THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48
Results 1,129 to 1,151 of 1151

Thread: Bushcraft Survival Prepper Group

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Rick69
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't regularly get to lidl, if they come up again and you remember give us a shout please!

They are available again.....bright enough (for finding your way) and quite reliable imo.

Edit......nope I'm mistaken.....those on sale are the aa version.....not 12v rechargeable... apologies

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    How do they start a fire, do they put out a lot of heat?

Is it the battery that is a risk to catching fire? If so what's a better one to use, I presume duracell don't do anything as powerful.

That little USB charger looks great, I have several things I could plug that in to including a stove.

It's the heat generated from the light beam. Some brag about cooking a egg on the torch glass.
    Try flashlight reviews if interested in buying yourself a torch or visit a forum or three.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Just been looking on YouTube at led torches starting fires and I found an interesting hack(can you start a fire with a sandwich bag ?), It worth a watch.
    just a simple guy

My mate set fire to the window curtains when she left a crystal out. I like the torch idea because it can be used indoors or at night.

I'm having a change of thought. All this planning to survive. Prepping for the what if's. At the back of my mind I know I'm unsettled and the long forecast for my retiring years isn't confirmed. So Im thinking of setting myself a challenge, to learn and practice free gardening, foraging from nature. Compiling knowledge of plant and nutrient harvesting on the move. There's plenty of resources available to practice this during the good times. (Peaceful times) plenty of active groups to share the experience with. Combining medicinal uses, alongside food preparation, in a nutshell, bush crafting. It maybe time to leave the hippies behind and invest my time with another forum I've been a member of.

My little sunflower seed for oil thing isn't going very well I've learned that they are easy to grow if you pellet and support them from wind damage I did nether,I will collect the seed from the survivers and use it next year but put more preparation into the bed.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Just learned something new from ray, the smaller curly edge Dock plant leaves are edible.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Just learned something new from ray, the smaller curly edge Dock plant leaves are edible.
    Are they nice to eat though?

He didn't really say what they taste like,I think if I find a young fresh looking one I'll try it he ate his raw but from a coastal site and said their better when not exposed to salt, maybe cooked a bit like spinach?
    just a simple guy

Because I Eat Many Flowers .Weeds Etc And Because Of My Raising I Know Of This "Curly Edge Dock Plant " You Be Speaking Off . But We Call It "Yellow Root" Simply Because Of Its Yellow Root..

Firstly I Will Say That It Be Best To Eat "Young" When Its Say About 3 Inches Long ...As Then It Tastes Sort Of Lemoney And Is Great To Make Tea Or Sprinkle On Salads Or Just Simple Use As Vegetable...
    The Older Bigger Leafs Are Yuckkky E
    And Bitter ....And I Know Ma Bungo You Have Farm Animals So I This Be Very Bad For.
    And Not Only Do The Bigger Old Leafs Be Bitter They Also Are Full Of A Bad Toxin (Acid) I Think Thats What You Call It (Acid) ...But Yes If You Boil It The Bad Toxin Acid Stuff Goes ..But We Do Not Ever Be Eating Old Big Dock Leaf (Yellow Root) Anyway As We Only Eat The Yummy Young Ones.

Also We Use The Yellow Root (Curley Dock ) "ROOTS" Itself ...And Not Just The Leafs.
    For Teas And Healing ...
    We Use The Yellow Root Dry Or Make It Into Powder And Polstices Too..
    It Is A Great Laxative And Is Great When You Add Apple Cider Vinegar For "Body Booster" ..You Call It "Tonics"
    As It Packed With Iron..So Very Good For What We Call "Sick Blood" .I Think You Call It "Anemia" And Also A Great Healer Of Coughs Too And Good For Getting Bad Things Out Of The Body Like Bad Air Car Fumes...And Heavy Metals Which Be Important To Us To Not Have Metals In Our Bodies And In And On Our Skin.

We Also Make Polstices..With The Yellow Root In Powder Look .....As It Heals Skin Rashes...And Skin Sores ...Also Mixed It Be Very Good To Soothe And Help Muscle Bone Pain I Think You Call That "Rhuemy Of The Bone/Body) hahahahahaha.

So I Be Hoping This Has Help You A Little As To Best Way To Eat And Use The "Yellow Root Plant/Weed" ....And The Best Way We Use It Both The Leaf And Root....And Also Keep Farm Animals Away From It Too As It Be Making Them Very Very Sickly
    ((
    Form From The Void & Mists

Are you talking sorrel
    Not all who wander are lost

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Are you talking sorrel
    Not Sure If You Was Saying That To Me? Wulfie hehehe.
    But Yes Even Though "Sorrell" Be From The "Dock Weeds" I Was Talking About The "Yellow Root Or Curley Edge Dock"...Which Yes Even Though Be From The "Dock" Family It Not Be The One I Was Talking About.....
    The Problem I Be Finging With "Docks" Is There Be Soooo Many Different Ones From The "Dock Family" That Sort Of Do The Same Sort Of Things Etc...It Be Gets Me Sometimes Very Muddled Indeedy hehehe

But I Think...That Sorrell Is Another Type ...Of The "Dock Family "....
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    I was thinking Sorrel too.

It's not sorrel though. It does have it's fair share of nutrition.

Last resort weapon of choice for large animal kill (to feed the many & Not just for Christmas/few) Having paid for week long survival/foraging course before and spending most of my life with food foraged/poached from the Countryside. I'm increasingly aware of the effort and time involved in sourcing food. It's not easy to provide a constant supply and variety of food for even just myself, let alone a family. The problem I found is I can often acquire huge amounts of one or two seasonal crops, vegetation, nuts, fruit, fungi, small animals etc. But to provide large amounts of useable protine, fats, furs, hides, sinew. It would require my ability to catch and kill larger animals. Fox, deer, geese, swan, size.

I'm restricted with legal weapons that I have access to and Im sure some of the travelling community may own even less.

The problem with hunting with bow and arrow is unless the arrow can kill outright, chances are the large animal can continue to invade capture, although seriously injured, it may suffer and die elsewhere, usually in undergrowth and the meat would then be wasted. Accuracy is the issue I find with archery.

Crossbow is my first choice weapon as the bolts are relatively easy to make, therefor sustainable , accuracy is high and combined increased velocity resulting in outright kill more often than not.

However. We/I/ some of us own a legal air riffle. Legally restricted air riffles are not that effective at stopping/killing larger animals.

There is however a simple home made remedy to increase the power/velocity of ordinary air riffle (dieseling) Making them much more effective as a weapon of choice. Inorder to do this 'dieseling' adding simple 'off the shelf' vasilene, lip balm, vapour rub, lubricationg oil, diesel etc, to the compression chamber is all it takes. All will have varying results. But let's just say, Vaseline is petrolum based. Pushing a small dab of Vaseline into the skirt of a .177 or .22 air rifle pellet while it's in the riffle chamber/barrel, works in the same principle as a Diesel engine. Where under compression, the diesel heats up and explodes, forcing the piston down in a engine block.

In a air riffle, this explosion is caused by the compressed air from the riffle mechanism or gas tank compressing the Vaseline and creates a explosion behind the air riffle pellet.

This isnt really healthy for the air riffle longterm and can result in blowing seals, damaging the barrel, destroying the gun altogether etc. But in a survival situation. It could mean the difference between feeding a few for longer or feeding many often.
    I should also point out that 'dieseling' will take the foot/pound pressure over the legal limit, resulting in a illegal firearm. But should the system fail or life depend on successful hunting it's something to consider.

Has any of the air riffle owners tried this dieseling befor?

Tried it with an old rifle, didn't seem to do much except fill the barrel with shit.

Personally if an air rifle is all you have I'd say put a better spring or ram in it and not worry about the legalities.

I would also say that a 22 air rifle pellet isn't going to reliably kill a deer, fox etc, they are just as likely to run off as with your longbow - your better off with a snare, pit or deadfall trap.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Wulfie

Apart from push the rifle above the limit its unlikely to be a useful weapon.The pellet doesnt have sufficient mass to takedown anything other than small pray.Crossbows are far more effective weapons with the right broad hunting heads on a bolt (currently illegal to hunt using crossbows and such tipped bolts) but in a SHTF scenario it would be far more use to you than an air rifle and far more easy to repair maintain and make new bolts than maintain an air rifle and make pellets.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 10-10--2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I can understand your thinking regarding pellet size and velocity. However. Close up, with great accuracy 'pooping' a pellet through the brain is close enough to making the difference. You know yourself you can drop a pellet into a tenpence piece at 10 to 20 yards in the right setting. There's no point trying with either weapon if it's not a clear shot at the most vulnerable part of the animals anatomy. It's not a cruise missile, but it means the difference between taking a shot and going hungry. You don't come across large animals that often and if you've stalked your pray. Giving you that 'edge' is reason to diesel in my opinion. If the animal needs further dispatching that would be pre considered and anything short of caving its skull in with the riffle but or cutting its threat to stop it leaving is the sutustion Om referring to.
    Having seen riffles checked on the chronoscope and taking a standard riffle from 10 to 16. 12 to 19 at best. These pellets are in the realm of a 22 rifle capacity. Even enough to kill a human. Hence illegal.
    Even a trap, pit is not always going to feed us and we really don't appreciate the difficulty and rarity of a good size wild meal.

