Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building a static website without using a CMS

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by wobblyjim
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hola,
    Do you do commissions ? I'd like to set up a blog, to be up-datable while I'm travelling, more like a diary type format with pictures and possibly short video clits.

I could do it myself but I'm running out of time and I don't want to delay my escape.

Ta James
    video clits ?
    Freudian slip there, I was just reading another thread, must have lodged in my consciousness.

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    Sorry Jim - I am so far behind with my stuff, that I wouldn't be reliable.

I am sure there are other members here who are better than me anyway.
    Alternatively, you could have a go and start a thread here, several of us would be happy to help I am sure.
    View my picture galleries at http://JazzPics.com

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by EnglishLens
    Sorry Jim - I am so far behind with my stuff, that I wouldn't be reliable.

I am sure there are other members here who are better than me anyway.
    Alternatively, you could have a go and start a thread here, several of us would be happy to help I am sure.
    cash job

Heavenly Creature
    I'm looking for a turn key solution, but no problem, I can probably sort it out during the time spent loafing by the med.

It's not too hard -

Find a decent domain name - probably the hardest part.
    Sort out some free hosting
    Install WordPress using Softaculous
    Change the template
    Add a few plugins - Google analytics for example
    Start posting.

Originally Posted by EnglishLens
    How are you guys getting on with this thread - do you think it may be useful?
    Oh yes...if i understood a word of it
    Ive built loads of sites but ive always used WYSIWYG type site builders .I found Russian easier to learn than html and java.

Ive just decided to have another go over winter and downloaded some interactive code learning apps for my phone off of google playstore so maybe reading your posts and the apps together it might start to make sense

Last edited by NomadicRT; 25-10--2016 at 03:42 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Well good luck if you are going to do it via a mobile. I gave up trying with the Chromebook.

Have a look at some of those videos by Eli the computer guy. I think he's quite good, even if he is a bit slow.

This is taking a lot longer than I thought, but it's really interesting. I've added a load of bee and honey links to the footer.

I'll probably make a campaign page to try to save bees next. There are some quite worrying things going on that result in the death of bees. Legal action by pesticide manufacturers is just one of the problems. Bees are so important to our survival, that it is mad to try to kill them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I've become a bit distracted and fascinated by bees and their lives. It looks as if I may have done the wrong thing by making this a static site - there is so much information and potential in this topic. I'll go with it for a while, and maybe think about putting it into a cms later.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Noobie
    Nice work and good walk through on creating a site, give me a shout if i can help although I'm an asp man rather than php