THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question about being good.

A question about being good.

I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith. Questioning what it actually means to be "good".

I consider myself a new age, spiritual person who tries to live in harmony with mother earth. I meditate. I'm vegan. I recycle. Try to see the positives in everything and believe in trusting in the universe.

I also believe that we are extensions of source energy/God. And are here to experience life and expand our consciousness. But lately this has been troubling me. If we're all here just to experience life. Spiritual beings having a human experience, then do we have to actually be "good"? What's wrong with doing whatever the hell you want even if you hurt yourself or others? Can the expansion of consciousness only occur through positive loving experiences?

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    In Conversations With God, Neale Donald Walsch lays out an alternative to the 10 commandments, stating that there is no order to be "good". Instead, with a greater connection to Higher Power we become less inclined to do things that are harmful or don't serve us.

In other words, we don't kill, steal, cheat or lie, not because of an order or threat of damnation, but instead because we feel divinely aligned and therefore have no need to take part in these behaviours.

Regardless of that, there is no death, we are all eternal regardless of our behaviour, and every experience is helping us to evolve, and in helping us to evolve we are also being a part of the evolution of God (or Source)
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, parrotandcrow

Thanks so much for that! It has really started bothering me. I like Walsch's theory.

Maybe it's about vibration. And so the more negatively you live your life, the lower your vibration is which causes you to become less connected with source/your higher self/God?

It's just so hard though sometimes. For me anyway. I feel like I'm only one bad decision from ruining my life lol.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by miku
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I feel like I'm only one bad decision from ruining my life lol.
    God is a great concept but a lousy brand. Or rather, there is no "God" brand, just a bunch of derivative, dodgy, fake godalikes knocked together by religions. Even to attempt to describe God is to libel her (him, it, whatever).

To lead a good life you could do worse than to follow Buddhist practice. Without actually signing the release form for your soul, because even the Buddhist religionists are at war with each other, and you could find yourself on the wrong side of the barricades. There is no God in Buddhism. So what?

I feel like I'm only one bad decision from ruining my life lol.
    Same for all of us, just step out from the kerb at the wrong moment and wallop! You are reincarnated as a fruit fly.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, skyraven

I do believe you answered your own question....since you wrote about consciousness raising and not merely the experience of life itself.

Trying to be good is a noble intention but is unlikely to be wholly achieved.....but trying matters.

I don't recycle currently.....that is bad......we can all try harder.

Experiencing life as it is might easily lead a person to challenge a culture and mindset that rewards obscene wealth and exploitation...... it's bad but rewarded.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Maybe it's about vibration. And so the more negatively you live your life, the lower your vibration is which causes you to become less connected with source/your higher self/God?
    The human condition as explained by Abraham Hicks? (a guess at what you've been reading)

I agree and believe that all addictions and destructive behaviour are caused by separation from source - human beings are spiritual creatures that need a god-connection in order to thrive, but without that they have to deal with the consequences of trying to live from a place of lack (of faith) and therefore try to run the show on their own. Some people suffer greater separation, which counts for the severity of the "wrongdoing".

Eckhart Tolle would call this the pain body.

Transcending
    That's a really interesting question, Miku.

Personally, I feel I have learnt the most from the bad experiences in my life. They in turn have led me to becoming a 'better' person, in my opinion, because I had to really look into myself and think about my situation in order to change it. I dealt with bad experiences in 'bad' ways, through drinking and taking drugs, and did myself more harm in the process. But it also led to me being able to help, in some small way, other people who are going through a difficult time. So the bad led to good, if that makes sense?

I think perhaps it's more about perception; why do we see things as bad or good? For example, my son was in hospital again yesterday as he was fitting for hours. This would be seen by most as a bad thing. They gave him some medicine, which stopped the fits - most would see that as good. That medicine has probably been tested on animals, which is bad. It's no doubt been developed by some big pharma company and costs a fortune, which in my opinion is bad, but the rich people that own that company would see that as good. We had to wait over an hour once he was well enough to go go home for them to sort out the discharge papers, which most would view as 'bad', but I had a nice chat with another mum and her lovely baby, so that was good. And so it goes on, flip flopping back and forth.

Personally, I just try and do what feels right, rather than being good and for me that changes, even on a daily basis. There are times when I can be compassionate and listen to someone who I think is talking nonsense, and other times when I can't and I tell them to shut up. I don't think it makes me a bad person, just a human who has different things going on

Soz in advance but faith and perception should not be used as excuses to justify the means and intention of the wrongdoing that is wrongly rewarded to excess.

That's what THEY want you to think......wink(couldn't find the wink smiley)

You are somehow suggesting it's OK....it is not OK......we qualify as the ignorant, opiated masses subjected to exploitation and wealth gathering by those intentional exploiters to whom you are affording excuses.

THEY are still blindsiding populations and will continue to do so if populations continue to extend them the benefit of the doubt which THEY are actively exploiting.

THAT is consciousness raising.......but who wants to believe that wealth gatherers are actively murdering people.......YOUR denial of THEIR intention enables THEIR bad behaviour..... (Murderous in fact)
    Last edited by zendaze; 16-10--2016 at 12:31 AM.

I wrote a huge reply and it didn't post! Oh well. I'll try to remember what I said lol.

@Brynhyffryd
    Life is so fragile isn't it. I actually really resonate with a lot of the Bhuddist beliefs/practices. Mindfullness, meditation, kindness etc.

@zendaze
    Lol maybe I did! And you're right, we can always do better. I'm sure there are a lot of things that you do that others have not managed to yet.

And with regards to your second comment, not sure if Givingitthought was trying to say that, at least that's not what I took from her reply. But i could be wrong, that's the thing about perception lol

@Paul
    You are correct! I love the teachings of Abraham. I have followed them for years. Love Echkart as well but have not heard of the pain body
    will definitely look it up. I like what you said about humans needing a connection with "God" in order to thrive.

@GivingItThought
    Thank you
    . So sorry to hear about your son. I hope he recovers quickly. I completely get what you mean. Perception plays a major role. It seems like we have very similar backgrounds. But if it weren't for all my bad experiences, I wouldn't be exactly where I want to be.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket

What do you mean,"the budhist religionists are at war with each other" ?Makes me feel sad.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    God is a great concept but a lousy brand. Or rather, there is no "God" brand, just a bunch of derivative, dodgy, fake godalikes knocked together by religions. Even to attempt to describe God is to libel her (him, it, whatever).

To lead a good life you could do worse than to follow Buddhist practice. Without actually signing the release form for your soul, because even the Buddhist religionists are at war with each other, and you could find yourself on the wrong side of the barricades. There is no God in Buddhism. So what?

Same for all of us, just step out from the kerb at the wrong moment and wallop! You are reincarnated as a fruit fly.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by cricket
    What do you mean,"the budhist religionists are at war with each other" ?Makes me feel sad.
    Sects. I meant sects. It is not all love and peace. Look up Theravada and Mahayana schools, the Japanese priest Nichiren, "Buddhist schisms", etc.

Sorry to make you sad!

Originally Posted by cricket
    Theyre not at war with each other they differ in interpretation rather like the Christian faith stretches from Orthodox/Catholicism to Quakers /Unitarian Universalists/Methodists....or Islam Sunni Shia Sufism etc
    Theravada buddism is the closest interpretation of the Buddhas teachings snd mostly found in far Asia -Thai forest buddism (Ajahn Chah teachings)
    Hinayana Mahayana and Vahjrayana are the Tibetan buddist teachings of which there sre currently 4 msin Schools (monastic lineage traditiond) they all teach their own interpretations of Mahayana and Vahjrayana.they were once at war but now its purely s conflict of interpretation...who is the most enlightened
    The Dalai Lama and 17th Karmapa Lama head Tibetan buddism.

Then the other forms like Japanese( Nicheren).Thien Buddhism of vietnam guru Thich Nhat Hanh and the westernized forms of zen buddism.
    They all disagree with each others forms and prsctices but non are violently opposed.
    The only real buddhist violence st present is the ongoing war in Myanmar between Buddhists and Islam and the moslem Rohingya minority who sre badly victimised and murdered by buddhists there...sad but true.
    Buddhism is primarily a philosophical wsy of life rather than a fsith or religion.The religious practices associated with buddism -chants msntras devotions offerings methodology- are common with hinduism as the two religions vied for influence and fought for centuries so many of the cultural practices have become merged...though the two are distinctly different faiths, one worships gods (hinduism) the other searches for a personal path to enlightenment.(Buddhism.)
    Anyone can be a lay buddhist,you may slso adopt buddhism within some other faith -if you hsve one.You cant call yourself a true Buddhist though unless you enroll in a monastic tradition of Buddhism regardlesd of which you prefer.You come under the guidanxe of a guru until he id happy thst you hsve lesrned through study prsctice and meditation the principles of the tradition.
    Which is why the western forms.like zen have become popular because they dont require the rigid monastic commitment...DIY buddhism if you will.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 17-10--2016 at 11:51 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Drekkly Dharma Dude Bodhisurfer's Avatar
    It's good to be good :-)
    After reading the above I may have to stop calling myself a Buddhist after never having formally enrolled ;-) However a text I often recommend to people is called The Kalamas Sutta and is an account of the Buddha discussing this, and other, issues with a group of villagers. You can find an English translation at accesstoinsight.org.
    Essentially he asks the villagers to look at the benefits of following the precepts as opposed to not following them.
    I've been a Buddhist (or used the Theravada teachings as a guide -whichever you prefer, it really doesn't matter) for over 30 years now. It's not always easy to be good. It's not always easy to resist temptations. Hell, it's not always easy to know what 'good' is but it's always worth the effort :-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, quintessence

Heavenly Creature
    Sorry to confuse you Nomadic by using "war" as a metaphor for religious conflict. I should try harder to avoid hyperbole.

Please check your facts regarding "becoming a true Buddhist". Nichiren Daishonin would be a good place to start.

Oh dear.....oopsie.....

Hyperbole? Really?......if it looks like sounds like and smells like 'war' then why would you accuse yourself of overreacting?

Those objectively subjected to unfairness struggle to be 'good'

I won't be flicking the first dominos but don't pretend that war has not been declared. Hyperbole....my arse.....

For me,personally it feels better to be a "good"person,which going by my rebel nature can sometimes be hard!
    However I think essentially I've been a pretty good person for most of my life.Not because I believe I'll go to heaven,just because I want to be.Less drama's going on in life when you're a good/better person,and that can only be a positive thing.
    I was following the buddhists path,used to go every week to a buddhists "class"and was taught by a tibetan monk.However,we moved,and tbh,even if we had'nt,I am happy to just follow my own path,be a good person,do some good in the world,meditate and practice my yoga.

Good is entirely subjective as it's something you feel inside. Only you know what 'good' means for you. However, as humans we have strong social bonds and a capacity to empathise. Because of those things, we're able to develop a rough near-consensus of what good is generally, sense how others perceive good, and feel the effects for ourselves. A collective subjectivity.

This subjectivity may or may not come from a divine source. Personally I feel it does, but I know many amazing people who are driven to do good, without a conscious acknowledgement of any spiritual dimension to what they are doing or feeling. Either way, there's no dogma required. It's something you feel inside based on what feels enjoyable, healthy, fair and compassionate to you.

Why be good to others? Because you know that it makes everyone happier and more likely to amplify that happiness through further good deeds. This creates a more enjoyable world for everyone, including you. Enjoyment, fairness, kindness, safety and health... we experience these things as positive, so we want to experience more of them. The means is the end is the reward.

Does it make you more spiritually enlightened? Not necessarily. But your energy body is a system, and an open, secure, generous heart chakra is important to the health of that system. So being good - relaxing and stimulating your heart - enables a more expanded or enlightened experience. Being good may not make you spiritually capable but it's hard to be spiritually capable without being good.

Can you still maintain a spiritual practice whilst treating others like shit? Of course. You'd be feeding off the energy you force from them and using it to further your own development. Vampire. At some point you'd hit the wall of your own ego though, and get no further. A muddy existence prowling the lowest levels of your own potential, feeding off the other bottom feeders and getting fed on by others as your power becomes distorted, desperate and petty. I doubt it's an enjoyable, safe or healthy existence, and you would recognise it for what it is. Bad.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Cobra, cricket

Apologies well in advance but I have found myself in a position many times in life where I've reached for the only option available and had nothing.

Given that I fell there is no spiritual being or god like thing.

Sorry ....sweet dreams.

Frame.xx
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.

P.S . I am one of the nicest people in existence according to all that know me ??

I am nice tho

Frame.
    Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Heavenly Creature

Spiritual beings having a human experience...
    Or human beings having a spiritual experience? That seems to explain the phenomena better.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, MacMac

'good' scares me. Makes me think of a control system that rewards what the group has deteremined as being in 'its' interest; the 'good' nazi, or the good worker. It seems a tad mechanical.

To be aware, to be responsible, to be free of limitation and addiction and then do what feels to be of ones own volition can only bring a course that is true.
    Everything is not normal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, NomadicRT

Yeah I'd rather run alone tbh.As I said I did attend a local (At the time,we've since moved)buddhists group,and found the other attendee's slightly strange.They either didnt speak to you at all,or the ones who did seemed to be under some sort of "trance"like state,abit like a stepford wife?lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Cobra
    Yeah I'd rather run alone tbh.As I said I did attend a local (At the time,we've since moved)buddhists group,and found the other attendee's slightly strange.They either didnt speak to you at all,or the ones who did seemed to be under some sort of "trance"like state,abit like a stepford wife?lol
    Ever been to a Kingdom Hall?

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

No?Where is it?lol Have you?Going from your expression?I'd say yes and it was'nt good right?
    It doesnt sound like a Buddhists temple?lol