THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A question about being good.

Transcending
    Buddhism... i had one bad experience of these ' GOOD ' people when i was in China... .. Me, Wifey , Brother in law and hid girlfriend were out for the day sightseeing... we had employed the services of a guide / taxi driver for the day.. this particular guy was chosen by my Brother and girlfriend because he had a ' manky' leg and they thought he could probly do with the work more than the other ( more able bodied guides )... anyway... we went to see some sights ( this particular place was cave country ).. we went to a world famous cave and had a most enjoyable time.. on the way back the ' guide ' suggested we went into a ( cave buddha monestry / church / place / temple ?? )... inside was magnificent there was a huge ( smiling buddha ) carved into the cave wall surrounded by all his pots of gold .. it was about 40ft long !!.. well the ( tour ).. went in a kind of one way system... 1st the big buddha.. then you looked on a chart to find your birthday .. this gave you a number.. then you went into another room which was filled with statues of ( protectors ?? ).. you found your ( protector ).. by using the number previously got and then looked / contemplated with him ( prayed if liked ).. before moving on...through a few more rooms ( a variety of beutifull artifacts and cave paintings ).. to the end room where you sat for a chat with the priest / monk .... and this is where the rub comes in ... the priest / monk .. say's he will ask Buddha / pray ( on your behalf ) to make your future happyier / better / lukyier.. ect... but he DEMANDS payment for this.. the price ??.. all the money you have on you... and if you refuse he THREATENS to ask Buddha to make your future Crap / Bad... needless to say my companions coughed up the dough ( over 1,000 in total ).... and we left... one point to add ...the monk said i didn't need to pay ..... because i was a foriegner..... ( personally i think he probly knew i would tell him right where to get off )....

Sorry but you got caught in a right good old tourist scam there.Did you not realise at all?Why be bothered risking a "bad"prayer for all your money?Not budhists.Did you report to police?Embassy?Tourist board?The Chinese took over Tibet in recent times, rape,murder,pillage.Destroyed much.If a good old con exploiting a culture they despise can rake in a few bucks,well look out the unwary.Definately NOT Budhists.Get in touch with tour operators,The Lonely Planet guide books and warn others.Walk out the door and everyone wants your money,most by fair means a lot by foul
    I do accept though that you were probably all very frightened having been taken to a lonely place and outnumbered by "holy men"who may have had a weapon under their robes.
    Last edited by cricket; 01-01--2017 at 02:49 PM.

Transcending
    like i said i was not asked to part with any money ( being a foriegner ).... they were relying on my companions reverence / belief in buddha to make their demands the temple was on the main road not lonely atall.. and it was massive inside and obviously very old ( maybe a thousand years or so )... how could they have gotton away with it for so long ???..... all i can gather ( through some pretty poor translations ).. is that they ( my companions ) thought it was a BAD place.. also the they thought that the Taxi driver / guide was a bad person and was in ' co-houts / getting a back hander ' fwith them....???

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by crazytim
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Buddhism... i had one bad experience of these ' GOOD ' people when i was in China... .. Me, Wifey , Brother in law and hid girlfriend were out for the day sightseeing... we had employed the services of a guide / taxi driver for the day.. this particular guy was chosen by my Brother and girlfriend because he had a ' manky' leg and they thought he could probly do with the work more than the other ( more able bodied guides )... anyway... we went to see some sights ( this particular place was cave country ).. we went to a world famous cave and had a most enjoyable time.. on the way back the ' guide ' suggested we went into a ( cave buddha monestry / church / place / temple ?? )... inside was magnificent there was a huge ( smiling buddha ) carved into the cave wall surrounded by all his pots of gold .. it was about 40ft long !!.. well the ( tour ).. went in a kind of one way system... 1st the big buddha.. then you looked on a chart to find your birthday .. this gave you a number.. then you went into another room which was filled with statues of ( protectors ?? ).. you found your ( protector ).. by using the number previously got and then looked / contemplated with him ( prayed if liked ).. before moving on...through a few more rooms ( a variety of beutifull artifacts and cave paintings ).. to the end room where you sat for a chat with the priest / monk .... and this is where the rub comes in ... the priest / monk .. say's he will ask Buddha / pray ( on your behalf ) to make your future happyier / better / lukyier.. ect... but he DEMANDS payment for this.. the price ??.. all the money you have on you... and if you refuse he THREATENS to ask Buddha to make your future Crap / Bad... needless to say my companions coughed up the dough ( over 1,000 in total ).... and we left... one point to add ...the monk said i didn't need to pay ..... because i was a foriegner..... ( personally i think he probly knew i would tell him right where to get off )....
    A thousand pounds!?! I'd of said here's a fiver... that's all I've got. I doubt they would of strip searched you all lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot