Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Long life food and recipes for the store cupboard

Long life food and recipes for the store cupboard

Suggestions for tins/packets/dried produce etc for everyday use and to keep handy for emergencies,plus turning the ingredients into a meal that hit's the spot?
    just a simple guy

Turning On
    Lightest and most space saving has to be pkts of Pasta with sauce - Lidl do Chkn+mushrm or Cheese+broccoli at 35p a pop - just add a little milk+water+whatever veg etc needs using up and simmer for 10mins. Or less nutritious but rapid tumfilling is instant noodles+a few mushrooms/whatever - 18p each, simmer for 3mins. Also various dried savory rice/couscous etc if you prefer (I don't). More substantial is tins of Irish stew/curry/etc about 50p-1 pending on brand/quality etc and can all have extra stuff added. Pasta sauces can be useful bases for bigger meals so obv dried pasta is a must...
    Sorry if that's all flamin' obvious stuff but it's what's in my cupboard and works for me... Bon Appetit ;D
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

I always keep a healthy stock of non perishable food about I don't have a fridge or freezer and I like to stay away from shops for as long as possible.a few things I've found really versatile include packets of savoury rice ,tins of chickpea's , tuna , mushrooms,potatoes, I'm thinking that other people might have some favourite combos to broaden my horizons
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Dried peas beans pulses lentils fruit nuts rice pasta oats and granola packet soups etc wil all last a very long time.Same as tins of fruit soups tomatoes and veg.If you got the space.just rotate and replenish the stock.
    Btw after christmas the puddings and a lot of the pickled or candied goodies will be sold off dirt cheap and they will last months or years.I bought a load of candied fruit fir almost nowt last year ive only just finished using in baked goodies.Still got some pickled stuff too.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, patchypete

Yep tins of Irish stew and chilli are good stuff
    just a simple guy

I'm thinking I should mess around with chickpea's a bit more maybe mash them up and fry them to make some sort of fritter?
    just a simple guy

When I'm in a rush I quite often just add a tin of tuna to some simmering savoury rice with plenty of pepper it's nice .
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Plenty you can do with them and plenty ricipes.on the internet using dried veg or fruit.....Its worth keeping them as they dont deterioate quickly especially if you put them in sealed containers... the main thing is having storage space where Mr and Mrs rodent and the kids cant dine for free....unopened packs i store in a big sealable blue food quality barrel in my van.I occasionally buy bulk from places like Spices of India so i dont have to pay a fortune for packs of dried stuff in supermarket.
    If you dont have freezer then also is worth buying fresh veg when is chesp and salt storing in large pickle or sweet jars.

I'm just starting to increase my capacity at the moment and I've always favoured tins because of rodents and the damp in fact I'm yet to manage to keep salt from going soggy I need to invest in some Tupperware asap
    just a simple guy

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    Suggestions for tins/packets/dried produce etc for everyday use and to keep handy for emergencies,plus turning the ingredients into a meal that hit's the spot?
    Get tins/packets/dried produce of stuff you like, that's a start ... but not tinned haggis

Defo no more haggis
    just a simple guy

I also buy lot of the pasta curry and sweet n sour sauces when theyre dirt cheap ...obviously theyre good filor main meals but you can also use say some of the bolognese suce heated up for.knocking up your own topping on home made pizza or thick toasted bread...i improvise a lot lol

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

I'm just starting to increase my capacity at the moment and I've always favoured tins because of rodents and the damp in fact I'm yet to manage to keep salt from going soggy I need to invest in some Tupperware asap
    Keep your salt in a sealed container with some grains of rice , they absorb the moisture

Fortunately no rodents in my van.I have dozens of large sealable sistema food boxes and stackable lidded crates which keeps everything dry and clean...If i had to store in a shed id use ammo.boxes to keep plastic boxes in.

I've just thought of another old favourite that I've not had in ages Vesta chow mein the long life packet with the crispy noodles that you fry,got to seek that out again
    just a simple guy

lol...i loved those vesta curry meals when i was a kid...dont think.id bother buying them now....oh forgot theres lot.of dried packet ssuces last for sges.like colemans bread /cheese etc.....goid for knocking up quick snacks...camping cauli cheese
    ....also dried milk and egg powder tjough personally i dont use everyday but good for emergency.I usually buy bulk bags of sugar(jam making size) and flour also.

The chow mein was awesome I'm going to remodel my trailer take out the toilet/shower and partition wall get a full sized oven in there and new hobb nice stainless job with cast iron pan supports and a wok ring plus more worktop , going to rack out the whole wall for plastic storage containers and all new pots and pans, I'm up-ing my culinary game
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, patchypete

Cool..im.lucky ive got a full cooker -a 'stoves' job- and 4 ring hob ..it would do my head in not having an oven at all....in my old coach i had a big side by side doubke oven and hobs that came out of a hotel ..had to take it apart to get it in...only thing i miss about my house is not gaving a big kitchen.

I'm looking around for lpg domestic stuff at the moment I'm also going to remove two of the windows and replace them with waterproof boxes accessed from the inside to make two extra cupboards I'll just un-bolt them and re- fit the windows when I move .
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

If i ever get me a truck ill kit it out with full domestic cooker etc...big kitchen and fsrmhouse kitchen table..one end .bed shower room other
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, patchypete

Whoever designed my trailer the storage arrangement baffles me.Ive got tons of storage space in my end bathroom but vurtually non in my central kitchen area...so i have to use my bathroom to store kitchen stuff

I'm end bathroom as well in the past I took the internal door out and the little corner sink cut half the partition away built a sturdy shelf and popped a cheeky little woodburner on top much better.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, patchypete

Flour and oil to make flatbreads. Tins of tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic paste last ages and cheap. Love a special Chinese of super noodles and savoury rice lol

Ive got used to it after 10 years...im thinking i might rent a barn i can park in and build a kitchen in the corner
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-11--2016 at 09:42 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad