Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Autoharp

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar

Autoharp

Does anyone on here play an autoharp?

I had to google it to find out what one was!
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

D'you fancy seeing if you could play one, Sooty?

Im about as musicicaal as a fart.....I tried to play Harmonica...useless, I tried three times with Guitar, cant remember chords, same with strumstick and that supposed to be 'impossible' to play badly.I managed. Dad bought me a Banjo as he loves his, tried to teach me.....nope....i can just about hum a tune..and then badly...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Next time you're over this way, I'll get the autoharp out. You might surprise yourself.

Ill give it a go Maggie, thank you.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Yes, I do from time to time. I have a couple of the old German black ones and a couple of Chromaharps, which sound much better and hold their tuning well.

Not seen one of those since my school days,the music dept had a couple and some zithers and santoors...
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Not seen one of those since my school days,the music dept had a couple and some zithers and santoors...
    Those were the days

Yes i think they were...my high school was pretty well stocked with instruments of all kinds, despite them routinely complaining of underfunding (this was the 1970's )
    actually it was well over stocked and not.just limited to a tight range of instruments like seems to be the case now in schools.

Sadly i didnt get to learn a lot as the teacher i had was pretty hopeless at maintaining order so lessons were at best, chaotic.
    Being an optional subject i was opted out of it by my father who wanted me to do sciences, not arts ---like i wanted- so what musicality ive acquired since then has been piecemeal and lacklustre.

i enjoy messing around on my appalachian dulcimer mostly...thst and my penny whistle- though ive got other toys.
    Its quite funny that i was only thinking about the zither and autoharp the other day as something i might have a go at some day and the subject pops up here.

I have an Erato Autoharp which I picked up for pennies (literally, it was 99p). The bloke said it was broken and needed new strings, but actually it just needed cleaning. It's even in tune more or less! Lovely thing, I have just discovered Appalachian Mountain music, when I youtubed to see how folk played it. Whether I'll ever do more than strum it gently is guesswork, but it's a nice instrument.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    I,m in the sooty camp of musicians can play the jukebox and can just about master a stereo
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    I have an Erato Autoharp which I picked up for pennies (literally, it was 99p). The bloke said it was broken and needed new strings, but actually it just needed cleaning. It's even in tune more or less! Lovely thing, I have just discovered Appalachian Mountain music, when I youtubed to see how folk played it. Whether I'll ever do more than strum it gently is guesswork, but it's a nice instrument.
    Yes the App Dulcimer has a lovely tone.Only 4 strings two.in the ssme note ususlly to creste a harmonic and its easy to change the base key and the chords are simple.Much easier thsn a Geetarrr
    Im hopelesd with guitar and some other instruments.because i just dont have the fkexibility in my hands to play properly.The autohsrp sounds fun.I forgot ive got a kalimba too thst is easy and fun to playAlso if you like string mudic listen to Toumsni Diabate on his Kora - wonderful i only wish i could plsy like him.

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, JonnyBrush, marshlander, parrotandcrow

My mother-in-law gave me one with a bit of history, was given to her father by Paul Robeson the American civil rights activist and blues singer for looking after him in his hotel when ill. Her father was a percussionist and head of musicians union and instrumental in embarrassing the US gov into giving him a passport to come to uk and perform as they would not give him one at first. He also spoke to Fidel Castro on the phone when looking after Paul when he phoned to see how he was and got told Fidel Castro to get off the line rather abruptly as fbi was listening in to the calls. That's the abbreviated version. Needs a string but Yolanda won't let it out of her sight. So one when someone can call by and do it, it will get done. Through a friend though we been told could ruin it if tuned due to age and distortion loosening the strings.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by milly
    My mother-in-law gave me one with a bit of history, was given to her father by Paul Robeson the American civil rights activist and blues singer for looking after him in his hotel when ill.
    What a cool tale, milly. If you wrote it up, I bet "The Post" (Postdatum in Llandovery), for one, would love to print it.

Not heard on Postdatum in Llandovery, what be it Brynhyffryd

Heavenly Creature
    Not heard on Postdatum in Llandovery, what be it Brynhyffryd
    Sorry, substitute "Lampeter Grapevine"
    The following users think this post is groovy: milly

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    I have never played one but I play a proper one where are you have to make the chords up yourself
    If there are any mistakes in my posts it's Apple dictation's fault

I would like to give it a go though

What can I change it to
    Correction what key are they tuned to
    My dictation has a mind of it's own today

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    I've got one but have yet to get around to learning it. Does yours have lines of blocks to press down on the strings?
    Not all who wander are lost

Scottish harps are called Clarsachs which translates literally as little harp galic. They are normally change to either a flat or a flat
    Tuned
    The two I have about tuned to a flat
    One of my lap ones I have also changed the flat
    Tuned
    I don't know what's wrong with this fucking dictation today

The blocks you are referring to a cold bars that push the strings down