Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aliens, do you believe?

Not Quite a Noobie

Aliens, do you believe?

Do you believe in other life on other planets? Do you think the truth is being hidden?

I like to think there is more out there than just on this planet. Another being living out its life in its own alien forest or something. I'm unsure if anything has been hidden, because I don't know what I don't know. My imagination can run wild with this.

So what do you think people?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Heavenly Creature
    Logic suggests there must be many intelligences in the Universe. Perhaps existing at many levels, and not all necessarily carbon-based. The physical universe, what little we know of it, is a vast space occupied by myriads of stars in numbers that passes our understanding.
    Around some of those stars will be planets where life, even as we know, will be possible. But so far, we have only found a few, because we have hardly stuck a foot outside the door. For all we know, some life-forms may have had an organised inter-stellar existence for hundreds of thousands of our years, perhaps very much longer.
    For all we know, some of them may have even had a hand in our own existence, because there is a little-discussed side to the human race that makes us quite different to anything else that walks the earth. That side is our incredibly fast supposed evolution. For all the evolutionary factors that supposedly must have come together accidentally in the making of a human being, two or three million years are not enough; it is something that should have taken perhaps several hundred million years.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Oakley

Logic would indeed suggest that there is plenty of life out there , or that there has been or that there will be , whether it as intelligent or moreso than us at this present time is arguable ... it takes a long time for a planet to become habitable in any sense we know and said planet could well be destroyed before intelligence evolves , other way is how long do planets last once 'intelligent life' appears ? , imagine a clever species evolving over 10's of thousands of years , divide into geographical bits and appoint leaders for them bits , then imagine one of them bits votes something ludicrous like an orange skinned reality show meglomaniac to run it ?

On the fast evolution bit , I listened to a good programme on radio4 recently about brain size / power etc , seems our brains use 500 calories a day , calories that we get because we found out that cooking food makes it a lot easier to extract the nutrients thus our ancestors needed to spend less time foraging and had more time for learning things .

Triffids
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    Quite agree, Shroom, on both counts.
    Carl Sagan had the idea that if an intelligent species evolved anywhere, it would sooner or later come up against the use of nuclear power and nuclear weapons. He figured that a high proportion of such intelligent species would maybe vaporise themselves, and any survivors would be forced to have to start the climb back on a ruined planet, if they weren't wiped out completely. So only a few such species - presumably the less belligerent ones - survived to go out further amongst the stars. An interesting theory.

Re the cooked food, this, along with the 'invention' of fire which preceded it, was perhaps the most important factor in the evolution of the human race in recent times. But the invention of fire, so far as they can trace, only goes back a couple of million years. We have come far since then. But to get to the state where we could intelligently use fire and cook food would in itself have taken a great deal longer than the million years or so of human existence that we at present think preceded it.
    Consider all of the other species in existence here for very much longer than ourselves and ask, which of them yet sets a fire? The dinosaurs are a ready example; they were rampant here for about 165 million years, some had what could easily pass for hands, and the remnants are living around us even today, but they did not - so far as we know - evolve intelligence as we know it.

Transcending
    I absolutely believe in alien intelligent life - the universe is way too big and way too old for us to be the only ones.

Sadly, the scale of the universe means that we are unlikely to ever contact them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, oldkeith

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by nomis
    Triffids
    Loved the TV series in the 80's and also the Tripods used to scare the shit out of me.

On a more serious note though, so many un-answered questions seem to point to the existance of alien life. Didn't the Sumerians have tablet inscriptions showing all the planets including Pluto , which wasn't discovered until 1930.
    Also the Dogon tribe had a fair amount of knowledge about Sirius B which wasn't observed until fairly recent times.

When you take into account all the reported sightings etc and structures such as the pyramids, the positioning of ancient megaliths, the Nazcar lines, Puma punku, Kailisa temple and so so many more. I'm not saying that aliens built them, but you have to wonder if they influenced them in some way.

Also I'm convinced that if aliens made contact with us (by us I mean the powers that be) then that kind of information would be kept top secret as it would only invoke mass panic or a massive change of attitude, one that the world is not deemed ready for at this stage.

Whatever the reason, I'm certain that life exists away from this planet, although I have no direct proof myself, I remain convinced, I mean, it stands to reason right? As far as we, the human race can guestimate, (and I did use google) there are 100 billion stars in the milky way. Which itself is one of around 300 billion galaxies in the KNOWN universe and that's just restrained by the limits of our knowledge. so the odds are in favor .
    Last edited by Ecobob; 09-11--2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, oldkeith

Tuning In
    yes their must be lots of other life out their and in time we will find a way to find it, but first we must stop killing earth or we wont be going anywhere.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    The dinosaurs are a ready example; they were rampant here for about 165 million years, some had what could easily pass for hands, and the remnants are living around us even today, but they did not - so far as we know - evolve intelligence as we know it.
    Don't be too sure about that, Keith. We are just beginning to understand about avian intelligence, birds are pretty well classed as a living branch of dinosaurs nowadays; and their intelligence and cognitive abilities are way higher than scientists thought until quite recently.
    It's worth pointing out that a cockatoo, for instance, has about twice as many neurons in it's brain as a human being.

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Ecobob, NomadicRT, yazz

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    I would go as far to say that it isn't something to believe in, it is a fact. I find it laughable that people think we're so special, we are the only ones here. There were civilisations that have come and gone long before we were bacteria.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, NomadicRT, Oakley, oldkeith

Transcending

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    It's worth pointing out that a cockatoo, for instance, has about twice as many neurons in it's brain as a human being.

I didn't know that. Blimey.

PS/ I preferred your old avatar.

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    I would go as far to say that it isn't something to believe in, it is a fact. I find it laughable that people think we're so special, we are the only ones here. There were civilisations that have come and gone long before we were bacteria.
    As above, and somewhere there will be more long after we have destroyed this planet.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Fire-Tree, Oakley

Well Lets Just Say....That...

To Me And How I Think And My Beliefs
    ...That...There Are Things And...Beings.And People/Races ..Animals ..Creatures...Places...Plant Life...Etc Etc Etc ..That Are Hidden From Mans Eyes In This Mans World ..That Man Cannot See.
    Even Though Most Be Hidden In Plain Sight ...As Man Is Too Blind Not Only To See Them ..But To Accept What They See And Hear Too.....hahahaha..

So As Far As Your Question Goes And Asks ....
    My Answer Would Off Course Be YES....

And I Would Go Further As Well To Ask....
    "ARE They Already Here? ....How Long Have They Been Here? ...Etc Etc....And Also.
    Who Is The TRUE ALIEN? ...Is It US? ...Is It Them??...And Who Was Here FIRST??

As Just Because Mans World Cannot See It ...Or Them Etc....Does Not Mean They Dont Exist....And It Does Not Mean THEY Cannot See US.

Because They Could Walk Among Us Hidden In Plain Sight As I Already Be Saying....Or They Could Have Chosen To Be Hidden Away From The Eyes Of Man And Mans World ..Simply Because Man And Mans World Destroys ..Kills .Does.Not Accept .Etc Etc Anythng It Does Not Understand Sadly.

So I Ask Again...."WHO IS THE REAL ALIEN? "...On This Planet Known As Mans World...
    .US/MAN?.. Or OTHERS UNSEEN/UNHEARD AND HIDDEN???.
    Just Because They Have Not Been Seen Or Heard ...Does Not Mean "THEY DONT ALREADY EXIST" ....

So that are my thoughts and beliefs
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Lightbringer, nomis, Oakley, oldkeith, parrotandcrow

We're one inhabited planet we know of in a galaxy of 10,000+ stars and our galaxy is only small.I would expect logically every one of the bilions of galaxies have at least one inhabited planet with intelligent lifeforms....so yes i believe in extra terrestrials.

I do not believe we will ever see them, travel to them or them to us,the.distsnces and timescale to travel simply too vast.It would take a huge self supporting starship several generations of crew simply to reach our nesrest star neighbours.Any ET race will face the ssme limits.Laws of Physics are universal regardless of what point in the universe you dwell.
    For all the fancy hypothesis about warping space and time and the use of wormholes they are just that..hypothesis not one shred of evidence exists to prove space and time can be bent or warped to aid travel nor any existence of wormholes or stargates.

I dont think there is any benefit to planning to travel outside our own solar system.There is benefit in exploring nesrby planets and interplanetsry space because it teaches us lessons on living in extreme environments that future Earth dwellers msy well need to know or may even have to escspe from to another planet to survive some catastrophy.

I do think something is being covered up but not to do with extra terrestrial 'aliens' but possibly the existrnce of other 'intelligent' lifeforms we share this planet with.
    Theres enough evidence to suggest NASA are covering up something out in our orbital space,even their own video footage has shown some entities that appear to move about seemingly intellgently in our upper stmosphere.
    I also think it possible there may be life deep under the oceans weve not yet contacted.I certainly dont believe our current evolutionary generations are the result of a single evolutionary path.
    I think 'human' intelligent civilisations have evolved and emerged a number of times and been almost wiped out and we're just one of those re-emergent phases.
    Archselogical evidence that does not fit current accepted historical time lines is being discovered all the time.
    There msy already be a previous evolution of humans living on the planet hiding from us.I think NASA already knows this or something awesome but have chosen so fsr to keep what they know hidden from us.
    Thats my view ,ive no more evidence for it than NASA has for wormholes or dark matter but its more conceivable there are lifeforms living on Earth in the 90% of the ocean,the antarctic (which was once warm land) and outer atmosphere we know nothing about than ET from outer space coming billions of lightyesrs awsy to visit us
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 10-11--2016 at 04:12 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, nomis, Oakley, oldkeith, parrotandcrow

A lot of trouble i think too about believing or not believing is that Mans World and Man Itself Has Too Much Of A Closed Mind And Is Too Blind And Too Judging ...And Does Not Think Or See Outside The Box Sadly....And Only A Few Of Mans World Do....
    And Those That Do Think And Look Outside The Box Get Considered Cray Cray...Or Nutters Or Worse And Are Laughed At Rather Than Accepted....Despite Mans Lessons Of Being Shown Over And Over That Those Who Do Think And Accept And See And Think Outside The Box Have Been The Ones To Have Evolved Man With Their Creations And Dreams And Visions And Invented And Created What Was Once Thought Crazy And Impossible And Not Believed And Laughed At And Turned Them Into The Future And Possible Etc Like Say....Giving Mans World The Ability To "FLY IN THE SKY LIKE THE BIRDS" Which Was Considered At The Time To Be The Greatest Most Craziest Thing Ever Heard Off And Most Laughed At Etc Etc ....And Yet....Man Does Fly In The Sky Like The Birds And Even Beyond The Skies And Stars ...

But Yet Despite Being Shown And Teached To Look And Think And See And Accept Outside The Box ...Mans World Does NOT ..And Does Not SEE OR ACCEPT OR LOOK Still...
    This is down in most part to television and movies etc ...showing Aliens as Little Green Men and Flying Saucers ...Or Giant Man Eating Plants And Monsters And ET Etc
    Etc ...And this has be Set In Stone And Believed And Teached And Passed Down From One To Another Years After Years Etc ....Slowly Shutting Down Mans Ability To Truly See And Accept And Think Outside The Box ...

And Also It Has Teached And Passed Down Non Acceptance And Fear Of The Unknown And To Destroy and Kill And Experiment The Unknown ...And Anything Unknown. ....

So there could not be and would never be any kind of acceptance of any unknown beings ..unknown life etc etc ...because if they were to find it or see it etc .etc
    Mans World Would DESTROY IT AND KILL IT...Rather than Embrace It And Accept It. Sadly .

So In Turn Other Life Forms And People/Races ..Animals Plants Creatures Etc Etc Would Never Show Or Reveal Themselves As Man And Mans World Are Not Worthy And Not Evolved Enough And Not Ready To Walk With And Among Them And See Them...But Maybe One Day Man And Mans World Will .

And Lastly ....But I Do Think That Some People/Tribes/ Etc Have Been Shown Some Of What Is And Are Hidden ...Because They Understand And Accept And Embrace That And Have Knowledge Of Their Existence And Embrace That Gift And Protect That Gift
    Last edited by Danann; 10-11--2016 at 04:58 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, NomadicRT, nomis, Oakley, oldkeith, parrotandcrow

No!Until its proven.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Oakley

As Danann said, we are limited by our own minds.
    If you were to go back to Victorian times and try to explain the internet, then you would probably be labeled as a nutter.
    I've no doubt that they do know of us but they choose not to contact (for the most part) as we are not on the same level as them. Think of us compared to say mice or something, we know of them, maybe take a few now and then to experiment on, keep as pets, but for the most part they get on with their lives without ever crossing our paths.

I'm sure that if they can travel here then their technology goes way beyond anything we can comprehend.
    Perhaps we have left behind some of our knowledge in the past, I think we are too quick to label anything not scientifically proven, as fiction.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, nomis, Oakley, parrotandcrow

Not Quite a Noobie
    i think theres probably life out there, its just whether we'll ever meet any of it.

also the title reads like its asking if theres any religious aliens here
    The following users think this post is groovy: Oakley

Not Quite a Noobie

Originally Posted by sky-o
    i think theres probably life out there, its just whether we'll ever meet any of it.

also the title reads like its asking if theres any religious aliens here
    I didn't mean for it to sound religious at all. I should have thought more about the way I worded the title. Probably should have put. ''Is there a possibility there is other life in the universe? What do you think?''
    The following users think this post is groovy: sky-o

Yes I think there are other inhabited planets beyond what we can see at the moment.
    And after seeing what was predicted 16 years ago on The Simpsons I'm starting to think we can time travel too.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

I Be Outta this world and what would be called an Alien hahahaha as i think people think i be very strange and oddball and often look at me as if i be one too by the way i act and be and am hahahaha.....hehehe...Soooo Funny hahaha.....Danann The Alien ET Close Encounters Of The Danann Kind hahahahaha
    Jeez i crack myself up hahaha
    ))
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature
    An interesting thread. And very true that ideas which are angrily denied at one stage in our history can become fact a little further on, perhaps only a century or two down the line.
    There is a great deal in our hidden history to suggest some kind of coming and going between Earth and Elsewhere, and by no means all of it to do with star ships.
    There are powerful legends of earthly civilisations here which could fly across the sky at one time. Some later legends suggest the last of these only a few thousand years ago, and almost on our doorstep here in the UK

Following on from what Danann and others have said, arises the the question of "Are We - Humankind - the real strangers here?"
    The biological forms we inhabit, which alone of all the species on earth can modify their own immediate habitat in order to survive in inhospitable places, the abstract kind of intelligence we possess, the fact that in most parts of the planet we could not survive without clothes and cooked food of some kind; there is just nothing else here like us. I sometimes muse that perhaps we are part of some alien biological experiment which tried to cloak some sort of spiritual intelligences in earthly flesh... and mostly failed.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Danann
    I Be Outta this world and what would be called an Alien hahahaha as i think people think i be very strange and oddball and often look at me as if i be one too by the way i act and be and am hahahaha.....hehehe...Soooo Funny hahaha.....Danann The Alien ET Close Encounters Of The Danann Kind hahahahaha
    Jeez i crack myself up hahaha
    ))
    Careful, Danann, you are getting a bit close... mind you don't spill the beans...

Tuning In
    it would be easy to say there isnt life out there, because with saying that, you dont have to provide evidence ther eisnt, you believe there isnt and thats that, so why try and provide evidence for something you dont believe in, being so there is a massive space program that is out there looking, they must either know or have an educated guess to spend all that money and effort being out in space doing jsnt that. I feel the space race is more than just curiosity. its not solely ' just because we can' either

I probably would say with concrete evidence then I could really believe there is intelligent life out there, I believe its more than possible or even likely given how massively uncomrehendably vast it is out there, and would like to think there is, but I dont know as we either havent been told stuff or nothing has been found as irrefutable evidence of existing life in any form. how do we know the human race isnt alien, but given the natural life on this planet being the way it is, we have sprung from this amazing phenomenon called Earth, to me, the theory of evolution is the nearest most rational scientific explanation of the ongoing life cycle of this planet, thats the human body and human form, our souls, the bit thats the inner self, our waking conciousness, that could be a whole different kettle of fish, On a bigger scale, I do feel some things should be left alone, as a race, we might end up finding out stuff we wish we hadnt.
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, Oakley, oldkeith