THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dentist Phobia.

I'm just looking forward to it being over, I'm trying to imagine already being home, so I don't have a panic attack. Been riding one big wave of anxiety all week.

Thanks though x

Thinking of you, hope it goes better than expected.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nomis

Turning On
    How did it go, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to make an appointment and looking for someone that does sedation i so can go through with it, I was bawling at the last appointment, that was just the initial consultation.

Quote Originally Posted by susie1997 View Post
    How did it go, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to make an appointment and looking for someone that does sedation i so can go through with it, I was bawling at the last appointment, that was just the initial consultation.
    I have to dash off but I can give you some tips later when I get home
    Don't be worrying it will be fine xx

I'm putting my tips on my extraction thread susie.
    Otherwise I start thread robbing & I get in all sorts of trouble
    I've got piles off that naughty step

The initial consultation went well I guess. I cried, a lot, to the point the dentist gave me a hug to try calm me down. They managed to have a look, I need an xray doing, which I'm going for today. I have another appointment on Wednesday, which is for a more thorough look and deciding on treatment, but my dentist offered to refer me for sedation while getting most of the work done, so any cleanings, fillings and extractions I shall be high as a kite. (apparently I cant be sedated for root canal work though, so I'm going to have to work my way up to that.)

So, my first initial appointment was okay, terrifying but okay. They were really nice and encouraging, and gave me some hope that my teeth can rescued.

My first appointment was around £20, and my appointment this week is the same price too. Hopefully they can get more than one thing done per appointment though while I'm sedated, because I'm sure the cost is going to start getting daft with the amount of work that needs doing.

Will keep you updated if you like, and let you know what happens each time I go, in the hope it may help you too, if it makes it less scary for someone, while their teeth are still salvageable, then I'll have least done some good xxx
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, nomis, yazz

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by susie1997 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    I have to dash off but I can give you some tips later when I get home
    Don't be worrying it will be fine xx
    Quote Originally Posted by whitepoppy View Post
    The initial consultation went well I guess. I cried, a lot, to the point the dentist gave me a hug to try calm me down. They managed to have a look, I need an xray doing, which I'm going for today. I have another appointment on Wednesday, which is for a more thorough look and deciding on treatment, but my dentist offered to refer me for sedation while getting most of the work done, so any cleanings, fillings and extractions I shall be high as a kite. (apparently I cant be sedated for root canal work though, so I'm going to have to work my way up to that.)

So, my first initial appointment was okay, terrifying but okay. They were really nice and encouraging, and gave me some hope that my teeth can rescued.

My first appointment was around £20, and my appointment this week is the same price too. Hopefully they can get more than one thing done per appointment though while I'm sedated, because I'm sure the cost is going to start getting daft with the amount of work that needs doing.

Will keep you updated if you like, and let you know what happens each time I go, in the hope it may help you too, if it makes it less scary for someone, while their teeth are still salvageable, then I'll have least done some good xxx
    Thanks a lot for the update, I need a root canal also and I was crying a lot as well, didn't know you couldn't have sedation for the root canal though. .
    And thanks Roamer,I'll look into that thread.

The sedation/ root canal thing may just be at the practice im at, maybe check with your dentist. But id be insisting on sedation if I were you, at least until you feel braver. Good luck hun xx

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I had sedation for having all my wisdom teeth out , I am as scared off the dentist as they come , but it was great .Small needle in the back of hand , try to count to 5 , next thing you know you are been told you can go !I had to ask had they done it ? 2 wisdom teeth ,one was broken , and stitches .
    My top tip is if they give you anisthetic injection , when they prod you gum with the sharp thing to see if you are numb , say youch , even if you do not feel it , you can get a few extra jabs then to be on the safe side and you don't feel them as you are numb . Win/win
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Thanks Ma. X

So an update: Had an xray of my head, which was not as scary as id built it up to be. They make you stand in a machine that has a frame to keep your head still, and bite onto this piece with a groove cut out. The thing spins, lasted three minutes if that, so I was pleasantly surprised. That was last week.

Today I had my second appointment with the dentist, to review my xray, and have a proper look. I didn't cry going in like I did last time, because there was a really small little child in the waiting room for his first filling appointment, and I didn't want to scare him. So that was a big Step in the right direction.

Got into the dentist, and she was really nice. They had a proper look which was more intrusive than I was expecting, but not painful, even with the toothpick thing they use. Still didn't cry.

Was told I need six teeth taking out, all back ones, a root canal if I'm feeling braver later on (I can have it removed, but it is saveable.... We're leaving that till last) and three fillings. I also need some sort of deep clean. She has offered me sedation for everything except the root canal, but it means having to go a different dentist, in the city.

So I've decided to be brave, and try first going for the deep clean, without sedation, and I'm going to see if I can brave a filling at the same time. She has said she will speak to my GP about getting me some valium for that, so that I'm more calm. So that's next week.

I was going to try today, because she's really nice and I felt a little silly, but id already started crying at this point when she said there was injections involved, so she said she wanted to give me time to get braver.

So second visit, not as terrible as I thought, and I let her touch my teeth with something metal, rather than just looking. I'm calling this a success, even though I didn't get any work done yet.

😊
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, ma bungo, yazz

Hi there. I'm a Dental Nurse and see many nervous patients each day. There are also a handful of patients who are absolutely petrified. Discuss your worries with the dentist and/or Dental Nurse. They will be used to dealing with dental phobic patients and will be sympathetic. Honestly, nobody will think you're being silly - your phobia is a very common one. Some patients like to listen to their music through earphones during their treatment. It seems to help people to mentally seperate themselves from the situation and also drowns out the whirring of the drills. Your dentist wont mind, we encourage it actually as it seems to help. Hope I've reassured you a little bit x
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Me again! Forgot to say, make sure you eat before your appointment. Even if you can only manage a couple of biscuits. People come in with an empty stomach and they're always the ones who faint! Also, remember to breathe. Nice slow deep breaths. The patients who hold their breath are also the ones who faint x
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket

Thankyou, lonely vegan. Apologies for not replying sooner, I didn't spot this until today. I'm getting much better with the dentist, although I am having to take valium before I go.

Just before Christmas I had my deep clean done. The injections weren't as bad as I was expecting, not pleasant by any stretch, but over quickly, they numbed my gums first, and hid the needles from me, which helped alot. The actual cleaning was uncomfortable, but bearable, its more the noise that makes it seem worse, and I managed to get the top set done without pain relief on the same appointment.

Today I went for a filling on my front tooth, ended up getting three fillings, but my front tooth was the most visible one. The injections for that were really unpleasant, even with numbing gel, and made my eyes water, but by the time you've registered that its painful, its already done. The filling was nowhere near as bad as id anticipated, the actual drilling is unpleasant both in noise and smell, but didn't hurt at all.

My front teeth look so much better that I cried when they showed me. I wish id have just gone so much sooner, as although its not pleasant having someone rooting about in your mouth with metal implements, its not barbaric, as I remember from my childhood. My dentist is so lovely and empathetic, which really helps, and they've been so patient with me. Next appointment is some smaller fillings that need doing, going to try get those done without any injections, as apparently they aren't deep, and the injection is worse than the work that needs doing.

Then it'll be time for the extractions. 😲

Dentists, my one and only weakness. It's weird really. I'm not afraid of dying, I'm not really afraid of pain, I don't fear anything really. Except going to the dentist. I don't know why...The only way I deal with it is by going, and be paralyzed with fear in the chair 'till it's over. Not really helpful I know.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.