THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Nature trail

Nature trail

So it's the school holidays and again I'm broke
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    so there's a huge wood only a couple of fields away from my house and I thought well it's free, I'll make a nature trail, they are 4 and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas to make it more exciting than saying "oh look, a leaf" or any other free things I can do ideas will be much appreciated, we've found all the geocaches in the area so can do that.

Make a den

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Markrob
    Make a den
    There's not enough wood on the ground to :/ might make a dam in the beck, not done that in years!

Me and my lad spend hours on the land making dens, following tracks etc all we need is a penknife and a stick and the possibilities are endless .

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    There's not enough wood on the ground to :/ might make a dam in the beck, not done that in years!
    Dams are good

Originally Posted by Markrob
    Me and my lad spend hours on the land making dens, following tracks etc all we need is a penknife and a stick and the possibilities are endless .
    I'm probably not safe with a penknife, I've stapled my own finger with a staple gun and stabbed myself in the eye with a screw driver imagine what I could do with a pen knife
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, GivingItThought

Bark rubbings, woodland floor art/pictures ~ using leaves, twigs etc.
    Make a Journey stick ~ give each kid a length of wool. Each kid finds a stick. As they walk through the wood, they tie things like feathers, leaves, moss to the stick, this can then be read back like a book. Ask the child to talk about the journey stick and the things tied to it after the walk.
    Find some large pebbles, paint symbols, faces, animals on them. Take the pebbles into the woods and leave a pebble trail for you kids to find or paint them with your kids for the public to find.

Investigate, trees/shrubs ~ fruit, seeds, nuts & leaf. Collect in the woods. Take home and learn from books or computer lol. Try to identify what type/species they are? What method each tree uses seed dispersal? Wind, animal/ bird ingestion, animal fur/feather or hair transportation, etc.
    Try to name one animal or bird that would be attracted to or used by each tree/shrub for seed dispersal.

Collect a selection of tree seeds, take them home, sow & grow them on in pots. Take saplings back to the wood & plant out same time next year.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, GivingItThought, Lightbringer

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Bark rubbings, woodland floor art/pictures ~ using leaves, twigs etc.
    Make a Journey stick ~ give each kid a length of wool. Each kid finds a stick. As they walk through the wood, they tie things like feathers, leaves, moss to the stick, this can then be read back like a book. Ask the child to talk about the journey stick and the things tied to it after the walk.
    Find some large pebbles, paint symbols, faces, animals on them. Take the pebbles into the woods and leave a pebble trail for you kids to find or paint them with your kids for the public to find.

Investigate, trees/shrubs ~ fruit, seeds, nuts & leaf. Collect in the woods. Take home and learn from books or computer lol. Try to identify what type/species they are? What method each tree uses seed dispersal? Wind, animal/ bird ingestion, animal fur/feather or hair transportation, etc.
    Try to name one animal or bird that would be attracted to or used by each tree/shrub for seed dispersal.

Collect a selection of tree seeds, take them home, sow & grow them on in pots. Take saplings back to the wood & plant out same time next year.
    Fantastic!! Thank you

Make little pixie doors from cardboard and get the kids to colour them, then find trees to put them on, a thumbtack or two wont do any long term damage to the base of a tree

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, yazz

Transcending
    Nature bracelet is similar to the journey stick idea (which I love the sound of!); length of sticky tape around the wrist, sticky side out and stick on leaves, moss, seeds or whatever else is lying around.

Who can find - an acorn, a conker, an oak leaf, a piece of moss, a mushroom etc etc.

Nature painting - gather up things to paint with instead of brushes - leaves, moss, twigs and so on, also leaf printing.

Creature making - conkers, acorns, small twigs you can glue together to make little people or animals, moss for hair, clothes out of leaves etc.

Scrap books - we used to do loads when my son was little, stick in things you've found, draw things you've found, write a little story (you might have to do the writing if they're not writing yet).

Practising writing in the dirt with sticks (I taught my son to write that way because he couldn't hold a pen).

Outdoor story telling - either take books with you or take turns making up a story about something you've picked up or seen whilst out. Also that 'what else could it be' game - so a leaf becomes a boat, an acorn can be a hedgehog, moss becomes a giant's eyebrow, use those to make up stories. Also good chance to practise describing things and talking about size, weight, colour, what does it do and so on.

Cloud gazing - what shapes do they make, what can you see in them. You could go on a little night-time walk as it's dark early now and star gaze for a while. Could all dress up as fairies and go and pretend to be fairies for the afternoon as well

I miss doing all this with my boy! I want to come, too

Originally Posted by GivingItThought
    Nature bracelet is similar to the journey stick idea (which I love the sound of!); length of sticky tape around the wrist, sticky side out and stick on leaves, moss, seeds or whatever else is lying around.

Who can find - an acorn, a conker, an oak leaf, a piece of moss, a mushroom etc etc.

Nature painting - gather up things to paint with instead of brushes - leaves, moss, twigs and so on, also leaf printing.

Creature making - conkers, acorns, small twigs you can glue together to make little people or animals, moss for hair, clothes out of leaves etc.

Scrap books - we used to do loads when my son was little, stick in things you've found, draw things you've found, write a little story (you might have to do the writing if they're not writing yet).

Practising writing in the dirt with sticks (I taught my son to write that way because he couldn't hold a pen).

Outdoor story telling - either take books with you or take turns making up a story about something you've picked up or seen whilst out. Also that 'what else could it be' game - so a leaf becomes a boat, an acorn can be a hedgehog, moss becomes a giant's eyebrow, use those to make up stories. Also good chance to practise describing things and talking about size, weight, colour, what does it do and so on.

Cloud gazing - what shapes do they make, what can you see in them. You could go on a little night-time walk as it's dark early now and star gaze for a while. Could all dress up as fairies and go and pretend to be fairies for the afternoon as well

I miss doing all this with my boy! I want to come, too

thank you and you would be very welcome! None of my friends will come, they wouldn't want to get muddy or risk breaking a nail lol

Dams are really absorbing fun.There are bugs under stones,mud to squish.Is there a wildlife club near you?You could put up a notice in the local post office...."Childrens nature ramble all welcome bring picnic".....Choose an off road walk with a picnic place not far away.see who turns up.Network.If no one does then what have you lost?Make sure you put accompanied only to stop mums dumping kids off for the day ,lest you end up with a pack of 11 year old terrors.

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Last edited by cricket; 24-10--2016 at 12:49 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

What a beautiful inspired idea.You old softie.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Make little pixie doors from cardboard and get the kids to colour them, then find trees to put them on, a thumbtack or two wont do any long term damage to the base of a tree

The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot

Will do this thank you
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by cricket
    Dams are really absorbing fun.There are bugs under stones,mud to squish.Is there a wildlife club near you?You could put up a notice in the local post office...."Childrens nature ramble all welcome bring picnic".....Choose an off road walk with a picnic place not far away.see who turns up.Network.If no one does then what have you lost?Make sure you put accompanied only to stop mums dumping kids off for the day ,lest you end up with a pack of 11 year old terrors.
    Ooo great idea thank you
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Collect stuff for collages etc for study or crafts at a later date,make fairy dens,teeny weeny ones,bug hotels (bundles of twigs etc and hang from trees for over wintering insects,sit and listen to the sounds of nature,its not all visual or tactile...have fun xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer