THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SAD

Not Quite a Noobie lone_woodsman's Avatar

SAD

Does anyone else suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder?

How do you manage and keep yourself motivated?

Me...with great difficulty Doesnt help that i have bouts of depression and have PTSD anywsy so dont sleep well and being tired or exhuasted and irritable compounds the problem........The wsy i live -in a trailer with no mains services- motivates me.If i dont do stuff i dont eat drink or stay warm.Plus i hsve my cat to tske csre of.
    I utterly detest winter except when its snowy.The blue skies and brilliant snow perk me up...but most of the winter i just wsnt to hibernate.I tend to do a lot of walking anyway so getting out in the fresh air routinely kind of helps.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 19-10--2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Transcending
    I've been struggling overall recently and with winter coming I knew it would get worse so I have gone onto an anti-depressant now.

I used to use one of those light boxes years ago, which I did find helpful. I believe you can get regular lightbulbs that give out the 'good' rays so that you're getting it just as you do your day to day stuff. I don't know much about it now, it was probably about ten years ago that I used one and it was like a space ship, lol, my neighbours used to joke that there was so much light coming from my house in the morning they didn't need to put their kitchen lights on

Personally I have come to the conclusion that healthy living/eating/stress management and so on only takes me so far and that there are times when some chemical help is welcome. We're all different but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't suffer a bit over the winter months with the lack of light so I think it's trial and error to find the things that work for you.

lone wolf survivalist.
    wife gets S.A.D. and she's got one of those light things for when its really bad.
    I don't get SAD I just get bored when i'm cooped up inside in the dark winter days, I have to get out into the countryside away from people, then i'm happy.

Not Quite a Noobie lone_woodsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Me...with great difficulty Doesnt help that i have bouts of depression and have PTSD anywsy so dont sleep well and being tired or exhuasted and irritable compounds the problem........The wsy i live -in a trailer with no mains services- motivates me.If i dont do stuff i dont eat drink or stay warm.Plus i hsve my cat to tske csre of.
    I utterly detest winter except when its snowy.The blue skies and brilliant snow perk me up...but most of the winter i just wsnt to hibernate.I tend to do a lot of walking anyway so getting out in the fresh air routinely kind of helps.
    I wish I could hibernate like the other bears do!

Quote Originally Posted by GivingItThought View Post
    I've been struggling overall recently and with winter coming I knew it would get worse so I have gone onto an anti-depressant now.

I used to use one of those light boxes years ago, which I did find helpful. I believe you can get regular lightbulbs that give out the 'good' rays so that you're getting it just as you do your day to day stuff. I don't know much about it now, it was probably about ten years ago that I used one and it was like a space ship, lol, my neighbours used to joke that there was so much light coming from my house in the morning they didn't need to put their kitchen lights on

Personally I have come to the conclusion that healthy living/eating/stress management and so on only takes me so far and that there are times when some chemical help is welcome. We're all different but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't suffer a bit over the winter months with the lack of light so I think it's trial and error to find the things that work for you.
    Ive always resisted the drugs angle...i never wanted to become dependent on them.It was bad enough on opiate painkillers -which i stopped as they were making me worse mentally.I f i can get outdoors walking im usually ok.I was thinking of getting a lightbox but its just more clutter i dont have room for so i may get some blue led lights as blue is supposed to be the key trigger....its all pretty complicated from.my angle as having irlen syndrome lighting snd colours can clash and have quite significant subliminal effects on my mood.....if you can imagine the text youre reading now seemingly floating above the page and shifts as you move your eyes thsts whst i have all the time reading or on a pc and depending on colours and backgrounds can be worse or better....needless to ssy that puts me in a bad mood and gives me migrsines.so i have to limit time on devices.If i get tired and theres bright lights on i get visual issues then too....so i thought id get some of those led string lights in different colours and expetiment on.lighting this year.I also found black lights (ultra violet) quite helpful...I found that out when i drove trucks and had some in the cab as background light at night and noticed my mood was often better .....simething else i need to buy lol.
    I think really i just need to move to Italy

I do! Apparently you can buy lamps, don't know if they work though :/

I do. Working inside in a windowless factory doesn't help either. I get out at the weekend as much as possible and try and keep busy and motivated with planned trips.

The trouble is, you think you have time.

Heavenly Creature
    Vitamim D3 , not the holland and barret shit, but proper stuff with a high dosage
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    It's the rain that gets me. I really just use the van as a bedroom, and transport. Putting together some web sites is useful, because I can do that in a restaurant. I'm also teaching myself PHP at last, so I can download some tutorials, and look at those in the van.

Keeping busy, and keeping an active mind gets me through the dull days.
    View my picture galleries at http://JazzPics.com

Transcending
    Ive always resisted the drugs angle...i never wanted to become dependent on them.It was bad enough on opiate painkillers -which i stopped as they were making me worse mentally.I f i can get outdoors walking im usually ok.I was thinking of getting a lightbox but its just more clutter i dont have room for so i may get some blue led lights as blue is supposed to be the key trigger....its all pretty complicated from.my angle as having irlen syndrome lighting snd colours can clash and have quite significant subliminal effects on my mood.....if you can imagine the text youre reading now seemingly floating above the page and shifts as you move your eyes thsts whst i have all the time reading or on a pc and depending on colours and backgrounds can be worse or better....needless to ssy that puts me in a bad mood and gives me migrsines.so i have to limit time on devices.If i get tired and theres bright lights on i get visual issues then too....so i thought id get some of those led string lights in different colours and expetiment on.lighting this year.I also found black lights (ultra violet) quite helpful...I found that out when i drove trucks and had some in the cab as background light at night and noticed my mood was often better .....simething else i need to buy lol.
    I think really i just need to move to Italy

Moving abroad would probably help! I think I'd be happier somewhere with more light throughout the year. Cold doesn't bother me, it's the grey days that I struggle with.

It must be exhausting having those sorts of sensory difficulties, Nomadic; I know my son can get really tired just from being somewhere noisy or someone talking to him too much It's one of those hidden things, isn't it, other people don't realise how much extra work you have to do to do something they find really easy.

I'm lucky that I've never found anti-d's addictive. With me it's usually been the opposite; I find the side effects so bad that I come off them fairly quickly again. I did come to the conclusion that they've been prescribed to me before in too high a dose and I also think my hormones are a big factor. Fortunately I have a GP who actually listens to me at the moment and she suggested the mini pill for my hormones, which seemed to help settle them down quite quickly, and then we've added a very low dose anti-depressant and I have to say I feel better at the moment than I have done for years.

There's quite a lot now about light therapy, isn't there, but I'm not very up on all the research and new things they've found over the years.

Heavenly Creature
    Moving abroad would probably help!
    Yes, somewhere with more sunny days, lower humidity, affordable and good neighbours.

My friends and acquaintances have suggested Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, Botswana, NZ, Australia, and Libya. Not sure how I upset that last one.

This has been on my mind for years, but hasn't happened, so I think it is one of those tricks played by my lazy mind to avoid work.

I used to wonder about SAD. Another trick of my lazy mind, as a change of routine proved a few years back. My advice would be - do something about it, something busy like spending more time outside and something serious like meditation. Occupy the space between regrets for past things and fear of future things, and enjoy every minute. IMO, IME, YMMV.

Moving abroad would probably help! I think I'd be happier somewhere with more light throughout the year. Cold doesn't bother me, it's the grey days that I struggle with.

It must be exhausting having those sorts of sensory difficulties, Nomadic; I know my son can get really tired just from being somewhere noisy or someone talking to him too much It's one of those hidden things, isn't it, other people don't realise how much extra work you have to do to do something they find really easy.

I'm lucky that I've never found anti-d's addictive. With me it's usually been the opposite; I find the side effects so bad that I come off them fairly quickly again. I did come to the conclusion that they've been prescribed to me before in too high a dose and I also think my hormones are a big factor. Fortunately I have a GP who actually listens to me at the moment and she suggested the mini pill for my hormones, which seemed to help settle them down quite quickly, and then we've added a very low dose anti-depressant and I have to say I feel better at the moment than I have done for years.

There's quite a lot now about light therapy, isn't there, but I'm not very up on all the research and new things they've found over the years.

No..Its not the wet or cold of winter that affects me either...its the wall to wall grey and so short days...as i said the snow and blue sky spells are a welcome relief.I definitely think moving abroad would help but im not doing anything rash now brexit is on the horizon.I may move to Scotland by the sea i can deal better with the winter gloom when im on the coast.Theres usually some snow too so that will help lol

The visual issues are tedious but ive had it so long im used to it and cope with it...its all the typos i get annoyed with or missing whole words or half sentences out (i think.ive typed what im thinking and i havent so i have to check and check again)..i have similar issues with hearing like your son seems to have ...I have perfect hearing but i cant tell what people saying if theres a noisy bsckground or tv is on when people are talking...its called Audio Processing Disorder agsin its related to dyslexia....conversation sounds garbled and nonsensical... it means im often asking people to repeat and then often people just say 'oh doesnt matter firget it' which really annoys me so all in all the concentration required is very wearisome....being tired because of concentrating and getting frustrated makes me quite susceptible to depression....not acute but enough to lose the motivation to do stuff very easily.
    I can understand frim your boys perspective it must wear him out and frustrate him..i know when i was in my teens i had a terrible temper what with these issues (undiagnosed at the time) being regsrded as a dunce and idiot by father teachers and peers and being bullied so i wasnt in a great place in.life.I lesrned to cope with it in.my own way
    Ive alwsys kept mega busy through vsrious sporting activites etc which i found helps and my dog kept me on the go too the last 8 yesrs but not having her this winter is going to be an extra challenge.

As i said i refused anti-d s even when i had counselling for PTSD from career events. I had an awful time on opiates after i fid my back.in and it took 3 yesrs to get fully off them and into some kind of 'normal' state so im really not about to try any more kinds of drug therapy now.
    Being into buddhism ive found meditation very helpful for relieving the tension from concentration...its tsken the place of much of the relief i previously got from.sporting activity which ive had to cut back on.

Ive only recently started to look more deeply into colour and light therapy because im terribly cynical about a lot of modern mainstream medicine,having read some of the research its quite interesting..definitely something ill pursue.
    Im also reviving my interest in the traditional remedies and therapies of native American culture which i was first introduced to by a Shoshone guy who stayed with us a few years ago.
    All in sll i should have enougj things occupying my mind to keep the dreaded SAD at bay.
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Transcending
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    I do! Apparently you can buy lamps, don't know if they work though :/

A lamp helped me, Lightbringer, although it was a while ago now so I can't remember the details but it might be worth doing a bit of research to see if it might help a bit? x

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT;1509522.[COLOR=#000000
    .I have perfect hearing but i cant tell what people saying if theres a noisy bsckground or tv is on when people are talking...its called Audio Processing Disorder agsin its related to dyslexia....conversation sounds garbled and nonsensical.. [/COLOR]
    I thought I was the only person in the world to have this, but I never knew that it was an actual recognized thing.......I annoy the hell outta friends as if there is a radio on and a conversation going Im lost.... Im numerically Dyslexic and have trouble remembering phone numbers as numbers mean nowt and also my pin number (if they ever move the numbers around on a keypad im screwed as i remember the pattern not the numbers)
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Transcending
    No..Its not the wet or cold of winter that affects me either...its the wall to wall grey and so short days...as i said the snow and blue sky spells are a welcome relief.I definitely think moving abroad would help but im not doing anything rash now brexit is on the horizon.I may move to Scotland by the sea i can deal better with the winter gloom when im on the coast.Theres usually some snow too so that will help lol

The visual issues are tedious but ive had it so long im used to it and cope with it...its all the typos i get annoyed with or missing whole words or half sentences out (i think.ive typed what im thinking and i havent so i have to check and check again)..i have similar issues with hearing like your son seems to have ...I have perfect hearing but i cant tell what people saying if theres a noisy bsckground or tv is on when people are talking...its called Audio Processing Disorder agsin its related to dyslexia....conversation sounds garbled and nonsensical... it means im often asking people to repeat and then often people just say 'oh doesnt matter firget it' which really annoys me so all in all the concentration required is very wearisome....being tired because of concentrating and getting frustrated makes me quite susceptible to depression....not acute but enough to lose the motivation to do stuff very easily.
    I can understand frim your boys perspective it must wear him out and frustrate him..i know when i was in my teens i had a terrible temper what with these issues (undiagnosed at the time) being regsrded as a dunce and idiot by father teachers and peers and being bullied so i wasnt in a great place in.life.I lesrned to cope with it in.my own way
    Ive alwsys kept mega busy through vsrious sporting activites etc which i found helps and my dog kept me on the go too the last 8 yesrs but not having her this winter is going to be an extra challenge.

