THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Don't know how to move on: art business

Don't know how to move on: art business

I used to have a business as a paper artist. Technically I still do, although I haven't produced anything or put anything up for sale for ages. I didn't make a lot of money, but I made some, and profits were increasing all the time. But my husband was very unsupportive, even making derogatory comments on my public facebook page, and eventually, when he insisted I got a 'proper job', I lost the heart to do any paper art and haven't done any since. I have been separated now for 9 months and I need to make a decision to either give it up entirely or pick it up again and make a proper go of it withOUT my husband constantly hindering me. Of course now I have a full time job doing something else, so there is less time for me to invest. But I still have LOTS of raw materials that I have to either use or bin... it's all got to go so that I can move into my van.

A facebook memory came up yesterday and I felt so sad that it was THREE YEARS since I last did any paper art!! I knew I'd put things on hold while I was going through my marriage break-up but I hadn't realised I'd left it THAT long! It has been such a sad and difficult time over the last 3 years I couldn't do any art. Now I'm much better I do want to make art again, but not sure about the business side of it. I guess I still feel quite bitter about my husband's attitude towards it and I feel that bitterness is standing in my way of making a true decision. How do I get past that?

I've been looking over pictures of stuff I made and I want to make more.... but I have my husband's words ringing in my ears every time I look and it just knocks the wind out of my sails.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    dont bin it,use up the materials you have left and see if there is still a market for it,you did it before so you CAN do it again
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Whatever you decide to do, don't act in haste. I would say keep the materials for another day, if they're expensive. If they're easily replaceable then maybe that's a way to go...no old memories hanging around with new equipment? Or maybe you could try another artistic avenue for now? This one is obviously causing you some angst...maybe it's better to leave the lid on it and revisit at a later date. 9 months actually isn't very long in the big scheme of things. Whatever the reasons for a relationship breakdown it can knock you for 6 as no one goes into it with the intention of it ending. I think you should do some personal art therapy without thoughts of a business hanging over you. If you're into giving gifts for the solstice why not just concentrate on that and create things for your loved ones. Go with the calming and soothing for now and build up to bigger things later when you're a bit less mehbleughargh I reckon.

- - - Updated - - -

Be kind to yourself
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chillicamper, marshlander, nicklincs, nomis

If you made money doing it before, you can do it again. An extra source of income is always useful.

But first, why not just have a play with some of the materials. Discover the love of art, for arts sake first.

I sell a few of my wooden pens now. But wood turning started off as a way to shut out bad noise from the outside world. A way to calm my mind. The fact that it now makes me a small income is a bonus.

Don't make stuff to sell initially. Just have a bit of fun with the materials you have left over. Hopefully you'll re-discover why you loved making stuff - then you can decide if you want to set up and sell your art again....... or if you want to move on from making stuff to sell and just make the occasional piece of art to satisfy your soul.

Either way, art should be a release, not make you stressed or worried.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I look forward to seeing pictures of your creations.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis

Transcending
    I don't know what a paper artist makes, but any art is good for the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: davechester, nomis

Gosh you guys are great at advice! Thank you! I feel from your answers that you totally get where I'm coming from. And yes you're right there is quite a marked difference between the stuff I do for art's sake and the 'bread and butter' stuff I sold. Here are some pics so you know the sort of stuff I'm on about:

The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, davechester, milly, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis

Originally Posted by Okifolki
    Gosh you guys are great at advice! Thank you! I feel from your answers that you totally get where I'm coming from. And yes you're right there is quite a marked difference between the stuff I do for art's sake and the 'bread and butter' stuff I sold. Here are some pics so you know the sort of stuff I'm on about:

You cleaver ole Okifolki I'm well impressed. Absolutely excellent!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, nomis

They're beautiful creations okifolki, and it'll always be there for you when/if you decide to return xx

Thank you for the compliments.
    Tax returns are another thing to consider.... they are the bane of my life! I really REALLY hate numbers!! And it seems silly to keep filling them in every year if I'm not even gonna do any business... but if I totally shut down, I'm worried I'll lose my business name.. which I quite like, and have become emotionally attached to.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami

Thats really great work you do and yes I hate tax returns Yolanda's always on my case near the time for online submission. I usually get it done at the last moment.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, nomis

Transcending
    I particularly like the paper bowls, well done.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami

Transcending
    Go for it, OkiFolki, kick that negative ex to the kerb! Two pieces of advice that I've been given over the years popped into my head when I was reading your post.

One is that the best form of revenge is a life well lived. Some years ago now a lot of bad things had happened/been done to me. I was very focused on getting justice/revenge/not letting them get away with it. And someone I didn't know particularly well, or particularly like funnily enough, said to me "The best thing you can do is live your life in the very best way that you can and not let these events determine your future for you". Absolutely spot on and I have strived to do that ever since. You've got materials and a business name, you've a full time job so it won't matter if you're not making a profit straight away and it will be your chance to vanquish those old ghosts and stop that voice in your head

The second piece of advice was with regard to the negative voices, for me it had come for years from my mum and step-dad and it does fill your whole head constantly, it's very odd. But a therapist told me to tell the voice to bugger off, out loud (not in public as people tend to get a bit anxious when they see people talking to themselves
    ) and then to give yourself very soothing, positive talk, almost the way you would encourage a child or someone who was very nervous about something. Really passionate and caring and encouraging. It's difficult to do (or it was for me) but I did/do find it helpful.

But yes, definitely go for it, it's always good to have more than one string to your bow and how nice to do something that lovely.

Re tax returns, maybe a skill swop could happen, someone else can crunch your numbers and you can do something creative and arty for them?
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, nicklincs, nomis

Love your work!Wow,amazing!I think re your ex husbands comments,look at it this way ok?What he said to you was in the past.Live in the present moment,re focus your mind,and make decisions on how you're feeling right now,not how you felt when your ex was making derogatory remarks.Good luck,and I wish you well.xoxox
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, nomis

Heavenly Creature
    Very cool objects. Just keep doing it.

Fuck him and his negative shit, as far as I can see he was jealous of your talent and it made him feel inferior, you were making money from it and that proves people believed in you and your art, you have moved on from him now you can forget his derogatory words and negative personality, soar in your freedom, you are a talented lady.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: davechester, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis

Thank you very much guys! You are all so kind! Yes I will try doing the shutting up out loud thing. I probably should have done that when I was married really! lolol. And yes to just do it and not think of it in a business way would be a good way forward I reckon. And more time.... yeah... I should probably ease up on myself a bit there. My husband isn't a bad buy really. He just doesn't get it at all. And I think in his head he probably thought he was just being realistic. I dunno... I've no desire at all for 'revenge' or anything like that, so I can't think of it in that way, although I do obviously want to continue living a happy and fulfilling life. Art is a funny thing. It seems that when you need to do it the most, you feel least inclined.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Your artwork is really lovely okifolki and i think deep down you still must want to succeed with it.Your ex's negative comments were bullying and intimidation because it was something you loved doing and it was a way he could succesdfully undrrmine your confidence snd self worth.
    He's gone now and youre free to do as you please.You should start over again and rediscover your talents and put all the past in the bin where it belongs,not your artwork.
    As far as your business name goes you csn allow the company to go dormant so long as you submit the usual accounts -even if youve made no money at all -to satisfy the company house registration.It shouldnt be too difficult to fill in your forms if youve no been trading at all.
    Then your business name is protected until you want to revive your business....yeah.its a bit of hassle but youve done the hardest part already ,extracting yourself from a troubled marriage.
    If youre not sure what to do with your present collection of work then why not rent s storsge unit and put it all there until youve decided whst to do ...dont bin it though.Youre obviously talented, dont waste it becsuse of some spiteful derogatory comments of an ex...Good luck
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis, wurzel

Whether it's for money or just for the love of it, keep making......I'd buy that art.....love all of it.

And you have my sympathy on the tax returns. I had to start sorting all that crap out this year for my pen business. It's not a lot of fun is it......but worth the pain to had a second income coming in.

That stuff is great..go for it.....let the ignorant git be wrong,hes one person with negatives(tho i cant see why)look how many possitives here for a start...dont let his abuse continue xx

When you hear his voice say this - these are the principles I live by

I am always impeccable with my word

I don't take things personally

I don't judge

I am always the best that I can be

When I look at your work I see talent, love and beauty, which is very rare and very special, what you have to understand about your Husbands negativity, it isn't about you it is about his failings and he just projects that onto you because you were the closest to him.

Time to move on girl, put the past to bed all you have is now, not tomorrow or next week or next year, do what makes you happy now, set your Husband free, it is time for you to get creating again, revenge isn't sweet but your success is.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, marshlander, nicklincs, NomadicRT, nomis

Beautiful stunning work, wish i had your talent. Good luck with it x
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, nomis

When making things brings us pleasure, it's not really like work. When the things we make really brings others pleasure, we know we are working.
    Not only is your artwork beautiful and thoughtful. It puts new meaning to recycling. A picture can say a thousand words & you can turn a thousand words into a picture. What's not to like!

The Tax man was a bully. He has been sacked and replaced by a simplified microchip. You will find the rules of the inland revenue microchip most accommodating these days, if your turnover is below 10k. Be not afraid. If you keep records, receipts. Put 200 aside to pay a small business accountant. If they can't put 1000 back in your pocket and cover their own fees out of money the inland microchip will rightly owe you. Try a different accountant the following year.

Remember, your vehicle is not a home, it's your workshop. All campsite fees, fuel, spares and repairs are tax deductible. A mobile artist can rack up a fair amount in running costs.

You are a very tallented women. Your music and your artwork will hold you in good sted. Life is for living, so do what ever you love most.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, nomis

Blimey I don't claim any of that stuff! Every now and then I'll keep a 20 diesel receipt cause it seems about right... lol. I'm proper shit. If the inland revenue ever audit me I feel really sorry for whoever they send round to do it.

I read over this thread last night and was moved to tears by the kind, supportive and wise things you've all said to me here. Thank you. Very much! You are beautiful people!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chillicamper