THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Starting an online shop

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    It depends what they are - are they .coms?
    View my picture galleries at http://JazzPics.com

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by EnglishLens
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    It depends what they are - are they .coms?
    You should have replied: on my new domain name auction site!
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Things are moving on with this project. We have bought the domain names and have hosting. I am doing market research and coming up with designs.

I will be building the website over the christmas period and hopefully in January we will have enough money to buy the equipment so we can go into production.

I will post the web address as soon as we have something to show

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Lightbringer, MacMac, nicklincs, Offgrid hero

Hope you do well - look forward to seeing the products --
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

I have put up a
    page for our site so there is something for people to see whilst I build the full e commerce in the background.

I welcome all comments and criticisms

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, MacMac, nicklincs

What would be really useful to me is a mug I can put reminders on, like a black board mug, then the next day when I have my coffee I'll remember

The following users think this post is groovy: aman, MacMac, nicklincs, tworedsquirrels

What would be nice is one with my banking password on because i can never bloody remember it.
    Maybe a slight security issue though....
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer

Originally Posted by aman
    I have put up a
    page for our site so there is something for people to see whilst I build the full e commerce in the background.

Paul
    Great -

Congratulations on getting the site up and running.

Comments are that backgrounds with images [the clouds] distract from the content of the website, and also that it is harder to read the white text on the white cloud.

Hahaha, pinky swear

Mug idea, which I'm sure you've thought of already, but metric to decimal conversion, esp inches to cm.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer, MacMac, nicklincs, nomis

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    Congratulations on getting the site up and running.

Comments are that backgrounds with images [the clouds] distract from the content of the website, and also that it is harder to read the white text on the white cloud.

Hahaha, pinky swear

Mug idea, which I'm sure you've thought of already, but metric to decimal conversion, esp inches to cm.
    Thanks Fire tree

I have upped the opacity of the content box so it should be easier to read now. This is just a coming soon page and has nothing to do with the design of the finished website. The design we are going for is very clean and crisp with no background images.

Yes, we have a conversions mug in the pipeline but please keep any ideas coming. It will ultimately be our customers who lead our designs I think

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac, nomis

That's much easier to read now!

How long to steam vegetables?
    Carrot: 15mins
    Broccoli: 10mins
    etc
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nomis

I have never used QR codes before - wonder if these could be printed on a mug.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Originally Posted by MacMac
    I have never used QR codes before - wonder if these could be printed on a mug.
    Yes, we can print QR codes on a mug

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: MacMac

Best of luck with your venture!

That's great news that you are starting an online shop. I've also opened an online shop 2 months ago via etsy and eBay making/selling baby shower gifts however I'm really struggling to get orders.

Has anyone got any tips for us online shop newbies regarding how to attract a larger audience and increase sales?

Any advice would be a huge help as I really want to work for myself ❤

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Free.spirit
    That's great news that you are starting an online shop. I've also opened an online shop 2 months ago via etsy and eBay making/selling baby shower gifts however I'm really struggling to get orders.

Has anyone got any tips for us online shop newbies regarding how to attract a larger audience and increase sales?

try changing your product range and/or sell something else.

Any advice would be a huge help as I really want to work for myself
    Do you have Facebook? There is an etsy sellers group on it, you will get loads of help if you ask

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Do you have Facebook? There is an etsy sellers group on it, you will get loads of help if you ask
    Brilliant! Thanks Lightbringer I'll see if I can locate the group 😀

In terms of the products I may need to extend the age range so that can attract more buyers
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by aman
    I have put up a

