Thread: Magical realism

Magical realism

"Magical realism is a fiction genre in which magical elements blend to create a realistic atmosphere that accesses a deeper understanding of reality."

I recently discovered that this is my type of fantasy. I'm not keen on fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings. They're too far gone. I prefer magical things that happen in the real world. Like Pan's Labyrinth, Coraline, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

What type of fantasy do you like?
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    You've mentioned Coraline. I thoroughly recommend more Neil Gaiman, especially "Neverwhere", "American Gods" and "The Anancy Boys". "Stardust" filled me with horror and wonder. "The Graveyard Book" made me cry.

Yes, I like magical fantasy with some elements of realism too. Have you tried the Spellsinger books, by Alan Dean Foster? Does Salman Rushdie count? I ought to read "The Satanic Verses" again. Maybe that's outside the genre
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Recently read Neil Gaiman- The Ocean At The End Of The Lane also How The Marquis Got His Coat Back ,both short stories both good ,the Ocean at the end of the lane brilliant and hard to put down . Michael Moorcock is fantastic as is Robert Holdstock especially the Mythago Wood stories.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez was one of the grandfathers of magical realism, I highly recommend his "100 Years of Solitude", it's a stunning read. My favourite Rushdie novel is Haroun and the Sea of Stories, another marvellous, magical book.
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I love both of these books. Beautiful work to lose yourself in.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is the man! I have to say though that I read all of his stuff in Spanish. I have since started to read them in English and it does lose something in translation. I
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I don't speak/read Spanish, unfortunately; so have to make do with translations.

I was looking through my inherited library the other day, and found to my joy, another Marquez, "Love in the time of cholera", which I have just started to read.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by marshlander
    You've mentioned Coraline. I thoroughly recommend more Neil Gaiman, especially "Neverwhere", "American Gods" and "The Anancy Boys". "Stardust" filled me with horror and wonder. "The Graveyard Book" made me cry.

Yes, I like magical fantasy with some elements of realism too. Have you tried the Spellsinger books, by Alan Dean Foster? Does Salman Rushdie count? I ought to read "The Satanic Verses" again. Maybe that's outside the genre
    I had a build up of credits in my Audible account, so I've downloaded "Neverwhere", "The Graveyard Book" and "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" (recommended by likahamadoolihan, below). I haven't tried Spellsinger or Rushdie, unfortunately.

I also ordered Skellig; a short children's story.

Unfortunately the Gabriel Garcia Marquez audiobooks don't seem to have great narrators, so I may try to get hard copies of those.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"
    The following users think this post is groovy: likahamadoolihan, marshlander

Parrot - just finished reading love in the times of cholera in English. Yeah, good. I have also started to read Isabel Allende in English. She also uses magical realism in a couple of her books. Sadly, again I am not getting the same enjoyment as in the original versions.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

Not Quite a Noobie
    I like time travel fantasy! HG Wells book and the film of that book "The Time Machine" is an absolute classic! Here is the film trailer:
    That and the old DR Who programmes from 1970 to 1981. Dr Who went down hill a lot when Tom Baker left the series. My favourite Doctors were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Alan Moore's ( Watchmen , V for Vendetta etc.) new book Jerusalem looks pretty good , bit steep at 25 but over 1000 pages.
    Some reviews -

Off the beaten track .... Maxal's Avatar
    Marquez is still on my to read list.

Starling: if you like the kind of inbetween fantasy you might like Jonathan Carroll. I'm slowly working through his books. He is famous for The Land of Laughs (regularly voted one of the best fantasy books ever). His books are about normal relationships, but then every now and then a weird thing can happen, dreams can mgerge with reality, or things suddenly have a slightly sinister twist. Bones of the Moon is his first (and if I remember it right, there is more fantasy in that - a whole dreamworld which has direct consequences over the real world).

You might also like Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (get the uncut edition). It has fantasy elements, but is written in a very realistic way. It's sort of about what would happen if Jesus visited us today, but saying that doesn't properly convey the feel of the book.

I loved Clive Barker's Weaveworld and Imajica. Dune is stunning (once I'd read about thirty pages into it and got used to the style). And as I've mentioned on another thread Gormenghast is wonderful.