As i said i refused anti-d s even when i had counselling for PTSD from career events. I had an awful time on opiates after i fid my back.in and it took 3 yesrs to get fully off them and into some kind of 'normal' state so im really not about to try any more kinds of drug therapy now.
    Being into buddhism ive found meditation very helpful for relieving the tension from concentration...its tsken the place of much of the relief i previously got from.sporting activity which ive had to cut back on.

Ive only recently started to look more deeply into colour and light therapy because im terribly cynical about a lot of modern mainstream medicine,having read some of the research its quite interesting..definitely something ill pursue.
    Im also reviving my interest in the traditional remedies and therapies of native American culture which i was first introduced to by a Shoshone guy who stayed with us a few years ago.
    All in sll i should have enougj things occupying my mind to keep the dreaded SAD at bay.

There are so many different treatments and therapies about now it is hard to know what might be useful and what isn't. I do find doing all the research very tiring and it's always difficult to know how reliable the source is. I have tried so many different things over the years, for myself and my son, and we have got to a bit of a point now where I know for myself whether I can dig myself out of a hole or whether I need a bit of help. I think the fact that his health has been so bad this year has left me too worn out and depleted before winter really sets in. I can understand drugs not being something you'd want to try; I've had bad experiences in the past just from side effects being awful and doctors refusing to listen (all drugs have side effects). It's a bit like saying "all cars break down"; it's true, but you want one that doesn't (or at least not very often).

It's horrible when kids are labelled stupid, lazy, can't be bothered and so on. One of the reasons I've taught my son at home is because I don't like the way they're judged to be either ahead, behind or on target. He is who he is, and as far as I'm concerned being happy in yourself and having good self esteem are such an important part of getting on in life (and I say that as someone who grew up with zero self esteem and lots of unhappiness!) that having to sacrifice those things in order to get the right grades just isn't on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    I thought I was the only person in the world to have this, but I never knew that it was an actual recognized thing.......I annoy the hell outta friends as if there is a radio on and a conversation going Im lost.... Im numerically Dyslexic and have trouble remembering phone numbers as numbers mean nowt and also my pin number (if they ever move the numbers around on a keypad im screwed as i remember the pattern not the numbers)
    Dyslexia is quite a complex problem and not everyone has the same issues although there are commonalities.Technically in its crude form referred to word blindness...you know whst you wsnt to ssy or write but csnt 'see' the word /s you need or theyll be floating around in a jumble....I often set off.thinking through sentences and typing them but when i re read the passsge half the words or sentences or letters are missing..I dont find autocorrect facilities are useful either since they tend to fill in with words based on half of something ive typed and its often filled in with the wrong word so making even.less sense so i tend not to use the autocorrect.
    When im not tired i dont miss out many words or letters but as i get tired it gets worse.If im tired and talking about something i can.just run into a brick wsll i cant find tge words to finish the sentence..it pees me off when people finish it for me and guess wrong which throws me off track.

I can remember whole sequences of long numbers no problem but i oftrn cant remember.peoples names who ive known yesrs...ill start writing their birthday card and stsnd staring for ages because i cant see their name in my hesd...Ironicslly though ive got a photographic memory.I can look at entire pages and memorise it and write it down later nigh on perfect...along with a few other weird mental abilities.

Irlen syndrome or Scotopic Sensitivity syndrome is also in the dyslexia spectrum..it ususlly manifests as words seemingly floating above the page surface and is very dependent on font and background colour differences..Yellows and reds on white are worst for me ie your cst avatar without my filter turned on is floating like a 3D icon above the background.But other combinations of colours can be a nuisance.too pink and grey ..yellow.on blue.It can make reading books and websites difficult.

APD auditory processing disorder usually affects children but can persist into adulthood.Ive always had exceptionsl hesring but trying to understand someine tslkingvto me if theres a tv or rsdio or pub conversation going on in the background its all gobbledygook....so i tend to switch off.People think im.being rude or ignorant but its either that or smile and nod in the right places and hope no one expects an answer.

Dyspraxia is also another part of dyslexia spectrum issues and normally affects young children ..its poorly developed hsnd/eye cordination which usually corrects itself but can persist in mild firm into adulthood.
    I was completely hopeless as a young child at any kind of ball games..Im still pretty hopeless at catching things thrown to.me if i know and have to think consciously about it.but If people throw a ball at me and dont tell me and is in my field of vision ill instinctively catch it.

A lot of people are affected by dyslexic issues and dont even know.I didnt know until i was in my 20's and a chsnce conversation with a doctor i worked with and went for assessments. Even my service docs hadnt picked it up.All the problens id had t to desl with hrough my younger ife to thst point id just assumed everyone had and i wss just not terribly good at stuff.
    It all made sense afterwards.Back in 60's though no body bothered with tests fir dyslexia .I was just labelled slow stupid clumsy thick caggy hsnded etc and bulliedbto desth for it...though i still msnsged to leave school with 8 O and 3 A levels so not as 'thick' as they assumed.

Have you had your hearing issue sll your life? are there any other things ypu have thst are similar to anything ive written about ?

Hearing thing as long as I can remember. Labeled hyperactive and a pita at school but I coukd read at ten year old or higher level when went to school. I actually had a readers digest with me at 5 yrs old n teacher thought I was looking at the pictures. Lol
    Left school without taking exams as a spite to the wankers. They sudden realised I wasn't thick when I got 99% 97 % on most of my mock exam results.

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hygge

I wss alwsys good at spotting patterns in sermingly rsndom chaos. or differences or things missing from pictures (spot the difference type pics)My mums ftirend wsd a teacher and she had an eleven plus test she gsve my mum to look at and i did it whrn i was 7 and got tt all right and mums tescher friend swore my dad had done it .
    I eas actually rubbish right through school played truant and got banned from school for a month for hospitalising one of my tormentors after i finally lost my rag and i was tokd i was a disgrace to the school etc etc and consistently got D or E for my work...then decided i needed quals to get a job and passed all my O levels to tge shock of evetyone and went in to do my A levels and then buggered off to london.

Sounds like you have APD and im guessing had whst they now label ADHD attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/auditor...roduction.aspx

SAD here absolutely.

I don't manage it. Every time I try circumstances switch and leave me in an even larger hole.

Transcending
    I suffered SAD for 15yrs, took all the tablets and different therapy 's, I also suffered depression too, but not for 8yrs now, (other than my partner leaving after 22 yrs) the only change has been, is that I'm outside 80% of the year, naked when warm enough lol. The inner solar panels charge up and keep me going for those 4 dark week, I think. X

The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

I am totally convinced that SAD is a perfectly natural Human biological reaction to adverse weather/ climate conditions. Don't think of it as a disorder, think of it (positively) as the way your body has evolved to cope with the harsh Northern European winters.

Not that many years back our ancestors stored up their food and firewood and retreated to their huts to "try" and survive the winter. And try was the key word, if they got it wrong they died. It was tough, in the top of Scotland they were locked down for nearly six months of the year and they slept it out.

We are decended from the survivors, people whose metabolisms were able to go into a near hibernation during the worst of the weather to conserve food and resources. By sleeping.

The fact that we don't need that ability today is an inconvenience but recognise it as a positive evolutionary trait and don't get depressed about it. If your ancestors didn't have it you wouldn't be here today!

Accept it for what it was
    Last edited by Bernie; 25-10--2016 at 11:55 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: yazz

Only just over a month to go and the days start getting longer again.
    After a minor stroke last winter,i was given a Sun lamp (fluorescent type,cheap to run) and it does help.
    As said above,try to keep active,warm and fueled.
    Be strong Hippies

The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

Turning On
    I get SAD, mainly when it's wet and grey for days on end as I work outside and I just feel trapped and bored out my mind
    I wish we had cold frosty clear days I don't mind that at all or snow as someone else said because it's brighter