THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 24 of 29

Thread: Would you like to help save orangutans?

  1. #1

    Would you like to help save orangutans?

    Would you like to help save orangutans? Would you like to show the world that vegans can achieve the same as, if not more than people who eat meat and dairy? The Sumatran Orangutan Society still has places available in the Virgin London Marathon, taking place on April 23rd 2017. Please email
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for more details or visit
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


  2. #2
    Radiant Being Sootyfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    54
    Posts
    8,273
    Katie, normally we introduce ourselves FIRST...or we may think you are ...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    Oh wait.......Katie 123 username....email Rachel???
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

  3. #3
    Heavenly Creature
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wales
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,043

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Oh wait.......Katie 123 username....email Rachel???
    There's a Katie here:
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #4
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,063
    Benefit of the doubt as it's a good cause ... but it's a bit rude to come to this forum and drop links without introducing yourself.

    Are you connected to this organisation, and if so did you read the rules about self-promotion and advertising?

  5. #5
    FORM FROM THE VOID Danann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,036
    Well whatever the rights and wrongs Katie ...Yes it is a Great Cause And I Truly Hope And Wish You All The Best Of Luck And Hope That You Raise Lots Of Money For The Sumatran Orangutan Society So That You Can Save Many Of These Beautiful Orangutans...Because I Live Close To The Start Line And Most Years Just Like This Year I Take Part And Raise Money For Local Charities And Local Hospitals That Are Near My Home So I Would Be Unable To Help Your Great Cause Of Saving These Wonderful Animals.

    Also I Would Like To Say..."That I Did Not Know There Was A Need To "Prove Or Show Anything To The World" Whether You Be "Vegan..Vegetarion ..Or Meat Eater.....Or Flower Plant Eaters Etc" ...Because I Believe In
    (You Are You...Whatever Your Beliefs And Lifestyle Choices..You Choose Etc)....And So Embrace And Love Your Freedom Off Choice And Accept And Believe That You Are Not Lessor Or Better Than Anyone ...Because "You Are You" And They Are They ....And So Therefore You Have Nothing To Prove Or Show To Anybody Or This World That You Are Better Or Bigger..Equal ..The Same Etc Etc Than Anything Or Anybody ..Simply Because "You Are You" And "They Are They"...So Simply Love And Embrace That As There Is No Need To Prove Or Show.. That Your Lifestyle Choices Are Lessor Or Bigger Or Better....Because We Are All Equal And All The Same..And One At The End Of The Day No Matter How We Choose To Live
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )))...((((Hugggs))))

    Ps ...Please do not think i am being Mean Or Unkind in what i have said Katie As I Truly Be Not.....Its Just I Found It Strange And Was Surprised To See What You Said About "Showing The World That Vegans Can Achieve The Same As iIf Not More Than Meat/Dairy Eaters Thats All ..Because I Never Heard Or Seen That Before Said Or Wrote Etc Because As I Said Nobody Has To Prove Or Show Anything Almost Like A Competition Of Lifestyle Choices EtcTo Each Other Or The World If That Makes Sense ......
    Wishing You All Well And The Society Well And Good Luck At The Marathon
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ))) xx
    Last edited by Danann; 11-11--2016 at 01:51 AM.
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, MJ James

  6. #6
    Transcending
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    south wales
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    531
    Hello but I'm a dairy meat eater, so from your post, you'll not be interested in what I have to say. I do find it insulting your ref to meat /dairy eaters, I care about all life on this planet, my lifestyle is a very gentle one ( I step gently on this beautiful planet).
    I do wish you the best but alienating people isn't going to help anything.


    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, NomadicRT

  7. #7
    They can all come and live with me and i do not like anything to do with "virgin" at all.

    but

    Good luck all the same.

  8. #8
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,063
    I don't really see the connection between veganism and the issues facing Orangutans - in fact, singling out apes as more worthy than other species is pretty much a typical omnivore thing to do. Determining which animals need to be saved, and which animals are less important ignores the ability of other creatures to feel pain or suffer.

    However, I will answer this:


    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by yazz
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hello but I'm a dairy meat eater, so from your post, you'll not be interested in what I have to say. I do find it insulting your ref to meat /dairy eaters, I care about all life on this planet, my lifestyle is a very gentle one ( I step gently on this beautiful planet).
    I do wish you the best but alienating people isn't going to help anything.
    Do you not see a contradiction between "I care about all life..." or "my lifestyle is a very gentle one" and the practice of needlessly killing (or paying people to kill) animals for the sake of your taste buds? I mean, it's hardly altruistic kindness is it?

