! Would you put the insulation, floor, walls and roof in before running pipes and electric for example?

I would, some want them hidden though. Id rather have them so i can get to them in the future rather than buried in the wall or floor.

Tuning In
    I guess most of them will be hidden by cupboard units etc anyway

Thats what i figured.