THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Lack of sleep!

Sex
    Female

Lack of sleep!

Around the time I went through Menopause (5 yrs ago)my sleeping pattern began to change.I used to sleep through the night with no problem at all,but since hitting Menopause,I wake up pretty much every night.I work 4 days on,4 off.On my days of work,my alarm goes off at 4.30am,and I work 12 hr shifts so in theory,you'd think I'd be sleeping like a baby.I head for bed at 9pm,and have no trouble falling asleep.However.....I wake up at 3am most nights.If I'm working,I do manage to return to sleep but feel exhausted most days.So on average,I get 6 hrs of sleep,and that would ok if I felt refreshed when I wake up,but I dont.Even the days I don't work,I still wake up in the middle of the night,which is bloody annoying!
    I've researched (until the cows come home lol)but so far have found nothing that really worked.I don't drink anything with caffiene in it before bed,don't feel stressed,get plenty of exercise (During work and when I'm off work)and to my knowledge there is no external reason outside (Example....someone starting their car up or whatever)as its very quiet where I live.
    I have tried going to bed later on a work night,at say 10pm(Keeping in mind I have to be up at 4.30am)but all that does is make me more tired as I am still waking up at 3am.I dont take naps during the day either when Im off work.
    Any idea's for a better nights sleep?TIA (Ladies do you think its a Menopause related thing?I didnt suffer at all during Menopause,no hot flushes etc)

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Not at all menopause related but my sleep patterns are the same and always have been,I cant remember many occasions ive slept 8 hours or longer straight unless ive been ill, since i started work...the fitter i was the less sleep i needed.
    Long ago i worked 4 hours on 4 off and later worked rotating shifts of 12 hours 4days on 4 off and i dont work except for myself now but throughout those yesrs ive never slept more than 4.5 to 5 hours....very rarely i may get back to sleep after ive had a drink.and something to eat.The problem is being woken up during the wrong part of the sleep cycle i feel horrible and really tired despite adequate sleep in total.Im often woken by PTSD related issues which doesnt help.
    Our sleep routine becomes set by our daily activity routine so it becomes normal routine to wake up at certsin times even if its not required.but It can be reshaped so you wake more in tune with your daily life .
    Your body goes through phases of light deep and dreaming phases of variable lengths and being woken from deep sleep.can leave you feeling very tired all day.
    If you sleep 5 hours regularly then adjust when you go to bed to wake at 4:30 not 3 ...which msy help with the feeling tired all day at work.....i always caught up with my sleep on days off.
    For me it was pointless sticking to getting up at the same time on dsys off as i would at work because of my rotating shifts pattern but if you only work the same kind of shift pattern then stick to the same routine on your days off and train your body into that habit...it may help.Not everyone needs 8 hours sleep anyway. catnaps are good for you too if you find youre flagging after work.
    Also are their other triggers that wake you ? hunger ,getting too hot/cold etc

Theres plenty on the internet about sleep patterns...google 'learn your sleep cycle' and 'sleep disorders' which may shed more light and help you.
    There are sleep apps too to help assess your sleep patterns using your phone.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 26-11--2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Sex
    Female
    Thanks for replying.It wouldnt be so bad if I felt I didnt need more sleep,but I struggle alot of the time,and don't feel at all refreshed on my days off.I keep thinking there must be a better quality of life for me sleep wise,and on the very odd time I have slept longer than 6 hours I feel a completey different person,just normal I guess?lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: zendaze

They had me doing 12 - 14 hours a night/day, 5 days a week,starting at midnight or 2AM for a while,not good having to be asleep in the middle of the afternoon to be up for the next punch.It very nearly killed me.

I think 12 and + hour shits shouldn`t be allowed,preferably only 8 tops, but max of 10 and if 10,then paid for 12.

Fooking slave drivers

goes out to ya.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, zendaze

Sex
    Female
    Thanks Nomis,not sure about 12+ hr "shits"?Hahahahahahaha (Read your post back! ) Its ok,its my own choice to work those 12 hr shifts,although I am currently looking for another job with less hours.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I think 12 and + hour shits shouldn`t be allowed
    I know. They leave you feeling completely pooped.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    4 on 4 off, goodbye life

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    day nights afters sometimes in the winter you never saw daylight by thursday on nights did not know where i was poelpe talking to you like they were talking down a tube to you on afters getting up at 2 am thinking time to get up for days but no more

Sex
    Male
    In my experience the type of fat and oil in your diet can affect your sleep.
    Avoid:
    Margarine, cotton seed oil - usually labelled vegetable oil- canola oil, sunflower oil. If you are going to include milk in your diet , go for full cream milk or better still raw milk. Avoid skimmed milk like the plague. SMP is found in many junk foods.
    Include:
    Butter, cheese, dripping, olive oil of you can ascertain it is genuine - there is a great deal of fake olive oil out there- duck fat and lard. Coconut oil is fine in the morning but not last thing at night.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

Sex
    Female
    Hmm tbh before I started my current job,I was working Mon-Fri 7am-3pm and the weekends went so bloody fast.By the time I finished doing what I was doing around the house,shopping for the week etc,no time to really unwind totally.4 days off is much better,just I need more sleep.
    This bad sleeping pattern started way before I started my current job.Only been in it for nearly two years,sleeping's been crap for 5 yrs.
    Skimmed milk?I do use SM regularly?Whats the issue with it?Curious to know please?

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Skimmed milk?I do use SM regularly?Whats the issue with it?Curious to know please?
    Just going by personal experience.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Ok I haven't reached menopause but I suffered for years and years and years with insomnia. Then, I gave up sugar. Not all natural sugars but swapped all nasty stuff out of my diet. Literally within 10 days my insomnia was cured
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Sleep is so difficult sometimes......its not always this simple though.......anxiety culture might be partionally responsible OR if you really do have a 'choice' your body's feedback mechanisms may be demanding more attention.........ie....... stop........maybe?