THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Anyone do any wood turning?

Anyone do any wood turning?

I have this:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's my grandfather's skittles cheese... about 10" in diameter and 8 pounds in weight, it is apparently made from lignum vitae..

As it is, it's a useless lump of wood, so I'd like to turn it into something useful and lighter.. I thought a bowl would be a nice way of preserving most of its shape....

Anyone got any thoughts?

Matt

looks like it would heat up nice on as tove top (with protection of some sort where touching) and make a nice "Hot wooder bottle" type o thing.....
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    looks like it would heat up nice on as tove top (with protection of some sort where touching) and make a nice "Hot wooder bottle" type o thing.....
    I like your thinking, sir!

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by realnutter
    I have this:As it is, it's a useless lump of wood, so I'd like to turn it into something useful and lighter.. I thought a bowl would be a nice way of preserving most of its shape....

Anyone got any thoughts?
    Resaw through the equator and make two bowls.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Resaw through the equator and make two bowls.
    They'd be rather shallow bowls if I did that.. but worth a thought..

I would make it into 3 woodcarving mallets. Or one very large one. How much do you want for it, if you were to sell it?
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo