THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question. Decent wood chiesel set for carving puppet heads.

Question. Decent wood chiesel set for carving puppet heads.

I am after a quality set of chiesels either set or indiviual ones which come pre sharpened as I have read not all do.
    If indiviuals what are the main ones I would need. I presume palm chiesel set for main work and bigger ones for the first stage.
    I will be carving heads for glove puppets from about a four inch block ( I think thats the size ).
    I done a small amount of carving at a local workshop but was long ago and forgotten the names and makes of chiesels.
    Not sure of budget but would like to keep below 100 for now maybe secondhand but ebay confuses me with all the sets from 3.00 to 300 and all those inbetween, been a few decades since I used chiesels.
    Can even flog me yours if any of you got any
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

many thanks

Sex
    Male
    Ashley Iles make very good tools. They also offer a free resharpening/re-grinding service. You provide a prepaid addressed, stamped envelope and post your chisels to them. Even if you want advise on starter tools/kits to buy. Just give them a call. I was invited to their very small/workshop/factory. They gave me personal lessons on re-grinding/sharpening their tools.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou for that alices wonderland, will look them up now. Gives me something to do before alarm clock goes off for work 😊

Sex
    Male
    How much are Marples ones these days? I have had a set for over 30 years and they have been good to me.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    Ashley Iles make very good tools. They also offer a free resharpening/re-grinding service. You provide a prepaid addressed, stamped envelope and post your chisels to them. Even if you want advise on starter tools/kits to buy. Just give them a call. I was invited to their very small/workshop/factory. They gave me personal lessons on re-grinding/sharpening their tools.
    They look very nice chisels, and not so expensive , but what are they like for opening tins of gloss paint and stirring it ?
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    They look very nice chisels, and not so expensive , but what are they like for opening tins of gloss paint and stirring it ?
    not as good as they are for removing set concrete from my barrow n shovel
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Sex
    Male

There as good as any I've found ma.

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Good for breaking seal on tractor tyre too.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Good for breaking seal on tractor tyre too.
    Ah ! thats where I have been going wrong , I have been trying with spoons but they keep bending
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Female
    Great thing about using a chisel to stir paint , is it is really good for stopping them go rusty .

Sex
    Male
    My Grandfather was a cabinet maker...he would turn if he knew the abuse his asshole brother gave his tools after he died, opening tins, leaving tools outside, he killed a mans lifetimes collection of tools inside 6 months
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    My Grandfather was a cabinet maker...he would turn if he knew the abuse his asshole brother gave his tools after he died, opening tins, leaving tools outside, he killed a mans lifetimes collection of tools inside 6 months
    Thats a great shame.I still have a few of my grandads tools , but I lost a lot of them over the 40 years I have had them due to a few unfortunate happenings .

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Great thing about using a chisel to stir paint , is it is really good for stopping them go rusty .
    Chipping rock hsrd concrete off my old spade with a nice sharp chisel gets rid of the rust nicely
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    I grab any decent tools I can find at the boot fairs as the steel on the old tools hold their edges a lot better than a lot of modern ones.
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: milly, wobblyjim, WREKAGE

Sex
    Male
    Good old secondhand tools fetch good money. EBay is a good place to look at old chisel prices. Don't bid, monitor and get yourself a good deal when you can. Carboots are a good place and you can pick up a bargain. But these days with tool traders doing the rounds. They tend to buy to sell on.
    I like Ashley isles because sharpening tools is a skill in its own right. Putting a edge back on is easy. After time you change the angles and post them back. They return them good as new, ready for honing.

If I thought you could get the (good) old chisels you need, with relative ease and not pay the earth for them, I would say go down that route.

Sex
    Male
    Milly, i got a set of wooden handled chisels in a box of shite that i bought from the auction the other week for a couple of bits i wanted.

IIRC they are a bit rusty, i chucked them in the garage. If you are interested ill dig them out, see if i can see any name on them and post a pic. If they are any good to you, then cover postage and maybe a forum donation and they are yours.
    The following users think this post is groovy: milly, Sootyfoot

Nice one Rick 69, that would be great. Many thanks

Sex
    Male
    Sorry, can't see any names. Heres a quick pic, ill take them to work tomorrow and see if taking some of the muck off reveals owt. Ill also weigh them to get an idea of postage.

Thanks for that, catch up tomorrow 😊

Sex
    Female
    Nice chisels , but are they not wood turning chisels , the handles look more to be held than struck ? Or are they wood carving chisels

Sex
    Male

Nice chisels , but are they not wood turning chisels , the handles look more to be held than struck ? Or are they wood carving chisels
    Absolutely no idea. To me they are more use as paint stirrers as has already been suggested! However, if they are of any use to anyone and milly doesnt want them then form an orderly queue.

If theres loads of interest perhaps ill set up a blog and an auction site to get rid of them. Oh wait, wrong thread....
    The following users think this post is groovy: milly

Sex
    Female
    I hope they are of use to Milly, I already have a set of wood turning chisels, they are excellent for making saw dust on my lathe
    The following users think this post is groovy: milly

Sex
    Male
    They are turning chisels. Not much use for carving . You can remove wood with them though. The ground cutting angles are all different as they are designed to contact with wood at a sharp angle unlike a carving chisel. Still hit them with a mallet and you will remove wood.

Sex
    Male
    Weight 2.7 kilo. Postage approx 7 quid with courier or 12 odd tracked with royal mail.