THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes 814 advice

Tuning In
    Just realised that photobucket has stopped showing my photos!

I hadn't been to the van for about a month up until today but things are coming along! It's booked in for mot this Wednesday so today was spent making up brackets to hold the roofrack in the gutters and clearing it out of materials and tools.... Of which there was a lot more than I thought!

Cooker plans have changed, I've got a two hob burner which I'm going to extend the worktop and then sit it on there using the underneath as clothes storage. I'm going to build that tomorrow and hopefully the gas fittings will arrive soon so I can get it plumbed up - I'll finally have a working stove! Also I need to buy some bungee cord and fabricate some straps to hold my drawers in place, herbs, tea etc in the rack and nip up the tv bracket so that doesn't come out while on the move (had a little test drive today).

I've got 16 hours worth of lessons booked in starting the 21st this month and the test on the 24th, fingers crossed I pass and then she shall be on the road!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

I used net curtain wire and hooks instead of bungee, mainly because i already had some but seems to work well.
    Theres a couple of threads somewhere about photobucket alternatives.

Good luck with the test!

Tuning In
    That could also work, I'll see what I can pick up. Thanks mate, fingers crossed! I'm hoping to head down to Barcalona in September. I'm interested to see what kind of mpg she returns, I can live with 20mpg... Just.

Tuning In
    I spent Sunday morning using black elastic to stop things moving about, tightened up the to bracket to stop the to going everywhere and built a little worktop to sit the burner on. I can't see an easy way to screw the hob down, any inventive ideas? The fitting I needed has arrived so I may plumb it up and test it tonight!

On a downside she failed the mot! But all very minor - two exposed wires on the dash (speaker wires), hole on bodywork needs taping over for now and it's missing two rear marker lights so I'm picking it back up this evening and taking back for a retest Monday.

Exposed wires on the dash? I took a track car in for test with half the loom cut up and hanging out the remains of the dash to make sure it passed before i went to the trouble of finishing it, never even mentioned!

Picture of the hob if you have one may help ideas...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Tuning In
    I know, madness isn't it! It took me 2 seconds to fix. Vodka for you....

Tuning In
    I meant Vosa but vodka does also have an interesting effect! Been busy today...

Tuning In

The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989, NomadicRT, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Tuning In
    The black chalkboard paint hides some bad panel joins and will look much better once somebody other than me has drawn on it with chalk.

Looking good. The climbing holds are fun and the wall hangings look fab, what's the material from?

Tuning In
    Thanks Jonathan. The multi coloured fabric I bought in phi phi, Thailand. The elephant one was on eBay for a fiver, bargain!
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989

Tuning In
    Done a little bit more paining today and got the marker lights fixed onto the rear of the van ready to wire in when I get a chance. They're LEDs so don't draw much, I take it I just Earth the led somewhere near and splice a live into the rear lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Butch View Post
    Done a little bit more paining today and got the marker lights fixed onto the rear of the van ready to wire in when I get a chance. They're LEDs so don't draw much, I take it I just Earth the led somewhere near and splice a live into the rear lights?
    yes thats right with the leds

Tuning In
    Thanks, would joining the three live ends in a butt connector and heats bronzing over be sufficient?

Just strip a bit of the insulation of the cable you want to join to without cutting it, wrap the new cable round it and solder it. Tape up afterwards.

Alternatively you could use scotchlocks which are much easier, but I've always soldered...

Tuning In
    Unfortunately I don't have a soldering iron

A 12v/30w one will set you back about a tenner, surprisingly good value for money even if you only use it a handful of times, mine has croc clips so I can lug a spare battery in or out as required.

I generally preheat the iron on the gas hob for a minute or 2 as it is a lot quicker and easier on the battery.

Tuning In
    Ive just cobbled some wiring together whilst hungover to get her through tomorrow's mot but once she's back I'll invest in a soldering iron and make a neater job.

Tuning In
    Well she went through the mot this time so some tax and she'll be legally on the road... although I can't drive her until next Thursday when I hopefully pass my test!

Plumbed the cooker up this evening and fitted a single 6x9 speaker into a box and hid it under the seat in the cab so I've got some music whilst driving

Tuning In

Heavenly Creature
    Now she passed her test, you will pass yours!

Mercedes 814 advice

Quote Originally Posted by Little Butch View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a soldering iron
    Get some of these from eBay, they work with a lighter, keep heating till you see the older ring turn from grey and flagship to a silver, it solders and heat shrinks on one go with the addition of hot met glue in to waterproof it!

eBay item 262863607595
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989

Heavenly Creature
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Mercedes 814 advice

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I only wish I'd thought of em, the idea self is ages old but these babies are awesome, using a hot air gun Is best but a bic or zippo works fine, don't worry they won't burn, the heatshrink actually goes transparent once is hot, the solder takes a ] seconds longer as it's 150 degrees melt point where the heatshrink is 130 to shrink, the extra few degrees for a couple of seconds to melt the sidereal do no harm at all
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.