THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Big cats in UK.

Big cats in UK.

I reckon that is proof enough now, what do you think?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

issa fuggin great leopard is that..........
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

'Tis innit
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    seen a lynx once just padding down the side of the road, walked by right next to truck, nearly shit meself
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, wurzel

I've never seen owt myself but a few respected people I know (and now you included Harry) have told me of their sightings, none of them are taken easily to flights of fantasy.

Ive never seen a Big cat in the Wild in the UK, but Mountain Lion ( Puma) are common in California.. once ya smell the scent marks....you never forget the smell.....and i have smelt very similar smells and deffo not Fox when i lived in lincolnshire
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

My friend and I (both down to earth types) saw a black panther run out of a side road, across a roundabout, and disappear down a side road, years ago. Neither of us said anything straight away as it was just too unreal, but when I said "you wont believe this, but I just saw a..." She jumped straight in with "black panther?! So did I!!"

Heavenly Creature
    Looks too well-fed!

Transcending
    Wow stunning.
    When I was yougn one of my mother's friends has a black panther, which she took out for walks, it had the run of the house too. She had a tiger in her back garden but he was kept caged. When they changed the law in 1976 lots of owner released their smaller cats, she released her panther late 1977, no reason why some wouldn't survive and breed, I think.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by yazz
    Wow stunning.
    When I was yougn one of my mother's friends has a black panther, which she took out for walks, it had the run of the house too. She had a tiger in her back garden but he was kept caged. When they changed the law in 1976 lots of owner released their smaller cats, she released her panther late 1977, no reason why some wouldn't survive and breed, I think.
    Please don't think I am being offensive to your mothers friend...but WHAT THE FUCK WAS SHE THINKING? STUPID FUCKER!!!

You do not let one of these....

Out to play in the UK.......you just don't.......its irresponsible, and stupid.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Looks too well-fed!

the odd rabbit, dog, cat, sheep, hens, foxes, badgers, roadkill, there is plenty of food for a feral Jaguar (Panther) or Leopard

Transcending

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Please don't think I am being offensive to your mothers friend...but WHAT THE FUCK WAS SHE THINKING? STUPID FUCKER!!!

You do not let one of these....

Out to play in the UK.......you just don't.......its irresponsible, and stupid.

I don't agree with what she done, but i didn't understand back then, that she could be dangerous, she was so chilled out. Their where alot of people with cats back then, some where released but I never heard of a confirmed kill in UK, yet.

The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, wurzel

I herd a farmer that had shot what he thought was a puma in his barn but didn't dare report it as he didn't have a ticket for his rifle.

Transcending

Originally Posted by Markrob
    I herd a farmer that had shot what he thought was a puma in his barn but didn't dare report it as he didn't have a ticket for his rifle.
    When working on a farm a few years ago, I found a sheep that had been attacked by something, backend had gone but blood was still fresh and body warm, didn't look like dog attack to me.

Originally Posted by yazz
    When working on a farm a few years ago, I found a sheep that had been attacked by something, backend had gone but blood was still fresh and body warm, didn't look like dog attack to me.
    Yeah I've found dead sheep that I couldn't figure out what had killed them.
    It's heavily wooded round the farm and most of it private land so anything could be lurking.

The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Few 'sightings' round our way , kid suposedly got mauled in village next door.

when it struck its paw at me and I saw the blood fly past, I thought I was going to die," said Josh

I've seen more blood fly when I cut myself shaving! He got them scratches pincjin' veg from the allotments...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, yazz

OK I seem to have forgotten to put this up on here, my brother took the following pictures a couple of weeks ago when he was out for a run near the River Severn in Worcester.

WARNING GRAPHIC PICS.

Hesaid the neck was broken and there were very large puncture wounds around the neck too, he went and reported it to the farmer and DEFRA - they were very interested, the police said look out for a large dog.

Could be RM's fox/wolf
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by patchypete
    Could be RM's fox/wolf
    Eh? I think I must've missed that one heehee.

RM got chased around the campsite by a werefox .....
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, wurzel

Before it was made illegal to keep them in 1976 big cats were kept as pets by a lot of 'trendy' posers who thought they were cool. You could buy them fairly easily.

The ones that were seen in the wild were either escaped ones or ones that got turned loose when the owners realised they couldn't cope with them. Its not a big mystery really. They were seen in Hertfordshire fairly regularly when I lived there in the early 90s and knew a lot of the farmers.

The original ones would be dead by now so unless they have managed to breed there won't be many left now
    Last edited by Bernie; 06-02--2017 at 08:56 PM.