    Seriously, if you eat meat then that is indeed your choice, but please don't make a fuss about your feelings being insulted because your words don't match your lifestyle.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

  9. #9
    Transcending
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    south wales
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    531

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Paul
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't really see the connection between veganism and the issues facing Orangutans - in fact, singling out apes as more worthy than other species is pretty much a typical omnivore thing to do. Determining which animals need to be saved, and which animals are less important ignores the ability of other creatures to feel pain or suffer.

    However, I will answer this:



    Do you not see a contradiction between "I care about all life..." or "my lifestyle is a very gentle one" and the practice of needlessly killing (or paying people to kill) animals for the sake of your taste buds? I mean, it's hardly altruistic kindness is it?

    Seriously, if you eat meat then that is indeed your choice, but please don't make a fuss about your feelings being insulted because your words don't match your lifestyle.
    A fuss?? No fuss, just my view, will be more careful..
    Yes, sometimes someone else has slaughtered the meat I eat but that doesn't mean I don't think and thank the animal I'm eating.
    I tried being vegetarian some years ago but my weight hit 5 stone, realisation that this diet, didn't suit me or my lifestyle, it's not about my taste buds. We are all different.

    I agree, all species are important not just the popular ones.

    I disagree, being an omnivore means I don't care about all animals ect..
    Peace :-)

    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, wurzel

  10. #10
    lone wolf survivalist.
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The North Devon Wilderness
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,165
    yes I would like to help save the orangutans- after all I am one myself(trapped in a human body)!!
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't see what eating meat has to do with it though, its the palm oil plantations that have most to do with losing their habitat.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, nomis, Sootyfoot

  11. #11
    I don't think the Orangutans will give too fucks who helps them!
    Can't see them being more great full because Vegans have raised the money.


    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid, Lightbringer, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, yazz

  12. #12
    If being vegan made you a better all round person , wouldn't we all be vegans??


    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, yazz

  13. #13
    Or is it just my meat riddled brain that can't take that seriously


    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid, Lightbringer, yazz

  14. #14
    King of Fish. wurzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    La La Land - Miseryside
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,450
    Here we go! lol
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett

  15. #15
    I love animals but like to eat them too n I help them by eating roadkill so at least loosing there life wasn't for nothing.


    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid, yazz

  16. #16
    I best add that I don't run them down myself


    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, yazz

  17. #17
    Annoyingly Positive Editor DaisyDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    On the cut
    Gender
    Female
    Age
    44
    Posts
    7,717
    Totally irrelevant to the discussion but I read it as 'shave' not save......I've now got the giggles
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, yazz

  18. #18
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,063

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by yazz
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Yes, sometimes someone else has slaughtered the meat I eat but that doesn't mean I don't think and thank the animal I'm eating.
    I'm sure they're all really grateful for being thanked
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    I'm not going to address any other issues you raised in this thread because it's too offtopic, but you are actually incorrect and we're really not all different.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Markrob

  19. #19
    Radiant Being Lightbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,527

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Markrob
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I best add that I don't run them down myself
    i bet you do!!!

  20. #20
    Radiant Being Lightbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,527

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Markrob
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't think the Orangutans will give too fucks who helps them!
    Can't see them being more great full because Vegans have raised the money.
    Pmsl!

  21. #21
    Heavenly Creature realnutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,749
    I'll just leave this here, not because I'm anti-vegan, but because I think it's important to discuss these things...


    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT

  22. #22
    the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,063

    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by realnutter
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I'll just leave this here, not because I'm anti-vegan, but because I think it's important to discuss these things...


    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Well it is offtopic, so almost certainly suited for a different thread, but let's cover this for a minute while I decide whether to move it elsewhere...

    That blog is pretty unscientific, and not backed up with any credible figures, but of course it is indeed totally impossible to live on earth and not do some harm to animals. Veganism isn't about that, it's about "as far as is practicable and possible" (i.e. doable)

    For instance, construction harms habitats, as does farming, as does transportation, industrialisation and so on ... but lets not forget that livestock also needs to eat, and that grain production for animal feed is also causing accidental harm to animals - and breeding animals for food is a massive contributor to world hunger, because of the logistics involved in meat production and sourcing their foodstuffs.

    The amount of land, soil, water and grain needed to feed livestock is far greater than that needed to produce vegetables - animal agriculture is unsustainable and the biggest cause of greenhouse gases, deforestation, ocean deadzones and loss of biodiversity.

    We should all use less of everything, but using accidental animal harm to justify deliberate animal harm is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

  23. #23
    Heavenly Creature Roamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,728
    He's alive then?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  24. #24
    Heavenly Creature Roamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,728
    We are never going to live in a fully & only veggie allowed world.
    To me it's a ridiculous thought.
    Everything would end up extinct
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    & then humans would be eating humans. It's true!
    Roast dinner would never be the same again
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    I'll have a leg of Paul please
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    with extra gravy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •