THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Table restoration (woodworm)

Sex
    Female

Table restoration (woodworm)

I've a gorgeous pine drop leaf table that I'm going to sand down then paint it.
    it has a small bit of woodworm,
    I've got the woodworm treatment stuff.
    My question is do I cover the whole table or do I just put it in the holes visible?

Sex
    Male
    Just put it in the holes. Watch again next year. Signs of powdery dust are a sign you may still have it. Usually the holes are empty and old. But it doesn't hurt to treat each hole.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sex
    Male
    Personally if it were mine id treat the holes, then stick it in a big plastic bag in the garage or somewhere, empty a can of aerosol woodworm treatment in the bag and tape it closed for a couple of days.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, ThreeMoons

Sex
    Female
    Ok thanks I'll try both, umm just to find a bag big enough for a table :/

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    You can tape bin bags together until you get a big enough plastic sheet or try to beg/buy some DPM plastic sheet.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    If you intend to paint it , not varnish or some other clear finish , just ram filler down the holes , bit of a sand and lick of paint , happy days , and no chemicals .*

* If your house is timber framed ,check your insurance before following my advice
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    a mix of parafin and beeswax, kills woodworm and fills the holes,warm the two together, brush on leave till tis set and then wipe off excess

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    There are two sorts of woodworm killer, paraffin-based and water-based. The paraffin-based one will stink for years. They are both very toxic, wear plastic or rubber gloves, avoid splashes etc.