Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Survival Prepper Group

Bushcraft Survival Prepper Group

For anyone interested in bushcraft, survival skills, disaster preparation (prepping) emergency expeditionary medicine or any related topics,there is now a group on ukhippy to join. (look for 'Groups'in the tabs under the ukhippy banner top of screen).

Please note 'Groups' on this website are not accessible using the mobile platform on your device so you will need to select 'desktop option' in your browser if you do not see the groups menu option.

The SHTF Survival Prepper Group is mainly intended as a library resource for links books videos and related topic matter.The subject is simply too extensive to deal with in a group platform therefore the intention is to give users a starting point to find info they need to become more DIY resilient to disaster scenarios or major disruption such as very severe weather events.

If you have a genuine lifeling interest or just becoming aware of the.need to do something positive to help yourself in such an emergency then feel free to join the group.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Muninn, Offgrid hero, patchypete, Rick69, Sootyfoot, zendaze

I'll try, but...

Nope, can't find it. Do I have to have proper computer? Is my tablet not enough?

If you have the mobile option on you wont find groups.If you find the menu option in your browser for 'desktop' display it will display the page as you would see it on a pc.Im just using my phone so your tablet will be fine once you find the desktop option in your browser...I dont think you will find it if youre using tapatalk.

This is the direct link
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll try, thanks

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    If you have the mobile option on you wont find groups.If you find the menu option in your browser for 'desktop' display it will display the page as you would see it on a pc.Im just using my phone so your tablet will be fine once you find the desktop option in your browser...I dont think you will find it if youre using tapatalk.

This is the direct link
    Not on a phone it's not. I don't have the option to see the desktop on the phone, but can see the desktop on my tablet if I select it.

I use my phone all the time on the internet,i can choose the mobile or desktop option on my browsers i use.

Can you direct me to this desktop setting please van?

I've only got a phone for Internet access and I can select a desktop option no problem
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by TravellerNick
    The option should be in your browser settings menu may be desktop option or 'website preferences or UI display...depends on the browser youre using on your tablet.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    bit ironic that, bushcraft via an app wtf
    The following users think this post is groovy: astartosteerby, cricket, Fire-Tree, julianthegypsy, NomadicRT, realnutter, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Oh, I duh no! Apparently the galaxy 7 has a fire starting ability.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, cricket, Fire-Tree, julianthegypsy, marshlander, Offgrid hero, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Originally Posted by TravellerNick
    Android firefox. Three dots to the right of the address bar, next to the reload and tabs. Press and there will be a menu, request desktop site is about the sixth option down.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Android firefox. Three dots to the right of the address bar, next to the reload and tabs. Press and there will be a menu, request desktop site is about the sixth option down.
    Yay! Got it. Thanks.
    Hey, this place is soo much more colourful than tapatalk!

Yep I didn't get on with Tapatalk
    just a simple guy

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Yep I didn't get on with Tapatalk
    Hmm, there's a lot of stuff here to get used to, I like tapatalk for it's simplicity but I'll try an get used to this.

Tuning In

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    For anyone interested in bushcraft, survival skills, disaster preparation (prepping) emergency expeditionary medicine or any related topics,there is now a group on ukhippy to join. (look for 'Groups'in the tabs under the ukhippy banner top of screen).

Please note 'Groups' on this website are not accessible using the mobile platform on your device so you will need to select 'desktop option' in your browser if you do not see the groups menu option.

The SHTF Survival Prepper Group is mainly intended as a library resource for links books videos and related topic matter.The subject is simply too extensive to deal with in a group platform therefore the intention is to give users a starting point to find info they need to become more DIY resilient to disaster scenarios or major disruption such as very severe weather events.

If you have a genuine lifeling interest or just becoming aware of the.need to do something positive to help yourself in such an emergency then feel free to join the group.
    iv had a look seams a good idea , have you been doing this stuff long ie know what your on about as bad advice could leave a guy hurt or dead.

Originally Posted by WREKAGE
    iv had a look seams a good idea , have you been doing this stuff long ie know what your on about as bad advice could leave a guy hurt or dead.
    OK, here is the deal........IGNORE ANYTHING that TWAT Bear Grylls says....he is just a 'Entertainer'

Ray Mears, "lofty" Wiseman, Les Stroud.......REAL people who know their shit.
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Offgrid hero, patchypete, Petew, TravellerNick

I've never watched a bear grylls programme just seeing him risking a sprained ankle/Broken leg jumping around like a twat in the adverts is enough for me
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Bear grylls sponsored products are overpriced.......

Smallest bag with the best outcome would be the challenge..... Unfortunately a handgun isn't an option. Nor is a hand grenade for self annihilation given terminal circumstances.

I like survivalist stuff and the conversation however obtuse it may seem to some.

Originally Posted by WREKAGE
    Ive been doing bushcraft/survival for 40+yesrs and survival prep interest for 25+yesrs im also an ex paramedic so i know what im tslking about in the medical field too.
    BUT
    Im assuming you read the post above and the post in the group on its intentions.Im NOT running an instructional course and NO intention of...i dont have time,resources or desire to. There is a masive amount of info on the.internet on the subject and numerous forums to discuss with other enthusiasts already and its really down to owns personal motivation to seek it out.People in general are hopelessly ill prepared in terms of knowledge and skills to deal with adverse life threatening situations and dont prespare until theyre landed in a situation they cant cope with...that is dangerous and when people get hurt or lose their lives. Im.trying to encourage people to learn about what they can do to mitigate those risks and learn simple skills that may benefit them in the future.

The group platform was the best option i could choose on here to keep all subject related info in one place and not get lost in the general forum threads.
    The group is intended as a library resource of links on where to get relevant information,good books to read,instructional.videos,good accredited bushcraft survival training schools etc.

I will add material as i can but im hoping others who've got useful info or weblinks will also add to the resource. Its a starting point for anyone here to research the topic and get more involved in making themselves more resilient and prepared to deal with events or disasters that may suspend or alter what passes as normal modern life.

Bushcraft survival and Prepping is very much a personal attitude to dealing with potential survival issues and unless youre in the services very much a DIY learning curve...seek out the best information and the best instructional training..then go put it into practice yourself when free time allows.
    Meeting others with similar interests is a bonus.

Personally ive always wanted to be trained to deal with almost any situation i might reasonably be challenged by and i was trained by the best..Im not one for sitting and waiting for help to arrive and i think .people in genersl should take more personal responsibility for their own life and survival where reasonably possible....hopefully the info in the group will encoursge people here to take a.more active interest in ensuring they can cope in difficult sutuations.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 15-11--2016 at 08:35 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

On the subject of Bear Grylls

a special forces friend reposted this interview with Bear and its well worth a read

Edward Michael "Bear" Grylls (born 7 June 1974) is a British adventurer, writer and television presenter. He is widely known for his television series Man vs. Wild(2006–2011), originally titled Born Survivor: Bear Grylls in the United Kingdom. Grylls is also involved in a number of wilderness survival television series in the UK and US. In July 2009, Grylls was appointed the youngest-ever Chief Scout in the UK at age 35.

Interview with Anthony Middleton concerning ch4 program on SAS , who dsres wins.

Ambassador for Pilgrim Bandits charity... special forces, and for how long?
    I spent 4 years in the Special Boat Service. I was a point man/lead scout, which means I was the first person through the door. I was also a primary fires operator and sniper.
    What work do you do now?
    I work throughout Africa in the mining and security sector.
    Why did you decide to take part in this programme?
    Predominantly in honour of the lads that I served with and that still serve today within the organisation, I wanted to show the viewer/the world just how mentally finely tuned, and how highly trained these guys are just to make it into the Special Forces world, let alone make it once you're in, which only magnifies tenfold!
    Even though they live very much in the shadows, I want people to know how unique and special these guys really are. That's why it was so important that the producers let us 100% run the course with minimal interference, so we could keep the authenticity and integrity of the actual selection process. I knew, with the right team, that we could deliver that, which we did.
    What do you remember about your own training?
    I remember sitting on my Bergen in the early morning dark on the parade square in the pissing rain, with the land rovers on full beam blinding us and just seeing the outline shadow of the Chief instructor barking out his orders and never knowing when the day was going to end, it was very intimidating. Trying to keep the fear of failing out of my mind was hard work mentally.
    What was the toughest bit of all?
    The escape and evasion and the resistance to interrogation, for me that was the most challenging part of Selection.
    Did you have any misgivings subjecting the recruits to such agonies? Or is there a perverse enjoyment to be had?
    No misgivings at all, everything is done for a reason, we are looking for the best of the best, we're not there to make friends. If you haven’t got what it takes, it's simply 'pack your bags and off you go'. I did not get any perverse enjoyment out of it, I'm simply looking for the characteristics and attributes that are required to make it into the Special Forces world.
    At a first glance could you tell which recruits might succeed or fail?
    At first glance you're looking for discipline, those who have come prepared. As for those who might succeed or not, it's impossible to tell so I can't say that I ever looked at individuals like that from the start!
    Did you go easier on them, because they were civilians, and they aren't trying out for the SAS?
    We did not go easy on them at all, we put them through exactly what we went through, we maintained the immense physical and mental pressure of selection.
    What was the standard of recruits like?
    The recruits were all physically fit as they had to pass a screening process beforehand, so the overall standard I would say was medium to high.
    Obviously, as instructors, you have a duty of care to the recruits. Was that at the forefront of your mind?
    As Chief Instructor, the well being of the recruits was my priority, along with that of the Production team, the medics and the psychiatrist, this was maintained throughout the course and monitored 24/7.
    What precautions did you take to ensure their welfare?
    Precautions as above with the relevant teams and individuals, a key component was the experience of the DS team, every task or test that we gave them, we were there on the ground with them leading by example! So knowing when and how far we could push the recruits to THEIR limits was crucial, and also knowing when to stop, who better to control and judge that than the very people who have been there and done it themselves.
    Did you have favourites among the group?
    You try not to favour individuals but as the course goes on then you naturally draw to certain individuals. By the end I'd really warmed to a couple of them who I could see that, one day, could have what it takes to serve in the Special Forces.
    What qualities does a potential recruit for the SAS need?
    The qualities required are many, but mainly a combination of physical and mental robustness, self-discipline, controlled aggression and a magnified attention to detail. Those were what I focused on in my Selection course.
    Did this experience make you want to return to that sort of life?
    The experience didn't make me want to return to the Special Forces world but it did humble me in a way that we could take a bunch of civilians, put them through such a rigorous training programme and see non-military personnel get to the end of it, some finishing strongly.
    It was very rewarding and has inspired me to get back into a military training role. It just goes to show that if we focused young people's energy in the right direction then you’ll be surprised by what they can achieve.

To the honour of men like him and fallen friends.PS he didn't mention the medic was always there

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    bit ironic that, bushcraft via an app wtf
    Tis that..but useful to learn from when youve spare time to read..
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, julianthegypsy, Offgrid hero

Not Quite a Noobie
    Put me down in the cant stand bear grylls camp. All that shouty, jumping around and drinking his own piss every five minutes schtick is ridiculous. In contrast always liked ray mears shows. Calm, knowledgable. thats what you want.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, ma bungo, Offgrid hero, Petite Anglaise, Sootyfoot