Paul
    How do you safeguard your product idea from being copied by competition or others? I have friends who have made unique designs in bushcraft gear. They can't patent the equipment or tools, but they are putting them up online via their own sites and finding one sale is leading to a full copied production line in various colours for sale online and made in China. When addressing the new sellers in China, they find they have no legs to stand on. Not only that but the stuff made in China is inferior in quality and feedback is not helping my friends ( the original makers/designers) win customers or orders. Some have managed to trace UK based middlemen and companies involved and gone door knocking. The stress and expense of chasing leads is enough to put most designer/makers off perusing the offenders.
    My mate is a British artist and makes stage backdrops for bands. In 2000 he launched his own business, built a website. Had stationary, pens, cards etc printed up. Then he was contacted from the Hells Angles in the USA. They kindly told him so change his logo and name. It just happened to be the same as the tattoo business the Helks Angles owned. He did stop trading under that name. I still have some of his pens to this day.
    Do you buy ideas? For mugs etc? Here's one for free. If you can get in with a auctioneer franchise. You could supply printed mugs with large bidder numbers on mugs instead of paddles. Then the franchise could market teas and coffee during the auction. When you register to buy, you pick up a mug with the number for that auction that day. When you buy your mug is all you need to secure transaction. Hold it up be counted. Nowt like having a cuppa when pondering on what to buy next!
    Good luck with the venture. Paul. Vistaprint have done well out of mug printing.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    What would be really useful to me is a mug I can put reminders on, like a black board mug, then the next day when I have my coffee I'll remember
    There is a chalk paint sold by this company
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

You can advertise on preloved and gumtree free of charge too
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    How do you safeguard your product idea from being copied by competition or others? I have friends who have made unique designs in bushcraft gear. They can't patent the equipment or tools, but they are putting them up online via their own sites and finding one sale is leading to a full copied production line in various colours for sale online and made in China. When addressing the new sellers in China, they find they have no legs to stand on. Not only that but the stuff made in China is inferior in quality and feedback is not helping my friends ( the original makers/designers) win customers or orders. Some have managed to trace UK based middlemen and companies involved and gone door knocking. The stress and expense of chasing leads is enough to put most designer/makers off perusing the offenders.
    My mate is a British artist and makes stage backdrops for bands. In 2000 he launched his own business, built a website. Had stationary, pens, cards etc printed up. Then he was contacted from the Hells Angles in the USA. They kindly told him so change his logo and name. It just happened to be the same as the tattoo business the Helks Angles owned. He did stop trading under that name. I still have some of his pens to this day.
    Do you buy ideas? For mugs etc? Here's one for free. If you can get in with a auctioneer franchise. You could supply printed mugs with large bidder numbers on mugs instead of paddles. Then the franchise could market teas and coffee during the auction. When you register to buy, you pick up a mug with the number for that auction that day. When you buy your mug is all you need to secure transaction. Hold it up be counted. Nowt like having a cuppa when pondering on what to buy next!
    Good luck with the venture. Paul. Vistaprint have done well out of mug printing.
    Ive had that experience with pretty much everything ive made.I used to make stained glass items and terrariums until i walked into tk maxx and saw a shelf full of them for a tenth of the price it cost me to make them.
    I used to make house signs and turn wooden bowls and do lots of pyrogrsphy table mat sets etc but you go in any DIY superstore and find an aisle full....i decided it was pretty much pointless making things thst could easily be copied and mass produced.If you make things with your own brand they copy that too so everyone is fooled.
    I used to have a good income friom my photography but got fed up of finding my images being used by London ad agencies in brochures without my permission or credit or paying me that theyd blatantly stolen from my website so I closed it down.I took one to court and got compensation but its just too much hassle to chase everyone
    I was in an army surplus place a while back and he sells Mora knives and the guy told me theres been counterfeit copies hawked round.

I think about the only thing you can do these days is make unique one off bespoke items to commission.If theyre good,word will get around and youll get further orders and you make everything unique in look.or design....and whatever you do dont ever put a cstalogue of your finest work online because everything will be copied for sure.Tis a bit of a b'stard not being able to churn things out that you know will sell easily but its not much point doing it if your items are going to be copied in China or India and sold in competition with your own goods.The advantage of making unique quality items though is you can ask a premium for them and if people like the quality theyll pay the price you ask and you can take longer making them perfect or in being a bit creative. with the finish.Thats all im going to do in future is -one offs and to order only.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...