THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting an online shop

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Shroom
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wonder if it would be good for a USB coffee warmer ?

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    For anyone thinking of starting a shop - the following domain names are unregistered.

HippyArts.com
    HippyBits.com
    HippyBuys.com
    HippyMall.com
    HippyFinds.com
    HippyGoods.com

and many others.
    View my picture galleries at http://JazzPics.com
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, ursus

We have decided on a name for our new online business and I am going to be buying up the domain names and setting up hosting over the next week or so. I have a job away from my normal business next week so I will not be able to do as much as I would like but it should go a long way towards the 1000 investment in new equipment I need to spend to get the new business off the ground.

We will have a website and ultimately we will be selling directly from the website but to start off we will be selling on ebay.

As soon as we have the domains and a holding page we will let you know.

We cannot actually begin producing anything until we can afford the new equipment but we will be using this time to do research, startd producing the artwork needed and setting up a facebook page and other social media stuff.

The new business will run alongside our existing business and both will benefit from each other so hopfully it will be a success

Time will tell

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, nicklincs, Rick69, ThreeMoons, ursus

Originally Posted by aman
    We have decided on a name for our new online business and I am going to be buying up the domain names and setting up hosting over the next week or so. I have a job away from my normal business next week so I will not be able to do as much as I would like but it should go a long way towards the 1000 investment in new equipment I need to spend to get the new business off the ground.

We will have a website and ultimately we will be selling directly from the website but to start off we will be selling on ebay.

As soon as we have the domains and a holding page we will let you know.

We cannot actually begin producing anything until we can afford the new equipment but we will be using this time to do research, startd producing the artwork needed and setting up a facebook page and other social media stuff.

The new business will run alongside our existing business and both will benefit from each other so hopfully it will be a success

Time will tell

Paul
    Good luck with your new venture.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket

OK I really.....really .....really..... Don't want to offend but if it's for sale on 3rd party website.....it is probably available cheaper elsewhere.

Merchants make their markup from bringing the product geographically closer to the end user or offering a niche product/service..... right?.......wrong?

I understand some people understand they are well off enough to feed the merchants and/or appreciate the convenience and are prepared to pay for it but surely the margins don't generally exist if one is going all tax legal.

Supplementary income may help offset poor wages and inflated accommodation costs but surely there is an alternative.

I.e. proper wages and tax breaks for smaller merchants.

Again......please don't take offence.....I get it but my politics don't.

I would find it impossible to be offended by your post. To be honest I didn't even understand it

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, MacMac, NomadicRT

A
    c'mon.....the middle man (traditional merchant) is generally losing ground because of improved global logistics and people sourcing cheaper solutions......

The rusty axe of Marxist philosophy ( and other more contentious sources ) has it that all should do away with the profiteering middle merchant wherever possible because middle merchants remove the influence from the underpaid workers who serve to actually create the product or service.

I have never found a rational argument that can pose a winning argument against the fundamentals of this type of philosophy.
    Last edited by zendaze; 05-11--2016 at 12:02 AM.

Yeah, no

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT

Fall in

We are not using a middle man. We are creating a product and we are selling that product directly to the end user.

Initially we will be using ebay to market our product because it is a way of getting our products out there to the public quickly and with the minimum of investment of time and money.

Paul
    PⒶUL

Good luck with it.

There are numerous reasons for setting up on-line shops apart from the obvious.

One good reason is to profit from your own craftsmanship and abilities.
    One is to de-clutter and get rid of your own surplus stuff.
    Another is to help charity shops to sell surplus items.
    I'm setting up a dvd store which I hope to use to harvest traffic for parked domains
    I've just set up an auction site for selling domain names.

There is always more to the Internet than the obvious.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer, nicklincs

Originally Posted by EnglishLens

This one

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, nicklincs

Good luck with it.

There are numerous reasons for setting up on-line shops apart from the obvious.

One is to de-clutter and get rid of your own surplus stuff.
    Another is to help charity shops to sell surplus items.
    I'm setting up a dvd store which I hope to use to harvest traffic for parked domains
    I've just set up an auction site for selling domain names.

There is always more to the Internet than the obvious.
    Can I pay you to give me internet lessons? I have absolutely no idea

Originally Posted by aman
    Hi all

Jules and I have decided to start an online shop selling printed t-shirts, stickers, mugs etc...
    What sort of things are you going to be producing? Have you got any designs yet, and is it worth hanging on before doing all my xmas shopping?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer

Originally Posted by Rick69
    What sort of things are you going to be producing? Have you got any designs yet, and is it worth hanging on before doing all my xmas shopping?
    I would love to be producing mugs before Christmas but I can't see that happening at the moment. We need to raise the capitol, buy the equipment and learn how to use it before we can start selling mugs.

We do however already produce t-shirts so if you wanted a specific t-shirt just PM me. We don't do any stock designs with the t-shirts as everything is bespoke but we can produce your own designs or just give us an idea of what you want and we will produce a design for you.

The mugs will be mainly stock designs and we will be spending a lot of time over the next few months building up a library of designs

Paul
    PⒶUL

I bought some mugs from a pottery shop in the Cotswolds years ago, they were great. The top was narrower trhan the base. This had two benefits. The drink stayed hot for longer, and the mug was more stable if you were thumping the table. ( don't ask
    ).

I bought some mugs from a pottery shop in the Cotswolds years ago, they were great. The top was narrower trhan the base. This had two benefits. The drink stayed hot for longer, and the mug was more stable if you were thumping the table. ( don't ask
    ).
    if they were like these..yup, i had some, bloody awesome, held 1.25 pints, used to use mine at the Pub, one day the landlord got a pint glas n filled it with water n tipped it in my Mug...
    that was the last time I was allowed to use that for Guinness in his Pub..

I managed a couple years before he figured..........
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer, MacMac, nicklincs, Rick69, ursus

I'll have a t-shirt with uk hippy on
    oooo you could do car stickers then have a spotted thread

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    then have a spotted thread
    -----

Aren't there enough spotted threads here.

-----

Aren't there enough spotted threads here.
    spotted threads dont do your stealth cred much good either..
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

At the moment I'm customising an auction script to sell domain names. I think that there may be another boost to their value as the world economy changes shape in the future. Building an Internet shop on your own domain name seems to be a good way to ensure some income in the future. Some of the free e-commerce scripts are quite good, and they are fairly easy to set up in a few minutes.

I think that there may be another boost to their value as the world economy changes shape in the future.

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

They've made me money in the past, and recently I sold one for $2,000 that had cost me $8 reg fee per year for a couple of years.

where do you sell them? ive got some old ones i dont need anymore.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...