Transcending
    I'd go with snare/trap. It's going to take more prep so not so good for opportunist kills but much more certain, even if you're still going to need a weapon to finish your catch.
    Yep it's a valid concern though, if we are that much back to basics then hide etc. becomes a nicer solution than trying to make thread, textiles... As a food source big game would be a good feast but for standard animal protein I would think you go with small and easy - like picking winkles off rocks.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Transcending
    Or children of course.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

The average newbie to SHTF scenario wouldnt be accurate enough with a weapon nor aware of the need to zero in sights or account for wind,target movement etc let alone get close enough by stealth to plonk a pellet in the brain.
    I think for most people a pit or spring trap of netting on a well used animal trail would probably be more effective than a weapon but if theyve some ability with one I still think a crossbow more effective.
    Besides in a SHTF scenario youre not going to piddle about tuning up an air rifle,logically youre going to source a proper rifle and ammo if and when you can.

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    The average newbie to SHTF scenario wouldnt be accurate enough with a weapon nor aware of the need to zero in sights.

Besides in a SHTF scenario youre not going to piddle about tuning up an air rifle, logically youre going to source a proper rifle and ammo if and when you can.
    We are not piddling about here, we are simply making that everyday adequate air rifle that the police allow us to have/hold/carry and wiping a tiny bit of vaceline into the back of the pellet. (Even vehicle axel grease can be used, if not synthetic) to make that rifle become a effective defensive weapon with greater capability of killing animals too for food. No tools required.

Its going to be far easier to find 'someone' who can shoot, can 'zero in' to set up 'your gun' and train you in the skill of shooting, even for a share of the kill. far easier than you could ever go 'out locally' and acquire a suitable rifle that can be wound/tuned/turned up. A good rifle/shotgun/ammunition is going to be worth far more than gold in that situation. Just getting quality ammunition for a pellet rifle could be it's biggest downfall. Hence dieseling. Most of us carry a 500 pellet Tin. Maybe we try a few types of pellet, so say 1000 rounds of ammo. Even if dieseling did kill the rifle or shorten its lifespan, one way or another. It's going to end up a log bolted to a steel tube.

I agree traps, pits, any means possible will need to be utilised. Having the ability to stealth shoot is what made the Wild West Wild.

Traps can be set waiting. You can be out hunting at the sametime.

In a SHTF time, a shotgun cartridge will be a valuable commodity in short supply and high demand. I agree crossbows will function better in a cross the board scenario. Hunting and self defence. How many people do you know have a crossbow? How many can make one? We have developed bows and archery to a fine art. Only the archer needs to be developed further. I have 2 recurve bows and one longbow. I would struggle to hit 5 out of ten lurches at 20 yards on a windy day and no chance of hitting a running jack Russell with the longbow.

I agree gathering shellfish or other Sources of protein would be more efficient, if we are near the coast. However. I did say "trying to feed a large group or enough from a single hunt to feed a few for a longer period"

In a SHTF scenario any weapon is going to command a desirability premium.Air weapons are usually in the hands of people who are already gun enthusiasts and who may already have shotgun or firearms.
    Im not saying one shouldnt use dieseling in a SHTF scenario. Specifically using it outside of a SHTF scenario has the potential to land a user in major trouble since it becomes a firearm and requires the appropriate licensing.
    I have a crossbow for target shooting.Agreed not many people own one but theyre much easier weapon to make by a semiskilled woodworker than a firearm and a damnsight easier to use than a longbow.

Small prey is more use, its usually in abundance and theres little problem with storage as it gets eaten quickly.Large game isnt easily consumed by a small unit of people so safe storage becomes an issue.

I prefer the small prey option and gathering whats available, myself because its an easier method of obtaining food than hunting larger game.
    Id prefer somewhere close to both river and coast ie tidal river stretch where youd find a decent balance of small prey ie rabbits game birds plus fish and seafood.Large game are elusive and prefer remote forested areas and that makes food acquisition more problematic.