THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Long life food and recipes for the store cupboard

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Willowstars
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Flour and oil to make flatbreads.
    Flour doesn't last so long, though.

Pasta does though! I remember going to an auction on Clevedon Pier about 1970. They were selling off some seriously large packets of spaghetti (very thick), and I had a good look. They looked OK, the packets were dated 1945.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Dunno, Bryn. My mum died about 19 months back, and I'm still using flour from her cupboards, which was already several years old and well out of date when I picked it up. It probably depends on how well you store it.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by parrotandcrow
    Dunno, Bryn. My mum died about 19 months back, and I'm still using flour from her cupboards, which was already several years old and well out of date when I picked it up. It probably depends on how well you store it.
    Right, I haven't used old flour for a long time but it used to come with built-in tribolium beetle which just multiplied. Maybe it is cleaner nowadays. Atmospheric moisture is also the enemy of flour preservation, here in damp Wales I find that Gram flour in particular becomes quite different in texture after being opened for a couple of weeks.The answer is probably to keep it dry and air-tight, or in non-disastrous times, just don't buy more than you can use in a fortnight!

I've seen people eating tins of beef from the war on the TV that's still edible and the caning factory's weren't so hygienic as now difficult to guess how long something's going to last past its cover are back from being sued date
    just a simple guy

Tinned sponge pudding with tinned custard
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, NomadicRT, patchypete, Uncle jhad, ursus

I have a box 25 x 24hour food ration packs, distributed by the UN. They are out of date now. I gave a couple out to unclejhad and wandering gypsy. Dont know what they made of the contents.

Pot noodles (home brands) are cheap and well stored, will retain nutrients and flavours as they have extra wrapped on powder for longevity.

If buying to store. Check out different dried product brand in different shops. Buy the ones with the longest sell by dates.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, patchypete

Annoyingly Positive Editor DaisyDreamer's Avatar
    Asda do dried burger/sausage packet mix (made from soya protein). They are great made up into meatballs and served with pasta and tinned tomatoes or tinned ratatouille. They also do dried falafel mix which is yummy.

Chicken in white sauce is also good mixed with tinnd sweetcorn and rice or pasta
    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too - Voltaire
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I'm a regular with the chicken in white sauce from lidl's I throw it in with wholemeal pasta lots of chicken in it
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Apparently the old tins blow when they go bad pop out at each end under pressure don't know about easy open ones.
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature
    "Noodles for long life" old Chinese saying.

Noodles are important to me
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I have a box 25 x 24hour food ration packs, distributed by the UN. They are out of date now. I gave a couple out to unclejhad and wandering gypsy. Dont know what they made of the contents. .
    Well me and Harry and still here, and rm will eat anything with Cholula-sauce on, they were pretty good actually, better than life-boat-rations eh Harry?

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Well me and Harry and still here, and rm will eat anything with Cholula-sauce on, they were pretty good actually, better than life-boat-rations eh Harry?
    thanks for the heads up. I'll feed some to the mother in law, next time she pull up for a day or two.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I'm a regular with the chicken in white sauce from lidl's I throw it in with wholemeal pasta lots of chicken in it
    I'm off to Lidl this weekend , gonna try that ...
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

The king of lidl's tins is bacon grill cut into strips and browned in olive oil , it's one of the best things that's ever happened to me
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    The king of lidl's tins is bacon grill cut into strips and browned in olive oil , it's one of the best things that's ever happened to me
    You've not been out much then?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    You've not been out much then?
    If I want excitement I'll open a tin of peach's
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature
    You have tinned peaches? ooh I like them

tinned peaches and a tin of carnation.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Offgrid hero, patchypete, ursus

I've also got some tins of lychees but unsure how to incorporate them successfully into Nomadic life
    just a simple guy

I like them chocolate coated and alsi stuffed with cream cheese /goat cheese yum
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 25-11--2016 at 10:57 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    tinned peaches and a tin of carnation.
    You are a master

indeed lol ... tinned raspberries and carnation(or creme fraiche)

Heavenly Creature
    You got the munchies RT?