THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Swine - factory farming & antibiotic resistance

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Swine - factory farming & antibiotic resistance

A new and short documentary about meat and antibiotic resistance!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    They're trying to pass over too many messages. The main one is obviously don't eat meat, but the video is purportedly about a new superbug. I think most viewers will switch off before that section.

Should the superbug appear it will probably wipe out a large chunk of the population, at least Hagrid will get his shtf situation.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    enjoyed that a real eye opener.

Sex
    Male
    I don't eat much pig as it is mostly factory farmed in Australia and I am a freerangertarian. Even if it was free range , I am a bit iffy about the idea of eating pig.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    we buy all our meat in the local weekly market from a local supplier, we haven't eaten supermarket meat for 15 years or more.
    most of these superbugs are caused by antibiotics being over prescribed by GP's for the "worried well" over every cough and sniffle.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"
    The following users think this post is groovy: yazz

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    The implication is that everyone is at risk, even those that don't eat meat or take antibiotics, if you get the bug they don't have anything to fight it with.

I've since seen this reported in the mainstream media, the cynical side of me wonders if it is a great lead in for the next expensive must have antibiotic.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    the over prescribing of antibiotics is the reason why we now have antibiotic resistant super bugs, what we need is less use of antibiotics not more.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Sex
    Female
    Want to stop meat eating?Just do what i did last week,inadvertantly walk closely past an abatoir.What I heard will haunt me.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Cant go near meat now.Maybe free ranging clean roadkill thats all.

Transcending
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by cricket
    Want to stop meat eating?Just do what i did last week,inadvertantly walk closely past an abatoir.What I heard will haunt me.
    Cant go near meat now.Maybe free ranging clean roadkill thats all.
    I don't know what you heard, but I can say that the noise my piglets make when I pick them up could easily lead you to think they were being murdered, when in fact I'm gently handling them. Shut 5 grown pigs in a pen together when they want to get out and the noise is awful.

They don't actually make a sound when I shoot them, because they have their nose in food and no idea what's coming - no trip to the abattoir, no stress at all, the way it should be and would be more often if DEFRA regulations weren't so stupid ( I cannot let anyone else eat my pigs if I kill and prepare them myself, not even people visiting for dinner ).
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I don't know what you heard, but I can say that the noise my piglets make when I pick them up could easily lead you to think they were being murdered, when in fact I'm gently handling them.
    Ahhh memories of Momma pig coming to rescue springs to mind.....
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Sex
    Male
    As a youngster, I had to help my uncle with the pigs when we went to stay. I know times have moved on now and am assuming they use an anaesthetic but the noise those piglets made when they had their tales and balls chopped off kinda stayed with me.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental

Sex
    Male
    They don't actually make a sound when I shoot them, because they have their nose in food and no idea what's coming - no trip to the abattoir, no stress at all, the way it should be
    Amen to that.

To me abattoirs are hell on earth and seeing beasts get taken there causes me upset but I still eat meat. Won't go down the line of the wankers with halal but all that we eat deserves dignity and compassion and antibiotics is one thing I'm unsure of but too many are used.
    I eat 'freerange' whenever possible and organic. The piglady I buy from is organic and some of her meat just doesn't get passed, I'm told, whether it's right or not, due to lack of drugs. I see her stock rooting around her fields and they're happy and well looked after but what would be good would be the bullet in the head, Boatys way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Duckman

Sex
    Female
    Yes ,quick ,clean,after a good life.I used to secretly buy from a friend who was quick and kind.Loud mouthed noisey yobs ignoring a suffering beast for 20 mins .A place of terror,hell and noise.Trading Standards from their local council got a lengthy detailed complaint and request to monitor and ensure implementation of humane procedure.Ive lived long enough with many kinds of beasties to know what sounds mean.Sometimes I would appreciate having less sensitivity.Thick skinned people seem to have an easier life.

Sex
    Male
    In America they have a National Pig Day. Maybe we could have one in the UK as well. Bacon sandwiches and lardy cake galore. As an anthem the Simon& Garfunkel song The Boxer could be modified to be the The Porker.
    Lyrics:
    I am just a poor pig though my story seldom told,
    Corus :
    Li, le LARD, li le lili le LARD etc.
    Any further modification to lyrics most welcome.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.