Thread: Goa!Your thoughts?

Goa!Your thoughts?

We've never been to Goa.Been to India a few times,but never Goa.For us,it seems like party central,noisy,busy and full of tourists.So I'm curious to know if thats really true?Is there anywhere beachside in Goa that is peaceful and tranquil with a few nice beach bars for a quiet drink at night?We're thinking of heading to Gokarna in Feb but "may"stay in Goa for a few days beforehand first.What was your experience?Good.bad or ugly?lol

Transcending
    I went twenty years ago and loved it, almost moved out there when my son was a baby and in the end decided not to, often wonder what life would be like now if I had.

I've no idea what it is like now. When we went there were busy areas and quiet areas. Someone told us about a beach (which I can't remember the name of now) that was almost deserted and we took off on a scooter to find it. No idea where to go other than the bloke vaguely pointing in one direction. Drove along calling out the name to people who just pointed which way we should go. Eventually got there and it was like something out of a film, beautiful white sand, clear blue water and deserted apart from a couple of fishermen way up mending their nets. There were some sun canopies and and loungers set out and we went over to them and this man literally appeared out of nowhere offering us food and drink. We asked him what he had and he said we could have anything we wanted so we told him what we fancied and he disappeared on a moped only to reappear twenty minutes later with another bloke and a tray of food with a case of beer.

We stayed there all day and, other than the lovely bloke who kept bringing us more food and drink, I think we saw about three other people. It was heaven. No idea the name of it now, sorry, and someone has probably built a load of hotels along the edge of it by now. Personally I would go if you're passing by anyway but whether you will find quiet areas I don't know. You've made me feel all nostalgic now!
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Wow that sounds amazing!It would be a nice thought to think that beach was exactly the way you left it,but chances are,as you said,its probably got hotels build by it now.We went to a quiet beach area in Sth India not that long ago.During our stay,we met a welsh couple (Not alternative types)one night,and during the convo,they told us there were over there looking to build a hotel,on the beach and ........run a jet ski business????Yeah just what a semi deserted gorgeous quiet beach needed hey?Grrrr Hope it never came to fruition!

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Don't want to sound negative , but if you have been to India before I would steer clear other than if you can get a cheap flight there and use it as a hopping off point .It is over developed with hotels and the like and you will be probably disapointed.
    I think Gokarna might be going the same way , I think a road has been built,through to Om Beach turning it into the usual circus you get anywhere tourist can easily access.Its still way nicer than Goa though.
    I guess its down to what you want , if its chillaxing on a beach in a nice climate you will be fine , and the Portugese /Christian influence/architecture is interesting.
    I love India , but Goa would be low on my revisit list , the only place there I found less interesting was Ahmedabad!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Electrikgypsy

One of my friends goes out to Goa every winter for the party atmosphere... He loves it.
    Hes always posting pictures of beautiful beaches and scenery where there doesnt seem to be many folks about. I guess it has its quiet times and areas that you can retreat to but like Ma bungo says its probably not a true snippet of India.
    Like most tourist areas it will be over populated built up and crazy.
    But wherever you decide to go in India I hope you enjoy it.
    :-)
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,appreciate your thoughts.Someone told me a while ago,Goa is like Benidorm!lol I've never been to Benidorm,but from what I've seen on tv?Benidorm itself?No thank,not sure about the sourrounding area's though tbh.Someone from my husbands work has visited Goa,and he loved it,but then he has never been anywhere else in India.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Hampi in Karnatarka , is an easy days train ride or bus from Goa is very interesting place to visit, it is the former capital of the Vijayanagara Empire, and as such , is now a hugh complex of ruined temples , elephant stables giant boulders and allsorts.It is also Hindu pilgramage site, so plenty going on as well as hotels and resteraunts .

Not Quite a Noobie Nomadic monster's Avatar
    Go in monsoon season and its lovely and quiet. Went to gokarna and palolem and it was dead, just the way we like it
    The following users think this post is groovy: Electrikgypsy